Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Columbia 2013 (accepted)
 Q48  V41
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
Jterm2011 wrote:
BuJaasim wrote:
Scratch that, I just got dinged!

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear the news. I think there will be more updates this week too.

Sorry BuJaasim. Atleast you know what your fate is though. The wait is honestly the worst thing. Also looks like they finally are focusing on J term candidates now. About time

The wait is definitely horrible, but I've found if you start focusing on R2 apps you're able to relax a bit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
financepersoninnyc wrote:
Have been reading this forum but have not actively posted. Thought I would report I was just accepted into J-Term yesterday. The timeline of my application is below:

7/12: Application Submitted, Printed, and Under Review
8/3: Interview Invite
8/18: Interview Held
8/23: Interview Complete
8/24: Called to Interview With Admissions
9/10: Interview With Admissions and Accepted (later in the day)

A couple of things about the application process...

First, it was very difficult for me to schedule an interview in August. I went through all 9 contacts and everyone was on vacation. Columbia had to reset my account to let me email more people. Once the interview took place though it went well.

Second, a call to interview with admissions seems to be a good thing. It just took a while for me to schedule a time to go in since I was out the country when they called and I did not get back till this week. Since I am based in NYC they said they sometimes like to meet with local applicants and if they had the resources they would actually prefer that admissions interviewed everyone. Also they were interested in knowing more about my boss, possibly as a check on the reference.

Now for the obligatory profile information:
-26 year old white male from the US but with a significant international background
-4 years at a top-3 bulge bracket investment bank
-760 GMAT and decent undergrad record at a top state school
-Solid extracurriculars in undergrad and while working

Finally, in my interview with admissions I got some additional sense for what CBS is looking for and also have a few pointers about what to highlight for the "Why MBA" question. Send me a message if you want me to give you the pointers.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
I would like to get some interview tips! I submitted my app. for ED at the end of September, haven't heard anything yet, other than my application is "under review" status.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
I was deferred yesterday. extremley discouraged :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
Send PM
By 'deferred', do you mean that they pushed your application into the RD round? I didn't know they could do that!

On the bright side, a deferral is better than an outright rejection!

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
bluecollarhero wrote:
I was deferred yesterday. extremley discouraged :(

Damn, sorry dude. At least it's better than a ding :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Columbia 2013 (accepted)
 Q48  V41
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Send PM
Bluecollarhero-

Do you mind answering when you submitted your application? Deferred, that IS strange. DEFINITELY better then rejection though!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
I've heard of them deferring to later "rounds" before. I think I also heard that the ED is still binding if they let you in at a later time. Does anyone else have insight into that?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Moss wrote:
I've heard of them deferring to later "rounds" before. I think I also heard that the ED is still binding if they let you in at a later time. Does anyone else have insight into that?

I don't think being binding once deferred into RD would make sense. The deferred applicant is now taking the same type of risk as any other RD applicant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
Send PM
if you're deferred in ED, that means that you're still ED and you're decision will be rendered before RD decisions are released. It's prob space-related...ie, if we accept him with his background, how many spots will we have left to admit people of a similar background? So...they defer some candidates until they know for a fact that they've got room.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Seems like another quiet day...anybody have any updates? This wait is killing me

SaMoCU wrote:
if you're deferred in ED, that means that you're still ED and you're decision will be rendered before RD decisions are released. It's prob space-related...ie, if we accept him with his background, how many spots will we have left to admit people of a similar background? So...they defer some candidates until they know for a fact that they've got room.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:HBS
Send PM
According to the admissions website, the admissions office was closed today for a staff meeting. I'm guessing they held a town hall meeting to disucss the applicants. Have a feeling that there will be some movement second half of the week. Good luck, everyone!

boston34 wrote:
Seems like another quiet day...anybody have any updates? This wait is killing me

SaMoCU wrote:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Man, I was deferred yesterday too...certainly not the best feeling after all that gruelsome waiting, but not the worst either.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
justdoit123 wrote:
Man, I was deferred yesterday too...certainly not the best feeling after all that gruelsome waiting, but not the worst either.

Keep your hopes up guys! How were you notified about being deferred? Email, phone?

This sudden activity is now making me nervous. I've yet to hear anything from CBS and it's been about two weeks so far for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
WE 1: IB & PE
Send PM
gkumar wrote:
justdoit123 wrote:

Keep your hopes up guys! How were you notified about being deferred? Email, phone?

This sudden activity is now making me nervous. I've yet to hear anything from CBS and it's been about two weeks so far for me.

I was deferred about a month ago and am still in limbo. I didn't receive an email notification - I had to sign into the online application system to find out that I had been deferred.

Interesting to see the recent movement of folks being deferred. On the flip side, I remember at least one applicant so far in ED being waitlisted. Anybody know what the rationale is behind a deferral vs. waitlist?

- philly
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy Consulting
Schools:HEC Paris, , Tepper
Send PM
phillymba2012 wrote:
gkumar wrote:
justdoit123 wrote:

I was deferred about a month ago and am still in limbo. I didn't receive an email notification - I had to sign into the online application system to find out that I had been deferred.

Interesting to see the recent movement of folks being deferred. On the flip side, I remember at least one applicant so far in ED being waitlisted. Anybody know what the rationale is behind a deferral vs. waitlist?

- philly

Hi Philly,

Sorry to learn about your deferral.

I rushed into the online system to check my status! It's still the same "your app is being printed out etc.", I am guessing that this is not too bad - yet?

By the ways, if someone is deferred and learns that hi/her app is still binding, I would ask the adcom, if your application is better prioritized than these which came in the regular round.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
I didn't submit until the final day of ED -- can I be pretty much assured that they aren't getting around to my app for a month or so?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FinancepersoninNYC,

Can you pm me for Why MBA tips?
Couldn't find your post..
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  76   77   78   79   80  ...  198