Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Duke!! (CBS-in, Texas-in, Yale-WL, Haas-R)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare/Pharma mgmt
Schools:CBS class of 2013
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
mbagirl7568 wrote:
Figure out if you'll make more over time from Columbia than NYU in your field. If not, go to NYU. Mounting debt in loans sucks.

A quick look on the internet (don't know how reliable) says they are really similar in terms of starting salaries in marketing. Guess I should switch huh?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare/Pharma mgmt
Schools:CBS class of 2013
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
josiebella wrote:
So guys, I have a dilemma. I have virtually decided to go to Columbia and I even mailed them the deposit. But today I received my admit letter from NYU and they offered me $25K in scholarships for year 1. Now, factor in the fact that NYU's tuition is already cheaper by $10K over the two years, that's $35K in savings, not a small amount.

So, should i take the money and run over to NYU or should I stick with Columbia (even though I know they don't give much money at all) because of the slightly stronger brand name? Any tips from any of you? (I know you may be biased since you're on the CBS thread, but thought I should ask anyway!) I asked on the NYU thread as well....just curious. Thanks guys!

And I know, I am very lucky. (not trying to brag here)

Congrats to you Josie, thats a good problem to have :) My sister-in-law is finishing at Stern this year. I'm going to CBS because NYU doesn't even have a healthcare program, which is my field. Look at your field, look at where both schools have placed grads, definitely talk to alumni from both. Good luck with your decision!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Nonprofit
WE 2: Government
Send PM
Thanks for the reply, uprightcitizen.
I worked at a law firm during my summers in law school and will have had over 3 years of experience post-JD upon "matriculation". I also went direct from college to law school and will be 27 upon matriculation.

And thanks for the reply MrsVigga,
given that the nonprofit world doesn't respond to financial incentives, my essays were a struggle in terms of quantifying my accomplishments. That being said, my "why MBA" is a rather sober assessment of what I've observed in my own experiences in the nonprofit world and a candid statement that without an MBA I would not be able to carry out my career vision. Obviously that's rather pro-forma and I can't imagine such essays would be "banging".

I respect the MBA admissions process. Law school admissions is based solely on an index (GPA/LSAT) at most schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: University of Toronto (Rotman) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.57
Send PM
Kudos
zacdaniels wrote:
I applied 1/15 to Columbia and am wondering if I should look lower. I'm a non-traditional applicant: AB in Political Theory from #20 liberal arts college (GPA: 3.6), law degree from #20 law school (with a low GPA: 2.9). Have only one semester of ugrad quant work: Calc I (A). 730 on the GMAT.
Want to lead a nonprofit (currently working in the nonprofit/gov't world).
Is it likely that my Law School GPA is going to sink me at top schools? Given the low grad school gpa, which is obviously more recent than my college grades, should I forget about schools in the top 10? I've noticed that invites have gone out for R2 interviews and I haven't heard anything which contributes to my wondering if I should shoot some R3 apps out.

Thanks and congrats to the people who've heard positive news.

I wouldn't worry about your GPA in law school whatsoever. Your GMAT and undergrad GPA testify that you are smart enough, and the fact that you got a law degree testify that you are willing to study.

The first thing adcom will wonder, and your main concern should be, is why do you want a business school degree after law school? If you have a solid, thorough answer to this then you are well positioned. Applying on 1/15 does reduce your chances for admission statistically, but if you are a convincing candidate it will not be a problem.

So don't get hung up on your law school gpa and focus on your real question marks.

I know this is coming from a guy with a 2.6 gpa, but I'm being objective. I think your more significant gpa is 3.6. Or you could take some average and say your overal gpa is 3.3
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I got dinged today without an interview. Went under review on 1/4. Pretty devastated since this is the first school I heard back from. Applied to 4 other schools round 2 but am doubtful whether i have a shot at those since i couldn't even land an interview at columbia.

Best of luck to everyone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: International Business, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Arbitrageur wrote:
Applied to 4 other schools round 2 but am doubtful whether i have a shot at those since i couldn't even land an interview at columbia.

Go easy on yourself. Columbia is hardly a safety school - and I'm sure you'll be a good candidate at another top notch program.

My understanding is that if you lined up all the CBS applicants, it's not necessarily the absolute top 35% (ish) that get interviews. It's the top 35% for the CBS program - based on the unique profile of the program.

In other words, just because you didn't get an interview at CBS, doesn't mean you're only going to be competitive at schools with a 35%+ acceptance rate.

Also - I really don't think the schools are all looking for the same thing. I'm sure it's possible that an admit at Stanford might not get an interview at HBS, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: International Business, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
mbagirl7568 wrote:
Figure out if you'll make more over time from Columbia than NYU in your field. If not, go to NYU. Mounting debt in loans sucks.

You make that calculation sound so easy!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Does anyone know when the "Admit Weekend" will be in April?

(Totally presumptuous as I have not been admitted but just want to make sure my schedule is clear!)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
saritalr wrote:
Arbitrageur wrote:
Applied to 4 other schools round 2 but am doubtful whether i have a shot at those since i couldn't even land an interview at columbia.

Go easy on yourself. Columbia is hardly a safety school - and I'm sure you'll be a good candidate at another top notch program.

My understanding is that if you lined up all the CBS applicants, it's not necessarily the absolute top 35% (ish) that get interviews. It's the top 35% for the CBS program - based on the unique profile of the program.

In other words, just because you didn't get an interview at CBS, doesn't mean you're only going to be competitive at schools with a 35%+ acceptance rate.

Also - I really don't think the schools are all looking for the same thing. I'm sure it's possible that an admit at Stanford might not get an interview at HBS, etc.

Responding to your last sentence there... my R1 applications were a testament to the fact that different schools look for different things. I was invited to interview at HBS but not Wharton or Yale (easier programs to receive an invite by every metric).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
WE 1: 5 years consulting
Send PM
closetsnob wrote:

(Totally presumptuous as I have not been admitted but just want to make sure my schedule is clear!)

I want to know the same exact thing. To post it on my calendar, ya know, just in case!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:CBS, Kellogg, Ross (w/$$), Wharton , HBS
Send PM
progressiongirl wrote:
closetsnob wrote:

I want to know the same exact thing. To post it on my calendar, ya know, just in case!

April 8.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
josiebella wrote:
So guys, I have a dilemma. I have virtually decided to go to Columbia and I even mailed them the deposit. But today I received my admit letter from NYU and they offered me $25K in scholarships for year 1. Now, factor in the fact that NYU's tuition is already cheaper by $10K over the two years, that's $35K in savings, not a small amount.

So, should i take the money and run over to NYU or should I stick with Columbia (even though I know they don't give much money at all) because of the slightly stronger brand name? Any tips from any of you? (I know you may be biased since you're on the CBS thread, but thought I should ask anyway!) I asked on the NYU thread as well....just curious. Thanks guys!

And I know, I am very lucky. (not trying to brag here)

I would ask CBS ask about it... they have already offered you admission and are not going to rescind it. Say that you received a financially compelling offer from NYU (which is clearly a peer school across many dimensions) but that you would still want to attend CBS if that difference could be reduced (eliminated?).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Have people started hearing from CBS for round2 ? I applied in round2. My app went to "under review" ten days back. Waiting to hear from them!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Columbia 2013 (accepted)
 Q48  V41
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Send PM
I don't know, I think within NYC the Columbia brand is held in slightly higher regard than Stern. Outside of NYC, I would say Columbia's holds far more weight.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
what is the normal time between going under review and a decision on an interview? I just went under review on Tuesday.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbua Business School - RD (admitted w $ + enrolled), Harvard Business School - R2 (ding), Chicago Booth - R2 (admitted /w $$), NYU Stern - R2 (admitted w/$$$)
Send PM
I heard back on my interview six days after I went under review. Not sure what the norm is...I'm sure it varies. But it can definitely come at any time.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
6 days?! Wow! When did you app go under review and what are your stats? They must be pretty amazing.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  158   159   160   161   162  ...  198