Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:09 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Investment Management
 Q50  V40
GPA: Dismal
WE 1: Information Technology (9 yrs)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.5
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
DCMike wrote:
Part of me thinks it might be advantageous to not submit a completed app until after the optional interview? Any merit to this?

Thats my plan. I also wish I could go on the tour/class visit before the interview, but since I've only got 1 day on campus, I scheduled the interview first so I wouldn't be tired or exhausted at the end of the day...or spend the whole day worrying or being nervous.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mba2013 wrote:
DCMike wrote:
Part of me thinks it might be advantageous to not submit a completed app until after the optional interview? Any merit to this?

Thats my plan. I also wish I could go on the tour/class visit before the interview, but since I've only got 1 day on campus, I scheduled the interview first so I wouldn't be tired or exhausted at the end of the day...or spend the whole day worrying or being nervous.

I set up my interview right after the tour of campus that includes lunch... that way I can always relax a bit during the lunch portion of the tour. I also managed to schedule my interview the friday before Alabama plays at Duke...

What are other peoples opinions on application status during optional interviews?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance (S&T)
Schools:Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
 Q41  V31
GPA: 3.26
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Send PM
Hello everyone, international applicant here, I wish i could go to Durham for interview but given my current schedule at work is not posible for me to go from South America to Durham. Wish you all the best to all of you going and please share your experience visiting the school and interviewing.

Regards
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Check in 10:00AM
Class visit 10:30AM - 11:45 AM
Tour with lunch 12:00PM - 1:30 PM
Interview 2:00PM - 3:00 PM
Meet & Greet with Admissions Officer 3:00PM - 3:30 PM

I definitely want to take the tour first, it may just give me some extra ideas on how to answer some questions with more of a ' Fuqua spin ' - the danger is of course that I will get some hot sauce or something on my suit....

Can anyone recommend a unique place to stay? I kind of like to stay in bed&breakfasts, or smaller, non-chain hotels if I can.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ThomasD wrote:

I definitely want to take the tour first, it may just give me some extra ideas on how to answer some questions with more of a ' Fuqua spin ' - the danger is of course that I will get some hot sauce or something on my suit....

Can anyone recommend a unique place to stay? I kind of like to stay in bed&breakfasts, or smaller, non-chain hotels if I can.

Not sure of your budget, but the Washington Duke is a gorgeous hotel right across the street from Fuquay. A night should run you about 140... totally worth it in my opinion

https://www.washingtondukeinn.com/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM

I may skip the tour as I've done that before. I may meet students/friends during that time.

Investment Banking with Health-sector focus (HSM): any thoughts? I see a lot of people who are applying to Columbia, Stern and Duke.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 730  Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
ThomasD wrote:

Would be interesting to know what unique things u will be able to include in you fuqua spin after the tour. I was there last year the place is good but it was tough to come up with any insightful info about fuqua.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
DCMike wrote:
ThomasD wrote:

Not sure of your budget, but the Washington Duke is a gorgeous hotel right across the street from Fuquay. A night should run you about 140... totally worth it in my opinion

https://www.washingtondukeinn.com/

very nice place. Was there for a wedding a couple months ago, and I will be staying there again for my interview in October. I know its more expensive, but I tend to overstress for interviews so having that familiarity will help reduce one of the variables the night before. ie, I know the room is clean, the bed is good so i'll get a good nights sleep, breakfast/light coffee in the lobby, easy parking and access to campus etc.. nothing worse than having an early morning interview and having a nightmare experience at a hotel the night before.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Silvers wrote:
ThomasD wrote:

Would be interesting to know what unique things u will be able to include in you fuqua spin after the tour. I was there last year the place is good but it was tough to come up with any insightful info about fuqua.

Probably not much from the tour, but you could definitely pick something up during lunch.
Director
Director
Send PM
I would not worry too much about places to stay. You can get to Fuqua pretty easily from everywhere in the triangle/Durham/Chapel Hill area. I basically picked the cheapest option each time I was visiting and it turned out fine. If you're nervous, just drive there the night before and make sure you know where you're going. There is a visitor lot right outside of the school, so parking won't be an issue. Also, unless you are staying at the Washington Duke, I would make sure to rent a car.

I don't know of any very unique places to stay.
Current Student
Send PM
That hotel does look neat. Thanks all! Back to the essays....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Ok, gonna sign up for interview....apparently a 2nd year student is going to be the interviewer. I see many people here are doing tours/class visits prior to the interview - so i guess you guys are flying/driving the day prior? Also, is the dress code going to be formal with suit or better to go business casual since interviewer is a student?
Current Student
Send PM
Yeah, I am flying in the day before and unless our currents student here indicate that business casual is ok, I think I am going for the formal dress code. It is still an interview...but good point asking shaselai
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Just because a student is interviewing does not make it any less formal. Unless dress code is specified, I would wear what you would normally wear to an interview (suit).

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
ThomasD wrote:

Another option to consider is the King's Daughters Inn. It's a B&B across the street from Duke's East Campus (Fuqua is on West Campus). I've heard really great things about it. Like the Washington Duke, though, it depends on your budget.

Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
any really cheap place within walking distance? or i pretty much need rental car? like 50 a night?
Director
Director
Send PM
Last year, Fuqua specifically stated that business casual was okay. I think some people thought that was somewhat of a trick (it was not) and still wore a suit. Some people feel more comfortable in suits, others do not. If the guidelines are the same this year, then do what you feel is more comfortable. You won't look out of place in one, you won't look out of place not in one.

As far as having a rental car, I think it's more a convenience factor. It will likely you cost you the same (could even be cheaper) as a taxi.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  133   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts