Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 07:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Business School Consulting/Tech Recruiting - ASK ME ANYTHING

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Business School Consulting/Tech Recruiting - ASK ME ANYTHING  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 21:34
Hello, fellow business-school-ers. Wondering if your long term goal is too unrealistic? Don't know which tech role applies to your current job? Happy to help and share my journey recruiting for tech and consulting this year at Ross. I hope other current students join in and we can keep this discussion rolling for the ages!
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Business School Consulting/Tech Recruiting - ASK ME ANYTHING  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 22:36
souvik101990 wrote:
Hello, fellow business-school-ers. Wondering if your long term goal is too unrealistic? Don't know which tech role applies to your current job? Happy to help and share my journey recruiting for tech and consulting this year at Ross. I hope other current students join in and we can keep this discussion rolling for the ages!

Thanks souvik101990 for starting this thread.

I have 7.5 Years (5 Years at International Location) Experience in IT mainly Consulting. Have been to various countries such as Malaysia, Singapore, UK, Vietnam for Project related Work. I am planning to apply for MBA this year at any cost. My last attempt at GMAT was 700 and I am looking to increase my score this time. Do you think my Experience, Age (30 Years) will have negative Impact on my candidature? For MBA, I am targetting Top - 20 B-Schools mainly with good consulting placement record. Are my Target Schools a Stretch or realistic? Please advise.
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Business School Consulting/Tech Recruiting - ASK ME ANYTHING  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 19:46
I'm at a lower ranked school (and a much smaller class), so I am curious to see what the fall season consulting presence was like at Ross. Were there multiple info sessions held by companies, invite only events, networking events etc? I'd also be interested to see how MBB vs tier 2/boutique broke down as well, to see if there were differences in approach.

Thanks!
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 10:19
cxa0897 wrote:
I'm at a lower ranked school (and a much smaller class), so I am curious to see what the fall season consulting presence was like at Ross. Were there multiple info sessions held by companies, invite only events, networking events etc? I'd also be interested to see how MBB vs tier 2/boutique broke down as well, to see if there were differences in approach.

Thanks!

Yeah MBB was pretty firmly present at Ross. Tons of networking but Bain had the most presence I think (I could be biased but probably not). Besides MBB, EY PWC and Deloitte was in campus with tons of events as well. I only know these because they sponsor. AT Kearney was on campus for one session and they did virtual coffee chats. KPMG, Accenture were there but I did not follow them. Oliver Wyman and LEK were missing. How was the experience in your school?
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 12:14
souvik101990 wrote:
Yeah MBB was pretty firmly present at Ross. Tons of networking but Bain had the most presence I think (I could be biased but probably not). Besides MBB, EY PWC and Deloitte was in campus with tons of events as well. I only know these because they sponsor. AT Kearney was on campus for one session and they did virtual coffee chats. KPMG, Accenture were there but I did not follow them. Oliver Wyman and LEK were missing. How was the experience in your school?

Much weaker, as I expected. Mck, Deloitte, Accenture, and a few boutiques made early season appearances for short info sessions and lunches (mainly alum revisiting) and they are now making a second visit for on campus interviews, other than Mck which flew people out. It was very touch and go, but I understand that spending a lot of time on campus for a class of <100 is not a strong use of their time. We had 7 of us at one of the non-sponsoring boutique events last week, definitely a tough spot to be in for a recruiter.

I love the small class size aspect when it comes to my peers, class room discussions, and leadership opportunities in clubs/on campus, but it comes at the cost of the on campus recruiting that the big schools have.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 14:11
souvik101990 wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for the initiative. I have 2 questions-
1.Is it true the consulting firms (MBB) have a weightage on GMAT scores and undergrad GPAs?
2.Does work location(eg. international locations like London, Singapore etc.) for internships/FT get discussed during the interview rounds leading to the offer or is that something that cant be negotiated ?

Thanks
BSchool Thread Master
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 18:34
projectcontrols wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for the initiative. I have 2 questions-
1.Is it true the consulting firms (MBB) have a weightage on GMAT scores and undergrad GPAs?
2.Does work location(eg. international locations like London, Singapore etc.) for internships/FT get discussed during the interview rounds leading to the offer or is that something that cant be negotiated ?

Thanks

1. I had to include gmat and grad/undergrad gpas on all of my apps, and some even asked for my sat scores. If you are at a top school and have grade non-disclosure, nix that, but all of your scores are weighted to some extent.
2. Depends on the firm. Some will be recruiting for individual offices, some will be recruiting for everywhere. This should be pretty easy to find out in info sessions, and you can generally rank your preferred locations on the application
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Darden '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 04:27
souvik101990 wrote:

Hey whats the difference between a sponsored and non-sponsored event?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Business School Consulting/Tech Recruiting - ASK ME ANYTHING   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2019, 04:27

Business School Consulting/Tech Recruiting - ASK ME ANYTHING

new topic post reply Update application status