GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 21:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school would you choose if you were me?

  • 7% [4]
  • 80% [41]
  • 11% [6]
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 May 2018
Posts: 4
Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 11:40
1
Hey guys,

need help evaluating!!

As the title says, got into Booth w/ 75% tuition scholarship, fuqua w/ 100% tuition scholarship, and yale with 50% scholarship

I come from a liberal arts background and Post MBA dont plan to do banking or consulting...help me figure out which to choose!
I will be self-financing [red: using savings and loans].

Yale
-Pros: fit [love the people]
-Cons: doesn't have the study abroad i want to do, and is $$$

Booth
-Pros: I liked the people pretty well, has study abroad I want, and it's No 3.
-Cons: high cost of living even with the scholarship

Fuqua
-Pros: program I like, study abroad I like, full $$, low cost of living and possibly coming out without debt
-Cons: not booth, not as great people fit

Any advice/ additional things I should consider would be much appreciated!
RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 789
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 15:33
Hello kksk8er12 ....welcome to the community. Congratulations !! for the admits to these great programs.

It is true that Fuqua 's full ride is hard to pass. But again you have the best option in Booth.
I really don't see any negatives there .... you like the program & people, the program itself is in the top bracket and you have 75% scholarship.
If you can manage the rest of the tuition & cost of living through loans..... that would not pose a big problem post-MBA.
Saying that, its finally your decision. But, this degree and the school will be there in your resume for the rest of your life.

All the best!!
_________________
Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18219
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 15:47
Whoa! Congratulations on your offers!

Here are a few thoughts:
1. All of these programs are fairly good size. People come in all shapes and characters. You will likely hate some and love some in ALL of these programs. Unless you have a fairly extensive experience with folks, I would not judge each program based on just a limited number of interactions such as the admit weekend.

2. Study Abroad programs come as a double-edge sword. First - they are cool. You get to be in another part of the world and visit some of the best schools outside of the US. A lot of the time you get Pass/Fail grades that don't count towards your GPA (Not that it is important but your scholarship will usually require maintaining at least a 3.0, which again is not hart at all) but it allows you to focus on things other than getting perfect grades. You will have a ton of opportunities to travel and network and meet new people. Some of them may be stronger connections that what you will form in your program. At the same time, you will be leaving in Aug and coming back in Dec (let me know if you are thinking of a different schedule) and that's a sensitive time since that's when all of the recruiting for the best positions seems to happen so you will have to fly back for the on campus recruiting events or miss out on a number of them. Not to say that you will get disconnected with your peer group/cohort and have to deal with storing your possessions for 4 months and then looking for a place to rent when you come back in late Dec (you can assume, you will be holding your place and paying double rent most likely). However, having done Study Abroad, i can say it was a fantastic experience and one that you can't get any other way but it comes at a price.

3. Fuqua has a big Team Fuqua emphasis, which many find very attractive while Booth tends to be a bit more freedom and opportunities with people doing their own things. Booth has the advantage of being an actual city where you can live in Downtown and have some life on weekends and whenever you are not studying. Not sure how much importance that has but that seems a big diff for Booth vs. Fuqua/Yale.

4. I feel recruiting would be meaningfully more diverse and interesting at Booth so that could be one justification to pay a premium. It is a top 3 school these days. Fourth year in a row. If you are after the best MBA and best MBA experience, it hardly gets any better. If you are someone who double-guesses their decisions or takes a long time to make one, the perhaps err on the safe side to avoid a moment of regret after a hard day. At the same time, if you are a frugal person who does not like to splurge, then don't tempt the fate ;-)


I think you are looking at 100% at Fuqua or 75% at Booth and I would focus on the value that the program brings and experience you are looking for. Probably not worry as much about people at this stage - you will likely find a great fit at any of these programs.
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Posts: 54
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 03:09
2
Awesome position you're in! I think Yale is out (sorry SOM but the other two options are much better)
If you want banking/consulting/any other very competitive area (IM, PE, VC type thing) post MBA, then definitely Booth. If you're looking for neither of those and would rather save money, then Fuqua...? That seems the most logical choice to me.
Oh, just realized you said you don't want banking/consulting. What will be the actual COA? I guess you can analyze them, and compare. It seems to me that some people who went to M7 on a high debt (vs low debt on T15) seem to regret their decisions unless they are making north of 250K because of excruciating debt. However, your Booth debt won't be "excruciating." As a fellow person who would choose non banking/consulting career, I chose Stern 100% over an M7 50% ish school. Can't go wrong though.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Mar 2019
Posts: 28
Schools: Anderson '21 (A)
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 07:44
Tough choice. I vote for Booth
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18219
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 09:16
1
kksk8er12 - forgot to compliment you on using the school appropriate colors! Good attention to detail! ;-)
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 147
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 10:42
1
If you really like Yale, tell them you have 75% from Booth and 100% from Fuqua and politely ask them to match. You have great leverage and the worst they can do is say no.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 286
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 18:09
Booth seems like the easy call here given it will only cost marginally more than Fuqua
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 186
Reviews Badge
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 08:06
Hi kksk8er12,

Congratulations for the admits to these great programs...

I was wondering how much you scored in GMAT and what was there in your profile that made them giving you such a nice offers. Could you please share that if you don't mind sharing it.

Thanks.
_________________
______________________________
Press +1 Kudos if my post helped you a little and help me to ulcock the tests ;) Wish you all success

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts


Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere and help me to learn :-)
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18219
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 08:17
1
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi kksk8er12,

Congratulations for the admits to these great programs...

I was wondering how much you scored in GMAT and what was there in your profile that made them giving you such a nice offers. Could you please share that if you don't mind sharing it.

Thanks.


Usually would not be driven by the GMAT score but a profile (WE, accomplishments, resume and interview performance). A school may be interested in a perticular background - eg. a Special forces person or investment banker or SEC clerk or pro golfer or an otherwise accomplished individual. Has to be more than a score to get a scholarship in a top 10.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 May 2018
Posts: 4
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 14:17
1
bb wrote:
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi kksk8er12,

Congratulations for the admits to these great programs...

I was wondering how much you scored in GMAT and what was there in your profile that made them giving you such a nice offers. Could you please share that if you don't mind sharing it.

Thanks.


Usually would not be driven by the GMAT score but a profile (WE, accomplishments, resume and interview performance). A school may be interested in a perticular background - eg. a Special forces person or investment banker or SEC clerk or pro golfer or an otherwise accomplished individual. Has to be more than a score to get a scholarship in a top 10.

Posted from my mobile device



thanks - i took the GRE and got a 323, high verbal, mediocre quant
I think that for me it's my unusual business experience [consumer goods industry, travel and tourism industry] in a limited amount of time, and my continued commitment to extracurriculars [that i started in college, continued to be involved in post-college] that stood out, but who really knows!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 May 2018
Posts: 4
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 14:21
ket310 wrote:
Awesome position you're in! I think Yale is out (sorry SOM but the other two options are much better)
If you want banking/consulting/any other very competitive area (IM, PE, VC type thing) post MBA, then definitely Booth. If you're looking for neither of those and would rather save money, then Fuqua...? That seems the most logical choice to me.
Oh, just realized you said you don't want banking/consulting. What will be the actual COA? I guess you can analyze them, and compare. It seems to me that some people who went to M7 on a high debt (vs low debt on T15) seem to regret their decisions unless they are making north of 250K because of excruciating debt. However, your Booth debt won't be "excruciating." As a fellow person who would choose non banking/consulting career, I chose Stern 100% over an M7 50% ish school. Can't go wrong though.



thanks for the insight. i'm super torn based on what you said. since i come from a family background where growing up our financial situation swung like a pendulum, i'm extremely sensitive to debt, BUT i know that i need to invest in myself and this is one of the more sure investments i can make. appreciate hearing an opinion that has been different than most people i've spoken with so far.

would your recommendation change with HBS in the mix? just recently found out i was admitted there as well
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 May 2018
Posts: 4
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 14:23
bb wrote:
Whoa! Congratulations on your offers!

Here are a few thoughts:
1. All of these programs are fairly good size. People come in all shapes and characters. You will likely hate some and love some in ALL of these programs. Unless you have a fairly extensive experience with folks, I would not judge each program based on just a limited number of interactions such as the admit weekend.

2. Study Abroad programs come as a double-edge sword. First - they are cool. You get to be in another part of the world and visit some of the best schools outside of the US. A lot of the time you get Pass/Fail grades that don't count towards your GPA (Not that it is important but your scholarship will usually require maintaining at least a 3.0, which again is not hart at all) but it allows you to focus on things other than getting perfect grades. You will have a ton of opportunities to travel and network and meet new people. Some of them may be stronger connections that what you will form in your program. At the same time, you will be leaving in Aug and coming back in Dec (let me know if you are thinking of a different schedule) and that's a sensitive time since that's when all of the recruiting for the best positions seems to happen so you will have to fly back for the on campus recruiting events or miss out on a number of them. Not to say that you will get disconnected with your peer group/cohort and have to deal with storing your possessions for 4 months and then looking for a place to rent when you come back in late Dec (you can assume, you will be holding your place and paying double rent most likely). However, having done Study Abroad, i can say it was a fantastic experience and one that you can't get any other way but it comes at a price.

3. Fuqua has a big Team Fuqua emphasis, which many find very attractive while Booth tends to be a bit more freedom and opportunities with people doing their own things. Booth has the advantage of being an actual city where you can live in Downtown and have some life on weekends and whenever you are not studying. Not sure how much importance that has but that seems a big diff for Booth vs. Fuqua/Yale.

4. I feel recruiting would be meaningfully more diverse and interesting at Booth so that could be one justification to pay a premium. It is a top 3 school these days. Fourth year in a row. If you are after the best MBA and best MBA experience, it hardly gets any better. If you are someone who double-guesses their decisions or takes a long time to make one, the perhaps err on the safe side to avoid a moment of regret after a hard day. At the same time, if you are a frugal person who does not like to splurge, then don't tempt the fate ;-)


I think you are looking at 100% at Fuqua or 75% at Booth and I would focus on the value that the program brings and experience you are looking for. Probably not worry as much about people at this stage - you will likely find a great fit at any of these programs.



thank you for the advice! a booth grad i spoke with also mentioned your first point, so i'm glad to hear it echoed here. i'm definitely a frugal person and parting with money is hard, but i'm starting to realize how expensive an MBA is in general if i want the full experience [travel, coffee chats, career treks, blah blah...]

would your recommendation change with HBS in the mix? just recently found out i was admitted there as well and will likely get about 25-30k/ year in financial aid
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Posts: 54
Location: United States (NY)
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2019, 19:12
kksk8er12 wrote:

thanks for the insight. i'm super torn based on what you said. since i come from a family background where growing up our financial situation swung like a pendulum, i'm extremely sensitive to debt, BUT i know that i need to invest in myself and this is one of the more sure investments i can make. appreciate hearing an opinion that has been different than most people i've spoken with so far.

would your recommendation change with HBS in the mix? just recently found out i was admitted there as well


Wow congrats.! I haven't been to HBS or any MBA yet, so it's hard to recommend you on the option. If I were you, I'd take Fuqua 100%, even over HBS (but I might take Booth 75% if I'm set on banking/consulting) , but that's just me. I leave these two reflections from Harvard and Booth grads. HBS network could be awesome, but not sure if it's worth that much money especially if you're looking for post MBA jobs that pay less. I might be ridiculously debt averse in some peoples' eyes, but hey, it's my money not someone else's. Same applies to you.

HBS Grad: https://gmatclub.com/forum/two-years-af ... 15359.html
Booth Grad: https://gmatclub.com/forum/3-years-post ... fl=similar
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2019, 19:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Booth with 75% scholarship vs Fuqua with 100% vs Yale with 50%

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne