Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which school would you choose if you were me?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50% [#permalink]
Kudos
Awesome position you're in! I think Yale is out (sorry SOM but the other two options are much better)
If you want banking/consulting/any other very competitive area (IM, PE, VC type thing) post MBA, then definitely Booth. If you're looking for neither of those and would rather save money, then Fuqua...? That seems the most logical choice to me.
Oh, just realized you said you don't want banking/consulting. What will be the actual COA? I guess you can analyze them, and compare. It seems to me that some people who went to M7 on a high debt (vs low debt on T15) seem to regret their decisions unless they are making north of 250K because of excruciating debt. However, your Booth debt won't be "excruciating." As a fellow person who would choose non banking/consulting career, I chose Stern 100% over an M7 50% ish school. Can't go wrong though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50% [#permalink]
Tough choice. I vote for Booth
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kksk8er12 - forgot to compliment you on using the school appropriate colors! Good attention to detail! ;-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
If you really like Yale, tell them you have 75% from Booth and 100% from Fuqua and politely ask them to match. You have great leverage and the worst they can do is say no.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Booth seems like the easy call here given it will only cost marginally more than Fuqua
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Hi kksk8er12,

Congratulations for the admits to these great programs...

I was wondering how much you scored in GMAT and what was there in your profile that made them giving you such a nice offers. Could you please share that if you don't mind sharing it.

Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi kksk8er12,

I was wondering how much you scored in GMAT and what was there in your profile that made them giving you such a nice offers. Could you please share that if you don't mind sharing it.

Thanks.

Usually would not be driven by the GMAT score but a profile (WE, accomplishments, resume and interview performance). A school may be interested in a perticular background - eg. a Special forces person or investment banker or SEC clerk or pro golfer or an otherwise accomplished individual. Has to be more than a score to get a scholarship in a top 10.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi kksk8er12,

Thanks.

Usually would not be driven by the GMAT score but a profile (WE, accomplishments, resume and interview performance). A school may be interested in a perticular background - eg. a Special forces person or investment banker or SEC clerk or pro golfer or an otherwise accomplished individual. Has to be more than a score to get a scholarship in a top 10.

Posted from my mobile device

thanks - i took the GRE and got a 323, high verbal, mediocre quant
I think that for me it's my unusual business experience [consumer goods industry, travel and tourism industry] in a limited amount of time, and my continued commitment to extracurriculars [that i started in college, continued to be involved in post-college] that stood out, but who really knows!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
ket310 wrote:
Awesome position you're in! I think Yale is out (sorry SOM but the other two options are much better)
If you want banking/consulting/any other very competitive area (IM, PE, VC type thing) post MBA, then definitely Booth. If you're looking for neither of those and would rather save money, then Fuqua...? That seems the most logical choice to me.
Oh, just realized you said you don't want banking/consulting. What will be the actual COA? I guess you can analyze them, and compare. It seems to me that some people who went to M7 on a high debt (vs low debt on T15) seem to regret their decisions unless they are making north of 250K because of excruciating debt. However, your Booth debt won't be "excruciating." As a fellow person who would choose non banking/consulting career, I chose Stern 100% over an M7 50% ish school. Can't go wrong though.

thanks for the insight. i'm super torn based on what you said. since i come from a family background where growing up our financial situation swung like a pendulum, i'm extremely sensitive to debt, BUT i know that i need to invest in myself and this is one of the more sure investments i can make. appreciate hearing an opinion that has been different than most people i've spoken with so far.

would your recommendation change with HBS in the mix? just recently found out i was admitted there as well
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Whoa! Congratulations on your offers!

Here are a few thoughts:
1. All of these programs are fairly good size. People come in all shapes and characters. You will likely hate some and love some in ALL of these programs. Unless you have a fairly extensive experience with folks, I would not judge each program based on just a limited number of interactions such as the admit weekend.

2. Study Abroad programs come as a double-edge sword. First - they are cool. You get to be in another part of the world and visit some of the best schools outside of the US. A lot of the time you get Pass/Fail grades that don't count towards your GPA (Not that it is important but your scholarship will usually require maintaining at least a 3.0, which again is not hart at all) but it allows you to focus on things other than getting perfect grades. You will have a ton of opportunities to travel and network and meet new people. Some of them may be stronger connections that what you will form in your program. At the same time, you will be leaving in Aug and coming back in Dec (let me know if you are thinking of a different schedule) and that's a sensitive time since that's when all of the recruiting for the best positions seems to happen so you will have to fly back for the on campus recruiting events or miss out on a number of them. Not to say that you will get disconnected with your peer group/cohort and have to deal with storing your possessions for 4 months and then looking for a place to rent when you come back in late Dec (you can assume, you will be holding your place and paying double rent most likely). However, having done Study Abroad, i can say it was a fantastic experience and one that you can't get any other way but it comes at a price.

3. Fuqua has a big Team Fuqua emphasis, which many find very attractive while Booth tends to be a bit more freedom and opportunities with people doing their own things. Booth has the advantage of being an actual city where you can live in Downtown and have some life on weekends and whenever you are not studying. Not sure how much importance that has but that seems a big diff for Booth vs. Fuqua/Yale.

4. I feel recruiting would be meaningfully more diverse and interesting at Booth so that could be one justification to pay a premium. It is a top 3 school these days. Fourth year in a row. If you are after the best MBA and best MBA experience, it hardly gets any better. If you are someone who double-guesses their decisions or takes a long time to make one, the perhaps err on the safe side to avoid a moment of regret after a hard day. At the same time, if you are a frugal person who does not like to splurge, then don't tempt the fate ;-)

I think you are looking at 100% at Fuqua or 75% at Booth and I would focus on the value that the program brings and experience you are looking for. Probably not worry as much about people at this stage - you will likely find a great fit at any of these programs.

thank you for the advice! a booth grad i spoke with also mentioned your first point, so i'm glad to hear it echoed here. i'm definitely a frugal person and parting with money is hard, but i'm starting to realize how expensive an MBA is in general if i want the full experience [travel, coffee chats, career treks, blah blah...]

would your recommendation change with HBS in the mix? just recently found out i was admitted there as well and will likely get about 25-30k/ year in financial aid
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
kksk8er12 wrote:

thanks for the insight. i'm super torn based on what you said. since i come from a family background where growing up our financial situation swung like a pendulum, i'm extremely sensitive to debt, BUT i know that i need to invest in myself and this is one of the more sure investments i can make. appreciate hearing an opinion that has been different than most people i've spoken with so far.

would your recommendation change with HBS in the mix? just recently found out i was admitted there as well

Wow congrats.! I haven't been to HBS or any MBA yet, so it's hard to recommend you on the option. If I were you, I'd take Fuqua 100%, even over HBS (but I might take Booth 75% if I'm set on banking/consulting) , but that's just me. I leave these two reflections from Harvard and Booth grads. HBS network could be awesome, but not sure if it's worth that much money especially if you're looking for post MBA jobs that pay less. I might be ridiculously debt averse in some peoples' eyes, but hey, it's my money not someone else's. Same applies to you.

HBS Grad: https://gmatclub.com/forum/two-years-af ... 15359.html
Booth Grad: https://gmatclub.com/forum/3-years-post ... fl=similar
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
bb, you are a rockstar to have noticed that!

bb wrote:
Whoa! Congratulations on your offers!

Here are a few thoughts:
1. All of these programs are fairly good size. People come in all shapes and characters. You will likely hate some and love some in ALL of these programs. Unless you have a fairly extensive experience with folks, I would not judge each program based on just a limited number of interactions such as the admit weekend.

2. Study Abroad programs come as a double-edge sword. First - they are cool. You get to be in another part of the world and visit some of the best schools outside of the US. A lot of the time you get Pass/Fail grades that don't count towards your GPA (Not that it is important but your scholarship will usually require maintaining at least a 3.0, which again is not hart at all) but it allows you to focus on things other than getting perfect grades. You will have a ton of opportunities to travel and network and meet new people. Some of them may be stronger connections that what you will form in your program. At the same time, you will be leaving in Aug and coming back in Dec (let me know if you are thinking of a different schedule) and that's a sensitive time since that's when all of the recruiting for the best positions seems to happen so you will have to fly back for the on campus recruiting events or miss out on a number of them. Not to say that you will get disconnected with your peer group/cohort and have to deal with storing your possessions for 4 months and then looking for a place to rent when you come back in late Dec (you can assume, you will be holding your place and paying double rent most likely). However, having done Study Abroad, i can say it was a fantastic experience and one that you can't get any other way but it comes at a price.

3. Fuqua has a big Team Fuqua emphasis, which many find very attractive while Booth tends to be a bit more freedom and opportunities with people doing their own things. Booth has the advantage of being an actual city where you can live in Downtown and have some life on weekends and whenever you are not studying. Not sure how much importance that has but that seems a big diff for Booth vs. Fuqua/Yale.

4. I feel recruiting would be meaningfully more diverse and interesting at Booth so that could be one justification to pay a premium. It is a top 3 school these days. Fourth year in a row. If you are after the best MBA and best MBA experience, it hardly gets any better. If you are someone who double-guesses their decisions or takes a long time to make one, the perhaps err on the safe side to avoid a moment of regret after a hard day. At the same time, if you are a frugal person who does not like to splurge, then don't tempt the fate ;-)

I think you are looking at 100% at Fuqua or 75% at Booth and I would focus on the value that the program brings and experience you are looking for. Probably not worry as much about people at this stage - you will likely find a great fit at any of these programs.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts