GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 14:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth vs Columbia for a General Management (±Tech) Career

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school should I attend for a career in General Management (±Techh)?

• 37% [3]
  • 62% [5]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Booth   Columbia   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Booth vs Columbia for a General Management (±Tech) Career  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2015, 19:59
Hello, all.

I am an Asian female residing in the US for work. I have five years of banking experience and am looking to make a career pivot through my MBA. I am evaluating whether to enroll at Booth or Columbia.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on which program would be more useful in helping me achieve my career goals. I am not exactly sure of what I want to do, but here are the few options I am keen on exploring:

1. Product Management type of roles at Tech firms
2. Rotational/Leadership programs at MNCs
3. Corporate Finance roles at established companies
4. Go back to IBD/Sales/Trading/Investment Management (if #1-3 does not happen).

Please let me know your thoughts from the perspectives of:

1. Curriculum
2. The impact of location (NYC/Chicago) on recruitment and networking opportunities.
3. Alumni strength in these industries/locations/both
4. Recruiting companies' openness to hiring students without a work authorization (I'm on L1 right now).

Thank you for taking the time to help me!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Booth vs Columbia for a General Management (±Tech) Career  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Dec 2015, 22:17
Welcome to GMAT Club and Congratulations on getting into 2 great MBA programs. I don't think you will be disappointed with either. If you are looking for a Finance role then Yes on both accounts. As to your first 2 goals - I am not so sure. The traditional way of vetting schools has been to check with admissions, any public school materials published or most often getting your hands dirty on Linkedin and going through the employee list of companies you are looking to get a job in. E.g. Amazon, FB, Google, MS, Dropbox, Apple, etc and looking at any hiring patterns you can notice. That's something fun to do on a weekend :wink:

In general, it is going to be a bit hard to compare and contrast the two programs but there are differences:
  • Location: NYC vs. Chicago. Seemingly the same (vibrant metro center), it actually makes a difference. I feel that difference is felt across the board - Chicago Booth does have a competitor in the city - Kellogg but the two schools are able to dominate a lot of the midwest. However, NYC sees a big influx from all the Ivy league up north - MIT, Tuck, Yale, HBS, and of course Stern - they have to find a job somewhere right? And the most logical place is NYC. My guess is that is one reason that CBS stands at 75% of grads employoed at graduation and Booth stands at 87%. That's a meaningful difference that is not a sign of CBS's weakness but rather the competition if faces in its home market. Ultimately if you want to stay in Chicago, you will have a great home team advantage but probably not as much with CBS.... on the other hand if you are planning to move to LA or SF after graduation, I am not sure it matters a whole lot. But this does erode the traditional advantage you may assume exists if an MNC has an office in NYC.
  • Booth is stronger in the GM or Leadership placements and interest. Both schools focus on Finance and Consulting (traditionally big areas in many schools) but Booth has 20% of all grads going into General Management/Leadership whereas CBS has 5%
  • Booth's new venture challenge and incubator for startups (a lot of tech) is a noteworthy mention (does CBS have anything like that?)

Similarities:

• Both are heavy in Finance and Consulting. Booth is a Finance & Consulting School (350 or 65% of all grads went there); CBS has placed similar numbers but it works out at about 45% (323 people went into those industries)
  • Experience, I think you won't be disappointed with either.
  • Size: CBS is about 25% larger than Booth - it is not a major consideration (570 vs. 720)

P.S. There is nothing the two schools do differently for work permits. There are, however, different options for loans without co-signers for international applicants (I remember CBS discontinued them a while ago and got a lot of people really upset who were left hanging). Booth has a second option/deal but both schools are covered under the Prodigy Finance program for Elite Bschools.

P.P.S. Also, thanks to those handy tags, take a look at the existing/last year's discussions about Booth/CBS - you may learn quite a bit, just remember it is a year or two old info.

Originally posted by bb on 07 Dec 2015, 22:14.
Last edited by bb on 07 Dec 2015, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Tags
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge
Re: Booth vs Columbia for a General Management (±Tech) Career  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 04:06
Maybe this will help?

Source for all data: 2014 reports.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 08:52
Regarding CBS Cost of Attendance: 50k in rent and 31k in food? Seems a bit excessive ...
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 19:18
It's a tad on the higher side, but not unimaginable for sure. Where would you put those numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus RSM "22
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 03:24
Congrats for both school. They are great.

You have stated wide variety of career paths, which, in turn, will affect answers about the following question. Both schools are in vibrant cities with a lot of opportunities for jobs. The cost of living is close. So it is up to you. Both schools have great reputation in finance and consulting as bb outlined. Both are mills in those fields.

You are the only one who can judge if you like the curriculum or not. I advise you to go the website and check the catalog, if you are leaning to certain courses. Also, try to connect directly with alumni from each school.

Regarding the work permit, you have the right to stay for 12 months under OPT program without work permit. In that time, if you proved yourself, the company will continue to apply for work visa. However, it is not guaranteed that you will have it. Last year, 233000 applicants applied for visa, while only available was 85000.

I wish you good luck
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Booth vs Columbia for a General Management (±Tech) Career   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2015, 03:24

Booth vs Columbia for a General Management (±Tech) Career

new topic post reply Update application status