Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619260 [5]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619260 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
By allowing the students to arrive at and leave the school at any time [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gloomybison wrote:
A. of disciplining the students that will encourage them to be responsible and self-motivated and reduce the burden on the teachers who strive to concentrate on teaching rather than wasting
Parallelism error; teachers who strive to [concentrate on teaching rather than wasting]. "rather than" is our parallelism trigger and we have a two incorrectly parallel elements; infinitive (concentrate) and a gerund (wasting)

B. of disciplining the students that will be driven by responsibility and self-motivation and to reduce the burden on the teachers who strive to concentrate on teaching rather than to waste
First of all meaning is a little bit off; "a new way... that will be driven by responsibility and self motivation"? I think we can do better than that
Although parallelism may seem ok at first glance, it is not ok from a logical stand point;
Management intends to introduce....and to reduce... Management doesn't want to do two separate thing; what it really wants is to implement a new way through which students will gain responsibility/self-motivation and teachers will focus on teaching rather than wasting time on controlling the class

C. to discipline the students, while it will encourage them to be responsible and self-motivated and will reduce the burden on the teachers who strive to concentrate on teaching rather than waste
Illogical Meaning; "introduce a new way to discipline the students, while it will encourage them..." this basically tells that management wants to introduce a new way while this very new way encourages students. "While" implies a simultaneity so how is it possible for a "new way" that doesn't exist yet to affect the students?

D. of disciplining the students that will encourage them to be responsible and self-motivated and reduce the burden on the teachers who strive to concentrate on teaching rather than waste
Correct There is nested parallelism here; 1) that will [encourage...and reduce...] 2) strive to [concentrate...rather than waste...]

E. to discipline the students that will be driven by responsibility and self-motivation, while they will reduce the burden on the teachers who strive to concentrate on teaching rather than wasting
a new way that will be driven? neither does it sound extremely illogical nor extremely logical. Also same "while" error but this time it is worse, while students reduce burden? it is the new way that will reduce burden not students for sure

Excellent, logical thinking, but put a bit more thought - Is the parrallelism intended between "strive to concentrate" and "strive to waste"? Does someone strive to waste?
:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Re: By allowing the students to arrive at and leave the school at any time [#permalink]
Kudos
sayantanc2k
Quote:
Is the parallelism intended between "strive to concentrate" and "strive to waste"? Does someone strive to waste?

I was between teachers who [strive to concentrate on teaching] rather than [waste...] and teachers who strive to [concentrate on teaching] rather than [waste...]. So my guess, since you mentioned it, is former the intended parallelism?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: By allowing the students to arrive at and leave the school at any time [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gloomybison wrote:
sayantanc2k
Quote:
Is the parallelism intended between "strive to concentrate" and "strive to waste"? Does someone strive to waste?

I was between teachers who [strive to concentrate on teaching] rather than [waste...] and teachers who strive to [concentrate on teaching] rather than [waste...]. So my guess, since you mentioned it, is former the intended parallelism?

Let's wait till 7th March, when the OA and OE will be published. I shall PM you the answer to your above query.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
I went with answer choice A

I saw 2 parallelism markers

Marker 1 - The new way will encourage (students…etc) and reduce (burden on.. etc)

Marker 2 - Teachers who strive to concentrate on X rather than Y (teaching students rather than wasting time disciplining students)

Last but not least - the management introduces a “new way of achieving this outcome” or “new way to achieve this outcome”

It will be “a new way of achieving this outcome”

Answer Choice B technically has better parallelism structure but I don’t like the way it modifies “the students”

Instead of saying the new way “will encourage them to be more responsible and self-motivated”. Instead, B changes the meaning to “will be driven by responsibility and self-motivation”

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
By allowing the students to arrive at and leave the school at any time [#permalink]
Tricky question, especially the parallelism.

Although initially I selected D because I thought "Strive rather than waste" was correct parallelism.
But I think right answer Would be E.

as I think -
Quote:
to discipline the students that will be driven by responsibility and self-motivation
; the underlined part correctly modifies students.

"Students that will encourage them" students will encourage themselves? arrr!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts