Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:rd1: Haas, Ross ; rd2: ISB
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Duke (R1- WL), Kellogg (R2-WL)
 Q51  V40
GPA: 3.75
WE 1: High-tech (4.5 years)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Has anyone started filling out the application? I'm confused by the "Responsibilities/Key Accomplishments" section under Employment History. I'd rather not regurgitate material from my resume, but I fail to understand what new/different information I could add here. Anybody have any thoughts?

Hmm...just realized I'm not in the R1 list. Avernusaur, can you help? Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Cleantech
Schools:Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Send PM
wiredo wrote:
Has anyone started filling out the application? I'm confused by the "Responsibilities/Key Accomplishments" section under Employment History. I'd rather not regurgitate material from my resume, but I fail to understand what new/different information I could add here. Anybody have any thoughts?

I was wondering about this, also. You hate to just copy and paste your resume, but you also don't want to overload them with information. Not sure what the best approach is.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V44
Send PM
mc wrote:
wiredo wrote:

I was wondering about this, also. You hate to just copy and paste your resume, but you also don't want to overload them with information. Not sure what the best approach is.

Kryzak's answered this in last year's thread! I just discovered this post: calling-all-berkeley-haas-fall-2010-applicants-78476-140.html#p640888

I now think I'm going to elaborate on a few key events (present as a line on my resume) from the last two years rather than go into detail on every item on my resume - wouldn't want to bore the reader! :-)
Director
Director
Send PM
Updated roll call to include wiredo and kt2011. Good luck to both of you :)

In other news, I'm in Berkeley right now. The campus is nice and relaxing, but I'm sorely disappointed in the bar scene. Even with the advice of current Haas students, I only found one sports bar playing the Bears vs. Packers game tonight. I shared the bar with 2 packers fans, 1 bears fan, and 15 people who couldn't care less.

To be fair, it's a Monday night... but still.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
Updated roll call to include wiredo and kt2011. Good luck to both of you :)

In other news, I'm in Berkeley right now. The campus is nice and relaxing, but I'm sorely disappointed in the bar scene. Even with the advice of current Haas students, I only found one sports bar playing the Bears vs. Packers game tonight. I shared the bar with 2 packers fans, 1 bears fan, and 15 people who couldn't care less.

To be fair, it's a Monday night... but still.

I'm surprised the Packers find any love in Berkeley at all! (I'm a Packers-turned-Patriots fan :-D)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
thanks gogetter and Aver!

LOL about the bars. I was just there recruiting for my company today. Good to be back at Haas. :)
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V40
Send PM
Do any of you have recommendations for good hotels around the Berkeley campus? I am visiting Haas on Thursday..Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
kt2011 wrote:
Do any of you have recommendations for good hotels around the Berkeley campus? I am visiting Haas on Thursday..Thanks.

I personally dont know. However, the campus is convenient to reach by public transportation (Bart trains?). Once you get down at downtown berkeley, you can take the campus shuttle bus that'll drop you right outside the Haas building. Staying anywhere on the train station lines would be convenient too. I stayed at the airport and comfortably took the train+shuttle to campus (takes lot of time, which I had on my hands :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
Kudos
gogetter08 wrote:
kt2011 wrote:

I personally dont know. However, the campus is convenient to reach by public transportation (Bart trains?). Once you get down at downtown berkeley, you can take the campus shuttle bus that'll drop you right outside the Haas building. Staying anywhere on the train station lines would be convenient too. I stayed at the airport and comfortably took the train+shuttle to campus (takes lot of time, which I had on my hands :)

I did the same thing. I stayed in SF (Westin Market Street) and walked to the Bart station. It's pretty convenient, since it drops you off a block from where you'd catch the campus shuttle (I think it's a dollar for non-students). Or if you're a glutton for punishment, you could hike uphill to the other side of campus.

I guess disregard all of this if you are set on spending a lot of time on campus. The area immediately outside UC Berkeley just seemed like any other large college town.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V40
Send PM
Thanks RD and gogetter08.

Do you know hows the walk from the closest parking garage (2450 Durant Ave) to Haas? Google says its half a mile, and since I am planning to rent a car, I think I'll just walk from the garage to the school (unless there is a bus connecting the 2). Need to fly back thursday afternoon (real tight schedule) so having a car will help getting back to the Aport on time. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
If it is only 0.5 mile, I dont think it is a big deal to walk since you can leave your luggage in your car. Parking can be challenging, so plan for that. Check the link below.
https://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/maps.html
Best thing is to call up Haas if you need specific info.
Director
Director
Send PM
kt2011 wrote:

Do you know hows the walk from the closest parking garage (2450 Durant Ave) to Haas? Google says its half a mile, and since I am planning to rent a car, I think I'll just walk from the garage to the school (unless there is a bus connecting the 2). Need to fly back thursday afternoon (real tight schedule) so having a car will help getting back to the Aport on time. Thanks.

The walk from the parking garage is definitely doable (I carried my laptop bag around for miles in Berkeley and Boston :cry: ). I would honestly recommend that you skip the rental car though. BART from SFO to Downtown Berkeley is super easy and costs about $18 round-trip. I think total travel time is about 1hr each way, which isn't great, but you don't have the unknown delay of traffic.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has anyone bothered to upload a scanned copy of the transcripts? I tried but I get an error message that it needs to be a .pdf file. I am indeed trying to upload a .pdf file < 300kB :)
I'll just mail a hard copy. They also need a copy of the degree. Argh, I need to take the degree and shrink & copy it!

Aside, one of my recommender was impressed by Haas' detail orientedness. He said that there were more Qs and are also more probing than those of other schools. I see the same pattern in the essays. This is always a good sign that you are applying to a high quality school.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V44
Send PM
gogetter08 wrote:
Has anyone bothered to upload a scanned copy of the transcripts? I tried but I get an error message that it needs to be a .pdf file. I am indeed trying to upload a .pdf file < 300kB :)
I'll just mail a hard copy. They also need a copy of the degree. Argh, I need to take the degree and shrink & copy it!

I uploaded mine this week: one was 2.5MB, the other 300KB. Both uploads worked fine. I'd suggest calling them up and reporting the issue if it doesn't work again. It's possible you may not be the only one experiencing the problem.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
kt2011 wrote:

The walk from the parking garage is definitely doable (I carried my laptop bag around for miles in Berkeley and Boston :cry: ). I would honestly recommend that you skip the rental car though. BART from SFO to Downtown Berkeley is super easy and costs about $18 round-trip. I think total travel time is about 1hr each way, which isn't great, but you don't have the unknown delay of traffic.

Just don't do what my wife and I did. Get on the wrong train back from UC Berkeley and headed into Oakland instead of SF, lol. At the exact moment we realized we were headed the wrong direction, Police K9 patrol passed through our car. At the next station, we got off and saw 4 more officers walking around. I guess it is the marijuana capital of the U.S. :o
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Technology, Digital Media
 Q49  V42
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Count me in for R2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Kellogg 2013
 Q44  V50
Send PM
gogetter08 wrote:
I'll just mail a hard copy.

I had the same problem trying to upload a pdf (both for transcript and for resume). I thought it was because I was on a Mac, and I was planning to try again on a PC. Any chance you're using a Mac too?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts