GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 31 Mar 2020, 15:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth ($$) vs Sloan (0)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Where should I go?

• 42% [12]
  • 42% [12]
  • 3% [1]
  • 10% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V50
Booth ($$) vs Sloan (0)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Apr 2019, 18:21
Hi all,

Full context: Recently was lucky enough to be admitted to Columbia ($50k per year), Booth ($40k per year), Kellogg and Sloan.

I'm hoping to pivot from operations pre-MBA to an MBB. At the same time, I'm also very interested in entrepreneurship and innovation - would like to invest in that in my time not spent recruiting for consulting.

I think I'm down to Booth and Sloan as the two programs best fit for me (entrepreneurial, rigorous) - Is the Sloan experience and MIT's cache in tech worth forgoing the scholarship at Booth? Also, would there be any chance to actually ask Sloan for a merit scholarship?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Originally posted by 4thyear92 on 02 Apr 2019, 13:25.
Last edited by 4thyear92 on 02 Apr 2019, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Booth ($$) vs Sloan (0)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 14:12
4thyear92 wrote:
Also, would there be any chance to actually ask Sloan for a merit scholarship?

Yes, be forthcoming with your scholarship situation at Booth and Columbia. I think Sloan may be inclined to match the offer, if they have the scholarship money, since both CBS and Booth are peer schools.

I would frame your ask as such: "I got a $100K scholarship from Columbia and $80K scholarship from Booth, but Sloan is my number one choice because of [XYZ], so if you could match their scholarship offers it would be a no brainer for me to come to Sloan."

This way you're not giving them an ultimatum and leaves the door open in case you still want to attend Sloan even without the scholarship. Of course, if they match, you better enroll at Sloan otherwise it would look really bad :)
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 16:03
Wilch wrote:
4thyear92 wrote:
Also, would there be any chance to actually ask Sloan for a merit scholarship?

Yes, be forthcoming with your scholarship situation at Booth and Columbia. I think Sloan may be inclined to match the offer, if they have the scholarship money, since both CBS and Booth are peer schools.

I would frame your ask as such: "I got a $100K scholarship from Columbia and $80K scholarship from Booth, but Sloan is my number one choice because of [XYZ], so if you could match their scholarship offers it would be a no brainer for me to come to Sloan."

This way you're not giving them an ultimatum and leaves the door open in case you still want to attend Sloan even without the scholarship. Of course, if they match, you better enroll at Sloan otherwise it would look really bad :)

Thanks Wilch! I really liked the way you phrased it. I'll shoot them a note to set up a call.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 17:25
Congrats on getting into amazing programs! Both consulting MBB powerhouses. Honestly, since you are looking to go into a lucrative industry, scholarship money should not be much of a factor here (but of course it would not hurt to ask for more money). Go were you feel the best fit and best chances of success in your career.

For entrepreneurship: MIT Sloan wins hands down. Sloan has a bigger/better startup ecosystem than Booth.

MIT's resources in Entrepreneurship are limitless: The world renowned Martin Trust Center that throws money at any startup through its doors, MIT's Sandbox, Cross-MIT resources, DE Lab, G-Lab, MIT's 100k Competition, VCs parked right on campus that focus all of their funds on MIT startups - are all hard to turn down.
Perhaps by quantifying MIT's resources it will surpass Booth's scholarship.

Congrats on getting into two amazing schools! Best of luck in your decision!
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 19:24
It's worth seeing if Sloan will match Booth/CBS but they tend to be less generous with scholarships so may be difficult. I think this would be a tough call if scholarships are equal but with $80K at Booth and nothing at Sloan the choice seems clear. Booth has a ton of resources for entrepreneurship including the New Venture Challenge one of the top accelerators in the nation (http://www.seedrankings.com/).
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 06:56
Easy. It's an $80K difference in price.
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2019, 07:28
Thanks all! Wanted to share my decision with this crew. I'm headed to Chicago!

Even though MIT ultimately did partially match Booth, I really enjoyed First Day and felt that the school is a bit more well-rounded as a business school. Both schools have great resources and processes when it comes to recruiting for consulting so I couldn't go wrong.

In the end, it was close but I vibed a bit more with the folks I met at Booth! $$ didn't hurt either but I tried to underweight that as much as possible.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2019, 08:47
Good choice! MITs employment report does not have the depth of employers that’s booth has. They have a few limited engineering/tech companies and a few banks, and Booth has a wide range of employers.
Despite a slight difference in median base salary, I feel MIT has fewer 3 month % offers accepted is significantly lower than Booth

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Booth ($$) vs Sloan (0)   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2019, 08:47

Booth ($$) vs Sloan (0)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste