Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: By providing such services as mortgages, home improvement loans, [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
baaniNitin wrote:
and financial Services -----last one in the list ------> eliminate A,B
by providing..............and by staying............ --------> Parallel
IMO E

What is problem with D? Consider a simpler example:

By eating healthy and sleeping plenty, I improved my health.

Is the preposition by required before the second gerund as well?

To answer this question, let us recollect the Once in twice out rule:

The parallel structure here is X and Y: If we consider the preposition by inside the parallel structure, we must use by two times. In such case by should be used both in X and in Y.

However we could also consider that the preposition by is outside the parallel structure. In such case we would use by only once. It would cover both X and Y.

This ambiguity often occurs with AND structure because we cannot determine where the parallelism starts, whether the preposition is inside or outside. However, for two-part structures such as NOT ONLY.... BUT ALSO, it is easy to determine whether the preposition is outside or inside and such ambiguity does not occur.

I get your point. Since, there Is ambiguity here. How do we pick the correct answer here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Schools: WBS CEIBS
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V32
Send PM
Re: By providing such services as mortgages, home improvement loans, [#permalink]
Need expert inputs.

Which one is correct?
"By doing A,B, and C, and eating Y,..." OR "By doing A,B, and C, and by eating Y,..."

I chose D because of the comma, which is not present in E. Please advise if this was a correct move.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
I would have preferred the option E :

... and financial advice and by staying....

If there had been a comma before "and by staying" :

... and financial advice, and by staying....

Experts could you help in it. Whether comma would not helped break from the previous list :

.. mortgages, home improvement loans, automobile loans, and financial advice

Otherwise, "and financial advice and by staying" looks in aberration.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: ISB '23
Send PM
If and is used as a conjuction to join two independent clause "," before and is a must. Since, the second part is not an independent clause ", and" is incorrect hence option "D" is incorrect.

You only left with option E which is structurally correct.

Pls share your opinion. This is how I see this particular question.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 389
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
sakshamchhabra wrote:
The parallel structure here is X and Y: If we consider the preposition by inside the parallel structure, we must use by two times. In such case by should be used both in X and in Y.

However we could also consider that the preposition by is outside the parallel structure. In such case we would use by only once. It would cover both X and Y

to quote an example

by eating healthy and sleeping well, I maintain my health.

please help
The correct option gives us the following sentence:

By providing such services as (mortgages, home improvement loans, automobile loans, and financial advice) and by staying within the metropolitan areas, Acme Bank has become one of the most profitable savings banks in the nation.

You're right in saying that the second by is not necessary, but it helps show that we are looking at the second item of the main list. Otherwise, the reader could read the sentence like this:
By providing such services as X and Y... (where X is a list of 4 items)

You'll face this problem in any long sentence, or in any sentence in which there are elements that could confuse the reader. You should err on the side of caution and prefer any option that clarifies what the parallel elements are.

AjiteshArun

If we use "by" again, is this not another interpretation -
By providing such services as X and By Y, Acme Bank....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ag28 wrote:
AjiteshArun

If we use "by" again, is this not another interpretation -
By providing such services as X and By Y, Acme Bank....

Hi ag28,

You could read it like that, but the most likely interpretation, given that X is a noun, is that by staying is parallel to the first element with a by before it (by providing).
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
shouldn't option(E) has a comma before "and by staying" since the statement forms an independent clause?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Srsingh96 wrote:
shouldn't option(E) has a comma before "and by staying" since the statement forms an independent clause?

Hi Srsingh96, comma is generally used when "and" is used to join two independent clauses.

However, following is not an independent clause:

By providing such services as mortgages, home improvement loans, automobile loans, financial advice

In fact, this is not even a clause; it is just a prepositional phrase.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Srsingh96 wrote:

Hello Srsingh96,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "by staying within the metropolitan areas" is not part of an independent clause; it is the second half of the modifying phrase that acts upon the clause "Acme Bank has become one of the most profitable savings banks in the nation"; "By providing..." and "by staying..." are two parallel actions, linked by "and", that are undertaken by "Acme Bank".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I struck between D and E. whether GMAT tests for punctuation?
Because (D) "and financial advice, and staying" comma separates sentence but in (E) "and financial advice and by staying" after "financial advice" immediately comes "and".
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
FazliddinKD wrote:
I struck between D and E. whether GMAT tests for punctuation?
Because (D) "and financial advice, and staying" comma separates sentence but in (E) "and financial advice and by staying" after "financial advice" immediately comes "and".

Hello FazliddinKD,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the use of the comma is incorrect in Option D; due to the inclusion of the comma, Option D incorrectly uses the "comma + conjunction ("and" in this case)" construction to join the dependent clauses "By providing such services as mortgages, home improvement loans, automobile loans, financial advice" and "staying within the metropolitan areas"; remember, the "comma + conjunction" construction is used to join an independent clause to a dependent clause; here, as the two dependent clauses are acting upon the same noun - "Acme Bank" - they must be joined with bare conjunction.

To understand the concept of punctuation on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~9 minutes):

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
By providing such services as mortgages, home improvement loans, [#permalink]
SC# 1
Quote:
By providing such services as mortgages, home improvement loans, automobile loans, financial advice and staying within the metropolitan areas, Acme Bank has become one of the most profitable savings banks in the nation.

(A) financial advice and staying
(B) financial advice and by staying
(C) and financial advice, staying
(D) and financial advice, and staying
(E) and financial advice and by staying

^^ The correct choice is

The following questions is also from official one.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/by-devising- ... l#p1699983

SC# 2
Quote:
By devising an instrument made from a rod, wire, and lead balls, and employing uncommonly precise measurements, in 1797-1798 Henry Cavendish's apparatus enabled him to arrive at an astonishingly accurate figure for the weight of the earth.

(A) By devising an instrument made from a rod, wire, and lead balls, and employing uncommonly precise measurements, in 1797-1798 Henry Cavendish's apparatus enabled him

(B) In 1797-1798, by devising an instrument made from a rod, wire, and lead balls, and employing uncommonly precise measurements, Henry Cavendish's apparatus enabled him

(C) Henry Cavendish devised an instrument made from a rod, wire, and lead balls, and employed uncommonly precise measurements, and in 1797-1798 was able

(D) Having devised an instrument from a rod, wire, and lead balls, and employment of uncommonly precise measurements, Henry Cavendish in 1797-1798 was able

(E) By devising an instrument made from a rod, wire, and lead balls, and employing uncommonly precise measurements, Henry Cavendish was able in 1797-1798

^^ The correct choice is

Hello,
According to SC# 2, why did we not pick choice D in SC# 1? Can you clarify experts, please? This questions just make me crazy!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Why is by providing and by staying necessary. For e.g
People never have and never will vote in favor of the referendum. ( In this sentence we would read as people never have have and people never will, there is no need for us to write people twice) Thus why is it necessary to write "by" twice ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM