Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 21:38 It is currently 20 May 2024, 21:38
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
rgupta83 wrote:
Why remove the bottom half. You can get an online copy where the schools are on the second page and just delete the second page. Looks less suspicious that way :)

Yeah, I also contemplated this. However, that report shows how many times you took the GMAT and what your past scores were...which is something else I didn't necessarily want to bring up.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Send PM
ALL RIGHT CBS - IS TODAY GOING TO BE MY DAY?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Ok dudes let me clarify here... the digital copy (the two page you get in email) is what I submitted.. I simply deleted second sheet that had the school listing and submitted the first.. I only took gmat once and, while I finished verbal with 18 minutes left and could of bumped score if I took again, I was ok with a 710.

Anyway, goodluck on some calls today guys & gals.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2132 [2]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
Hey all,
Don't you think that ethics and ethical behaviour is one of the main points to which schools pay a close attention??!
Don't you think that schools do not know that you apply to multiple schools at once?

My point is that if you remove the sheet indicating to which other schools you applied - it means that you are hiding something. It means that you provided incomplete GMAT report.
It means that you even if asked to disclose full information you don't follow the rule
Anyway the CBS's admition decision is binding, and if admitted you will know about it far before other decisions. So why to behave contrary to what is expected?!

I have attached the full report with all schools I have sent my scores to. I think that submitting a score to a number of schools does not mean that you will apply there. It is just shows your intention to apply. Not more.
But hiding a part of information shows an intention to behave differently from what is expected.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Pkit, I disagree. What relevance does it have at all? When you interview for a job do you tell them you're going down the street to interview with their competitor an hour after you leave? Of course not. There is nothing unethical with not disclosing something that's not relevant to my application. I think Cornell asks what other schools you are applying to in their application, Columbia does not. With that being said, there is no difference... and simply put, Columbia STILL gets my official report from GMAC with what they need.. I'm just providing a screenshot of my "unofficial" performance.

Also, consider this... schools are big on fit and many have different cultures. If you had a school like MIT, Tuck, Columbia, Harvard, and hm, CMU let's say... and you send that to Tuck... well they can see by the list that you're not focused on a specific niche offering or type of class. Said different, if Tuck cared and saw HBS and you mention in an essay you want small class sizes that fosters community... doesn't where you sent your reports argue against that? Appears you're just out for any top program. The ethics here is a bad argument and one that I would disagree with you on completely.... and honestly, this is coming from someone who is very involved in my undergrad ethical debate organization (was during and post studies) and considers myself to uphold highest standards. There is nothing wrong with not showing someone something they didn't ask for... especially when you consider the alternative.

Oh and on a side note, apparently CBS doesn't care either based on my admit :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
losttraveler excluded it and was accepted. Hence it does not matter. Case closed! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Asset Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
losttraveler wrote:
Pkit, I disagree. What relevance does it have at all? When you interview for a job do you tell them you're going down the street to interview with their competitor an hour after you leave? Of course not. There is nothing unethical with not disclosing something that's not relevant to my application. I think Cornell asks what other schools you are applying to in their application, Columbia does not. With that being said, there is no difference... and simply put, Columbia STILL gets my official report from GMAC with what they need.. I'm just providing a screenshot of my "unofficial" performance.

Siding with Losttraveler on this one. I also followed my practical instinct, scanned my unofficial GMAT score report but excluded the second page, figuring Columbia was simply interested in the scores I got and not the other schools I was sending my scores to. Like Losttraveler I approached it in terms of a job application.

We're probably blowing this issue out of proportion though :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yea we definitely are :P

This is the typical MBA analytical "over analyze **** until it's blue" approach.... do the schools care? I'd say 95% they could care less... but am I that risk adverse that I removed it? Absolutely :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Wake Forest
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
Send PM
Any ED last-minuter received interview invitation today / yesterday?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
megatop wrote:

not me, still under review
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
americanInAsia wrote:
megatop wrote:

not me, still under review

Me neither, still under review since 10/5 but will be getting my interview invite today (yes, still trying the positive thinking BS)....
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2132 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Well, tend to agree.

It is debatable.

Losttravel is right saying that "nothing unethical with not disclosing something that's not relevant to my application".
Agree that it is not expected to disclosed what is not asked.

Now I am worried about the fact that I disclosed the Adcoms the list of schools, to which I considered to apply.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Eh, they're human beings, they understand people are looking at different schools etc. I wouldn't waste any more time thinking of this stuff.

Now, about that call, CBS.... come on!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I agree with Losttraveler on this one. He did not include it and got in. That should be enough.

Anyways I have a question. I am trying to schedule my interview for CBS. I reached out to an alum and he was very responsive initially. I am a consultant on an out of town project. I told him I was out of town and could only meet on Fridays as he had indicated M-F when he responded. He said yes. But when I am trying to lock down the time and location, he has stopped responding. I do not have his phone number. Should I just start reaching out to other alumni or just wait until he responds? I am in a situation, where I was suppose to be on site for 3 straight weeks. I worked it out to fly back for this interview specifically and needed to fly back that night. If he does not respond, I will most likely have to delay my interview for at least 2 weeks. Any thoughts on how I should proceed would be appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
I agree with Losttraveler on this one. He did not include it and got in. That should be enough.

Anyways I have a question. I am trying to schedule my interview for CBS. I reached out to an alum and he was very responsive initially. I am a consultant on an out of town project. I told him I was out of town and could only meet on Fridays as he had indicated M-F when he responded. He said yes. But when I am trying to lock down the time and location, he has stopped responding. I do not have his phone number. Should I just start reaching out to other alumni or just wait until he responds? I am in a situation, where I was suppose to be on site for 3 straight weeks. I worked it out to fly back for this interview specifically and needed to fly back that night. If he does not respond, I will most likely have to delay my interview for at least 2 weeks. Any thoughts on how I should proceed would be appreciated.

How long has it been since he responded? and have you completely communicated your situation to him?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mbaer2012 wrote:

How long has it been since he responded? and have you completely communicated your situation to him?

He responded last Friday saying we can do this Friday. I sent a follow-up on Tuesday and then again this morning. I also need to put the date and time in the system to confirm with CBS and I believe they will send him my resume and possible other interview material.

I have told him I am out of town M-Th, but did not mention I was flying back just for this interview. The initial date and times he had proposed were fine, I am just concerned since I have not heard from him in about a week to confirm our interview that is tomorrow.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
He responded last Friday saying we can do this Friday. I sent a follow-up on Tuesday and then again this morning. I also need to put the date and time in the system to confirm with CBS and I believe they will send him my resume and possible other interview material.

I have told him I am out of town M-Th, but did not mention I was flying back just for this interview. The initial date and times he had proposed were fine, I am just concerned since I have not heard from him in about a week to confirm our interview that is tomorrow.

ooph, that sucks all around. Have you tried looking for a number on linkedIn? If he doesnt contact you by this afternoon I would send him another email explicitly stating that you will be flying in just for this interview and you want him to confirm the interview to make sure its still on. No point in contacting another alumn now, you would still have the scheduled interview for tomorrow and any alumni you contact will still probably want a couple of days before they interview you.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  67   68   69   70   71  ...  171   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts