Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Product Management (Technology), Strategy
Schools:Wharton, Haas, Kellogg, Ross, Tepper
 Q48  V35 GMAT 2: 750  Q50  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Software Engineer
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
 Q49  V41
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant
Send PM
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
CyberC1 wrote:
My recommender told me that after logging into the site, he was given 2 hours to complete the recommendation. I wish I had known to tell him that prior to him starting the recommendation... Anyone else run into that?

This information would be helpful for many. Any takers?

I may sound stupid, but the recommender gets only 2 hours, can she logon once to know the promts that she has to answer, prepare answers offline and then log back to enter the answers?

By the way, is there a time limit of 2 hours or so for other schools too?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
CyberC1 wrote:
My recommender told me that after logging into the site, he was given 2 hours to complete the recommendation. I wish I had known to tell him that prior to him starting the recommendation... Anyone else run into that?

That's the first I've heard of it. Both of my recommenders completed their recommendations over the course of a couple weeks.

Are you sure it wasn't 2 hours before the session times out? That's a very different scenario.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
CyberC1 wrote:

That's the first I've heard of it. Both of my recommenders completed their recommendations over the course of a couple weeks.

Are you sure it wasn't 2 hours before the session times out? That's a very different scenario.

Seesion time out makes more sense than time limit of 2 hours! Lets see what CyberC1 says about the actual issue faced by recommender.
Current Student
Send PM
ballubalraj wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:
CyberC1 wrote:

Seesion time out makes more sense than time limit of 2 hours! Lets see what CyberC1 says about the actual issue faced by recommender.

Admittedly my recommender is NOT the most tech-savvy person in the world. Think index finger typing and needing to re-learn everything after a version upgrade to any software...

What he said to me was that "there was a timer that only gave him two hours, and it would submit after two hours." He conjectured that it was probably only the time spent on the application, aka he signed off after 30 minutes, so it should still leave 1.5 hours in the system for him to complete it. It could very well be system timeout and not "time to complete recommendation." It seems silly to me that they give our recommenders a time limit so I just wanted to check on here to see if anyone else had a recommender tell them about this issue. I don't have access to the recommender part of the site (clearly), but I was just really curious as to whether this is a UC-Berkeley thing, or whether my recommender's lack of tech-savvyness was playing a role...
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V41
Send PM
CyberC1 wrote:
Admittedly my recommender is NOT the most tech-savvy person in the world. Think index finger typing and needing to re-learn everything after a version upgrade to any software...

What he said to me was that "there was a timer that only gave him two hours, and it would submit after two hours." He conjectured that it was probably only the time spent on the application, aka he signed off after 30 minutes, so it should still leave 1.5 hours in the system for him to complete it. It could very well be system timeout and not "time to complete recommendation." It seems silly to me that they give our recommenders a time limit so I just wanted to check on here to see if anyone else had a recommender tell them about this issue. I don't have access to the recommender part of the site (clearly), but I was just really curious as to whether this is a UC-Berkeley thing, or whether my recommender's lack of tech-savvyness was playing a role...

Ok...we can consider this not to be an issue (I was scared too when I heard about the time limit from you) unless someone else has some explation to offer.
Current Student
Send PM
ballubalraj wrote:
CyberC1 wrote:

Ok...we can consider this not to be an issue (I was scared too when I heard about the time limit from you) unless someone else has some explation to offer.

I was kinda like :shock: when I heard it from him. My skepticism led me here to confirm...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
I want to submit application to R2. Is it a rolling review process here or can I take my time to write essays and then submit closer to the dealdine?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Haas (Admitted /w $$$), Anderson (Admitted), LBS (Waitlist), MIT (ding), Stanford (ding), HBS (ding)
 Q48  V40
Send PM
Session Time out for sure. One of my rec's was a tech guy, Masters in Compsci. I just double checked with him.

Sounds like your recommender attempted to type out everything in that two hours. For all of mine including Haas my rec probably spent less than 10 minutes total logged in - 1 minute to log in to download and copy and paste the questions, logoff, work offline for several weeks, login, copy paste answers back in. And in both instances the timer reset to 2 hours upon login.

To help with your R2 apps and this rec, I have noticed that most schools (all of mine at least) post their rec questions online somewhere on their official website, so recs can get a head start even before the official online forms were ready for entry.

eg.
Haas:

https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/LORFall2011.pdf
Current Student
Send PM
TDA wrote:
Session Time out for sure. One of my rec's was a tech guy, Masters in Compsci. I just double checked with him.

Sounds like your recommender attempted to type out everything in that two hours. For all of mine including Haas my rec probably spent less than 10 minutes total logged in - 1 minute to log in to download and copy and paste the questions, logoff, work offline for several weeks, login, copy paste answers back in. And in both instances the timer reset to 2 hours upon login.

To help with your R2 apps and this rec, I have noticed that most schools (all of mine at least) post their rec questions online somewhere on their official website, so recs can get a head start even before the official online forms were ready for entry.

eg.
Haas:

https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/LORFall2011.pdf

Yeah my rec logged out and was working on the q's offline. I'll let him know it restarts so he's not all stressed out. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
There is some information I would like to share with you guys.
I have called the admission office today. Here is what I got.
The Adcom pick up applications for review randomly. Therefore, if your status still shows as "received", not "completed" (unfortunately I am one of them), don't worry it will be under review in the next couple of weeks.

The interview invitations for R1 applicants start to be sent out from today! And the Adcom will continue sending out invitatioins till Mid-January.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Haas2010 wrote:
There is some information I would like to share with you guys.
I have called the admission office today. Here is what I got.
The Adcom pick up applications for review randomly. Therefore, if your status still shows as "received", not "completed" (unfortunately I am one of them), don't worry it will be under review in the next couple of weeks.

The interview invitations for R1 applicants start to be sent out from today! And the Adcom will continue sending out invitatioins till Mid-January.

Thanks for sharing!
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V34
GPA: 3.0
WE 1: 5
WE 2: 6
Send PM
hi all,

i wish to apply E/W MBA At Haas with the following:
GMAT- 700 (V-31/71%, Q-50/95%)
GPA- 3
work EX-7 YRS

Could anyone suggest in which round I should Apply for the best chances to be admitted

Thanks All..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is it okay to write about a hobby that I have in depth involvement in for the "Most passionate about" question or does it have to align with my career goals etc? I have read varying view points on this one and am wondering how to approach the qsn.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
snottgoblin wrote:
Is it okay to write about a hobby that I have in depth involvement in for the "Most passionate about" question or does it have to align with my career goals etc? I have read varying view points on this one and am wondering how to approach the qsn.

I was about to write about my hobby too..However, after extensive research and after I attended the Stanford Info session (they have a similar question), I realized that they want something more worthy(your community, religion, family, ...in no particular order etc)...So the best answer would be tying one of these. However, in the end, there are no wrong answers and if you are confident that your passion is best reflected in one of your hobbies, then go ahead and use that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
launchpad123 wrote:
snottgoblin wrote:

I was about to write about my hobby too..However, after extensive research and after I attended the Stanford Info session (they have a similar question), I realized that they want something more worthy(your community, religion, family, ...in no particular order etc)...So the best answer would be tying one of these. However, in the end, there are no wrong answers and if you are confident that your passion is best reflected in one of your hobbies, then go ahead and use that.

Thanks launchpad. That is useful to know.

Cheers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Send PM
snottgoblin wrote:

My personal take, and the advice I've heard most often, is to write about whatever you're actually most passionate about. Berkeley has 6 essays, so you have plenty of space to talk about your career goals, and if you try to squeeze that into all the essays I think you run the risk of coming off as one-dimensional. And if you're trying to write a passion essay about something you're not truly passionate about, it's probably going to come off as a little hollow. If you can tell a good story about your hobby and why you're passionate about it, I think that's the best route.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
has anyone heard from Haas yet? When I called them last, they said that they follow a rolling style of evaluating applications and that they would be sending interview invites throughout the wait period.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts