It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2008, 10:05
clobo wrote:
Good luck Darden 2010. Alright, now to spice things up a little. I received an e-mail from Ross that contained a message from the Director of Admissions. Apparently, the class of 2010 is shaping up to be the strongest ever with an average GMAT of 709 and average work experience of 5 years. Some of the highlights of the class of 2010 include:

A graduate of TOPGUN (Navy Fighter Weapons School) who’s also a volunteer
coach for the Special Olympics
An equity analyst in New York who was a former Fulbright Fellow appointed by Dr.
Jane Goodall to revitalize an eco-humanitarian program in Bolivia
A program director for the Peace Corps’ first environmental program in Peru
A hedge fund sales associate who was tapped by the President of Australia’s
Women’s Ice Hockey Program to assist in developing a national ice hockey program
A former Air Force civil engineer turned financial consultant with improv training at
Chicago’s famed Second City
An amateur actor who performed in a play for an audience of 5,000 at Madison
Garden Theater on New Year’s Eve

Some pretty accomplished people. I am glad I got in. :-D

ah crap. I should have applied R1. I have no chance now. :cry:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 10:33
danymo, I don't think every student that gets accepted has the stats above. These admits have received special mention for a reason - their profiles are unique and well, special! :-D

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 10:41
clobo wrote:
danymo, I don't think every student that gets accepted has the stats above. These admits have received special mention for a reason - their profiles are unique and well, special! :-D

İ agree with clobo. I am sure that each of us has a special fact which makes us unique.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 762 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 11:22
Remember just because those people were admitted doesnt mean they are going to matriculate.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 12:41
riverripper wrote:
Remember just because those people were admitted doesnt mean they are going to matriculate.

But I suppose they wouldnt advertise them if they are not going to be in class. Or would they?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 12:48
How do they know who is showing up yet. I highly doubt everyone of those people have submitted deposits. I have always heard that R1 has the worst yield at every school.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 1

Schools: Ross '10

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 13:07
Relax guys. The intent of the email was to internally socialize the effort that has gone into building a diverse class. There is no reason to read anything else into it. It's not like Ross has published this info in a public forum for promotional purposes. And admitted folks will base their matriculation decision based on personal judgement and preferences.

Besides, I have seen plenty of equally interesting profiles, other than the ones in the email, in the admitted students forum. Of the top of my head, I remember a fighter pilot, a director from the american musuem of national history etc.

riverripper wrote:
How do they know who is showing up yet. I highly doubt everyone of those people have submitted deposits. I have always heard that R1 has the worst yield at every school.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 13:10
I am sure that they have tons of very interesting folks that show...schools love those people. Now the real question is who from GMATclub will be called out as one of those interesting folks.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Schools: University of Michigan - Ross 2010

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 13:17
I agree with Ripper. Matriculation of those listed is certainly under question even if they have already paid (I believe the opposite, too early yet) the deposit. Think about it; wouldn't a H/S/W admit be worth more than some $ burnt? I believe this is just a routine communication message with advertising as its main goal.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 13:30
Agree with manylander. Could be a marketing strategy so admitted students return some love

SVP
SVP

Schools: Ross '10

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 13:37
really? You think any admitted student is going to be naive enough to attend Ross simply because of these 8 or 9 people in a class of 425. People who get admitted to good schools will hopefully have more sense than what you imply.
Travel09 wrote:
Agree with manylander. Could be a marketing strategy so admitted students return some love

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 13:43
I think its mostly one of those just to give an interesting spin on who they admitted. They arent going to specify we admitted a banking analyst from bear sterns or a consultant for bain. You obviously write about the interesting and unique folks. It just gives a better spin on who is going to be going there.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2008, 14:17
riverripper wrote:
I think its mostly one of those just to give an interesting spin on who they admitted. They arent going to specify we admitted a banking analyst from bear sterns or a consultant for bain. You obviously write about the interesting and unique folks. It just gives a better spin on who is going to be going there.

I agree. This is just a marketing stuff. By the way, do you expect more interviews at the next week? Accepted.com dates last interview on 01/25 and admission411.com shows only %31 percent for R2 interview invitations.

Manager
Manager

Schools: University of Michigan - Ross 2010

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2008, 09:01
To clarify my "marketing effort" approach:

It was an attempt to look diverse and interesting to the MBA community, the rival programs, the public and the ranking institutions. I don't beleive it will/should sway and applicant one way or another. Personally I couldn't have cared less if the next guy in the class was a pilot or the other one was a stand-up comic. What matters for me is the academics,reputation and career services of the program and the credibility/mental capacity of my classmates. Eccentricities (pilot, performer etc) are like spice for food; you need just a little. The real candidates that I look forward to work with are ones with capable experience, analytical and business mind, and challenging thought processes. Like the ones who are spending time on this board... :-D :evil: :twisted:

Happy Monday guys!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2008, 09:14
Hell all,

I don't know if you have noticed but we have 40 days before decision releasae date :) yay from tomorrow the countdown turns int 30-something days left :)

:cool

GO BLUE !!!

Manager
Manager

Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2008, 09:38
ncprasad wrote:
really? You think any admitted student is going to be naive enough to attend Ross simply because of these 8 or 9 people in a class of 425. People who get admitted to good schools will hopefully have more sense than what you imply.
Travel09 wrote:

During the application process candidates try to impress schools. Pointing out different facets of their career, extra curricular activities and personality to get their attention and stand out. Whether it works or not you do try right? Some ad-coms think you are good and some do not but you do your best to show that you are a better candidate than the rest. Why cannot the school do the same with admitted students.Fact that you have applied to a school shows that it meets all your requirements. UM is selling their diversity. Again whether it works or not depends on you.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2008, 13:48
Still waiting for an invitation. Any word fella's ?

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2008, 13:56
Quote:
Some of the highlights of the class of 2010 include:

I think that it would not be correct/ethical to say this if these guys were not matriculating. Anyway, it is not so important. I also agree with manylander in terms of importance of faculty/placement/intellectual quality rather than some extreme "hobbies" of fellows.
I would like to put some interesting fact from admissions411.com:
In R2 only 15 from 50 registered are interviewed yet. %30.
The last interview for R1 recorded on 12/22 with R1 decision being on 1/15. It means 24 days before. So there are plenty of time for R2 applicants to get their interviews.
From R1 40 admits only 7 are matriculating. Thats is interesting.

Just had some free time :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2008, 14:02
Any updates for any Indian applicants ??? I understand Ross probably looks at desi candidates towards the end. but isn't it kind of drawing to a close now ?

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2008, 14:49
Ok, so we have 40 days left, and the last interview is predicted to be 24 days before the deadline. Which means there are 16 more days to interview, which is about 2 weeks. And, 2 weeks = 2 rounds of interview invites :)
And I believe at least one of these 2 rounds in reserved for indian applicants ;)

GO BLUE !!!

Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants...   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2008, 14:49

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  60   61   62   63   64  ...  104    Next  [ 2061 posts ] 

Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap