Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:39 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Michmax3 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the area around Duke is like? I really like the school and its programs, but the thought of living in a somewhat rural environment is putting me off a bit. Unfortunately I will not be able to visit before application deadlines, but am I wrong in thinking it is in the middle of nowhere? Or is there some decent culture/city life around?

Durham isn't rural, but it isn't urban either. There isn't much night life outside of a few clubs/bars. There is a decent amount of cultural event in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. You can check out https://www.durham-nc.com/things/ to get a taste. It has very much a college town feel with lots of trees and nature.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Honestly, if you come from a big city where you don't need a car to get around, this place will take some time for adjustment. But of everyone I have met, whether from a big city or small place, they all loved the school. It's so much fun and totally kicks ass, I think everyone should visit/int before you make a decision.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q41  V42
Send PM
Thanks guys...I was trying to get an idea from people that actually live around there, I did look at the cvb site, but they always make their city look great so hard to tell
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
I went to the information session in DC yesterday.

The presenter made it sound like applying during the 3rd round more or less precludes you from the acceptance --- apparently, last 2 years, Duke accepted around 5 people from the 3rd round.

So if you are thinking about Duke, better do it during 1st or 2nd.

I felt pretty good about the information session and I think I'm changing my decision to apply during the 2nd round to the 1st round.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q47  V44
WE 1: 4 years management strategy in defense sector
Send PM
Hey. Current first year student here. Thought I'd comment on a couple of the questions in the thread.

As for dress, if they say business casual again this year, you are completely fine in that. I interviewed in a suit but it was about a 50/50 split with more of the finance folks in suits as they felt more. Student interviewers will be dressed that way. It is a really laid back process so you don't need to be formal, but of course you need to act professionally.

As for renting a car, parking isn't necessarily the easiest thing on campus for visitors and consider that to be an additional logistical hurdle to confront during your visit. We have a good sized visitor lot but we also get a lot of visitors so it may be full. If you do have a car you can also pay to park at the Bryan center (student union) a few blocks from Fuqua. Other options besides a taxi are a super shuttle or executive shuttle which are cheaper but take a bit longer to get here.

There is a duke app for iPhone that may help you explore campus a bit easier with a searchable campus map, and other info for your visit. Also Washington Duke is pretty much the only walkable hotel to Fuqua.

Being in town on Friday and attending Fuqua Friday is agreat chance to meet tons of students and experience the atmosphere. But is by no means a must.

By all means fire questions at me on the board or via private message. Happy to help anyway I can.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Send PM
MBAFingersCrossed wrote:
As for renting a car, parking isn't necessarily the easiest thing on campus for visitors and consider that to be an additional logistical hurdle to confront during your visit. We have a good sized visitor lot but we also get a lot of visitors so it may be full. If you do have a car you can also pay to park at the Bryan center (student union) a few blocks from Fuqua. Other options besides a taxi are a super shuttle or executive shuttle which are cheaper but take a bit longer to get here.
If you are interviewing on the weekend, you can park at the visitor lot about 20 yards away from the school for free. That entrance is where you'll be greeted and wait for the interview. The visitor lot won't be full, because students can park anywhere with a parking pass on the weekend and tend to park in the back by Fox Center. Personally, I'd rent a car, so that you can drive around can check out the town and/or campus. You can easily find parking around downtown Durham. I'd suggest going to check out Brightleaf Square for food and possibly live outdoor music.
VP
VP
Send PM
Roll Call Updated

Somehow the Roll Call must have gotten overwritten, there wasn't that many applicants listed, even though billyjeans had updated Roll Call several times.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Regarding parking, Fuqua will give you a parking pass for the visitor lot, you don't have to pay for parking & if you do the whole day visit with the tour, class visit, lunch, and interview, you will be there early enough to easily find parking in the visitor lot, which is right across the street. I parked there for my interview last year & there was plenty of space.
Current Student
Send PM
guys, i found this on the duke site:
https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... ation_fee/

Apparently if you go to their info session or campus visit and schedule online you can apply for only 50$!!!!! This is great for the online interview schedulers!

Is this schedule a bit tight?

Check in
October 9, 2010 8:30AM
Checkin for Interview Interview October 9, 2010 9:00AM - 10:00 AM
Checkin for Tour with lunch Tour with lunch October 9, 2010 11:00AM - 12:00 PM
Checkin for Informational Panel Informational Panel October 9, 2010 12:00PM - 1:00 PM
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Looks about right. My schedule is roughly the same. Interview + lunch + class visit + some paneldiscussion + campus tour. Putting all of that in one day will make things pretty busy. Every event is one after the otter so I'm hoping I'll have time to get from one place to the next and be on time!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q41  V42
Send PM
I've decided to apply for R1, count me in!
Current Student
Send PM
does it matter if i do the tour etc. before interview? I mean either way if i say i visited i prob have to say i "just visited" vs "i am gonna visit". I hope it doesnt matter much...
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
The interview is the first thing on my agenda. I prefer to get that over with so I'm not stressing during the day. I don't think it matters which comes first, personal preference more or less

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PMP
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Am in for EA. Done with the first and last essay. I started Essay3 first because I wanted to have an idea about the matter for Essay2 (both essay 2&3 asks for the contribution to Duke)...

Regards,
Rahul Sareen
GMAT 700/4.5 (50,34)
Male Indian IT (4+ yrs)
Sr. Unix Admin (AT&T Singapore)

https://mbatake2.blogspot.com/

Roll Call Updated
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
put me down ED for now, Ill reply if it changes.
Good luck all!!

Roll Call Updated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Count me in! EA/R1

Duke is right up there on my list of target schools.

What happens to those who apply in EA, get offered a place, pay the deposit and do not join? Does it adversely affect chances at other schools if Duke informs them that an offer has been accepted?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q47  V44
WE 1: 4 years management strategy in defense sector
Send PM
Accepting an EA is binding and considered a promise to attend and your ethical duty to fulfill. If you choose to later decline that acceptance, you will not get your deposit but Duke does not blacklist you from other schools. Consider it more than just gaming the system because there are a limited number of EA slots and you are taking someone else's who maybe depending on it for more than just a fall back(VISA, etc.). If you want to test the waters, apply to a school like Tuck whose EA isn't intended to be binding.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  133   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts