It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 17:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants...

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2008, 17:59
I saw the Kroll topic and thought I would post here. My CMU admit package had a background check form, but I didn't see one in the Ross admit package. Am I missing something?
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Michigan - Ross 2010

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2008, 18:17
If you chose Ross you are going close to D-town. Crime is no abound in that area :maniac , hence Ross does not require any checks. :-D :) :lol:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2008, 18:21
I also didnt find any such form in my admit binder.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2008, 18:39
Meh! I guess we'll find out. If they do checks, I wanted to get it out of the way before one of my references decides to quit/retire. He's getting pretty close to making a decision.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2008, 18:41
manylander wrote:
If you chose Ross you are going close to D-town. Crime is no abound in that area :maniac , hence Ross does not require any checks. :-D :) :lol:

Watchu talkin about foo!
:snipersmile: :rocket
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Michigan - Ross 2010

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2008, 19:22
Quote:
Watchu talkin about foo!

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

:-D :) :(
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 03:33
R2 interview statistics from admissions411.com
Applicants 44 100%
Interviewed 15 34%
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 06:24
manylander wrote:
Quote:
Watchu talkin about foo!

Should I bring my shotgun with me? 8-)
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 06:27
Good luck getting it through customs ;)

helg wrote:
manylander wrote:
Quote:
Watchu talkin about foo!

Should I bring my shotgun with me? 8-)
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 06:31
dosa_don wrote:
Good luck getting it through customs ;)

Yeah... right... stupid idea... coming to the U.S. with a "made in the USA" gun. Better buy a new one over there :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
Just as an FYI for all R1 admits and might also help R2 applicants:

Met an alumni last night here in Cincinnati. Apparently adcomm reached out to him to meet me and answer any questions that I might have. Just some notes/points of interest:

1. VERY passionate about the school (obviously).
2. Spoke about a bunch of classes that he felt helped even after graduating- Valuations and a CKPrahalds course were a couple that I remember
3. He suggests staying close to campus but not on it (too many UG's- but clobo might not mind it as he is going to party ;))
4. Raved about MAP- his was in Israel
5. Apparently the alumni network is pretty impressive
6. He said the career services is awesome. They start reaching out to you evene before classes start.
7. For golfers- the UMich golf course is amazing! $25 to play a round. BTW- The course is designed by the same dude who designed the Augusta National Golf Course.
8. DO NOT schedule a team meeting on a Football Saturday. You might be exiled from the school. Everyone....EVERYONE tailgates and goes to the game. The MBA students all get tickets together and hence have their own section in the stadium. AND dont forget to tailgate near the "BUS"
9. Broadly the alum's opinion was that internationals should not have a problem finding a job consulting and banking and even GM but it is difficult in marketing.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 07:03
dosa_don wrote:

Met an alumni last night here in Cincinnati. Apparently adcomm reached out to him to meet me and answer any questions that I might have. Just some notes/points of interest:

2. Spoke about a bunch of classes that he felt helped even after graduating- Valuations and a CKPrahalds course were a couple that I remember
3. He suggests staying close to campus but not on it (too many UG's- but clobo might not mind it as he is going to party ;))
6. He said the career services is awesome. They start reaching out to you evene before classes start.
7. For golfers- the UMich golf course is amazing! $25 to play a round. BTW- The course is designed by the same dude who designed the Augusta National Golf Course.
8. DO NOT schedule a team meeting on a Football Saturday. You might be exiled from the school. Everyone....EVERYONE tailgates and goes to the game. The MBA students all get tickets together and hence have their own section in the stadium. AND dont forget to tailgate near the "BUS"
9. Broadly the alum's opinion was that internationals should not have a problem finding a job consulting and banking and even GM but it is difficult in marketing.

Why? I supposed that Ross is very strong in marketing and marketing placement is not very competitive as IB and MC.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 07:12
Sharedfolders- internationals are usually not favored by CPG marketing firms and this is not specific to Ross alone. This alum that I spoke to works for P & G, and apparently P & G does not hire internationals(who require a work visa) for their US operations. He also added that the general thought process (though he does agree with) is that marketing is more about understanding the "consumer" culture and internationals will not be able to do so in the US as they would have spent limited time here. Tech marketing is completely different.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 07:25
dosa_don wrote:

Ok, who is going to teach me how to golf? :-D
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 07:32
bherronp- I can volunteer :P though am not very good myself.

bherronp wrote:
dosa_don wrote:

Ok, who is going to teach me how to golf? :-D
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 07:40
I suck. I swing a golf club like a baseball bat. When I go to the driving range I make contact about half the time, and that is usually just clipping the top of the ball or hitting the ground and bouncing up into the ball. About 1 out of 25 times (at best) I make solid contact. Though since I am tall and fairly strong when I do make contact I can end up driving close to 300 yards.

I am, however, a mini golf champion. My wife, who played golf throughout highschool, has never defeated me at mini golf. If only that was how deals got done.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 07:44
haha...that was funny...the cool thing about Mich golf course is apparently they have some really impressive indoor facilities. So even in the winter, you could go out and hit some balls :)

bherronp wrote:
I suck. I swing a golf club like a baseball bat. When I go to the driving range I make contact about half the time, and that is usually just clipping the top of the ball or hitting the ground and bouncing up into the ball. About 1 out of 25 times (at best) I make solid contact. Though since I am tall and fairly strong when I do make contact I can end up driving close to 300 yards.

I am, however, a mini golf champion. My wife, who played golf throughout highschool, has never defeated me at mini golf. If only that was how deals got done.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 08:07
Thank you dosa!! KUDOS!

dosa_don wrote:

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 08:10
Shared Folders wrote:

Why? I supposed that Ross is very strong in marketing and marketing placement is not very competitive as IB and MC.

Well, we are talking about international candidates here. Being one myself, and coming from a marketing background I have obviously researched my job chances in the US post-MBA (although I am not going for marketing). They are not good in any industry and any field beyond IB and MC. (I am not saying impossible)

So this would apply to marketing as well, also coming from Ross (even from Kellogg - they are upfront about it, too).

EDIT: I just noticed that dosa basically already answered this...sorry...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 08:46
dosa_don wrote:
Sharedfolders- internationals are usually not favored by CPG marketing firms and this is not specific to Ross alone. This alum that I spoke to works for P & G, and apparently P & G does not hire internationals(who require a work visa) for their US operations. He also added that the general thought process (though he does agree with) is that marketing is more about understanding the "consumer" culture and internationals will not be able to do so in the US as they would have spent limited time here. Tech marketing is completely different.

OK. It is clear now. But what then about MC? I think it also about the understanding of corporate culture of US companies.
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants...   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2008, 08:46

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  58   59   60   61   62  ...  104    Next  [ 2061 posts ] 

Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants...

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap