Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:59 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden (R1), Duke (R1), Kellogg 1Y (R1), Berkeley MBA/MPH (R2), Wharton (R2)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Haas, HBS, UNC, Duke, Kellogg, etc
WE 1: Investment Banking Domain, Functionally-Technology
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Non-profits
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Applying to Duke in EA round.
I am interested in Social Entrepreneurship and CASE at Duke looks very promising.
<Fingers crossed>
Any inputs form other guys on the thread....??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
admad10 wrote:
hey all,

I want to know one particulatr thing abt duke...
like other schools... ie booth famous for Finance, Kelloggs- Marketing, etc...

Wht is flagship of Duke?

Duke is really balanced, but a lot of people probably know it as a marketing school. In reality, they place a high number into marketing, a high number into consulting, and a relatively high number into finance. I think in the last numbers were about 30% into marketing, 30% into consulting, a bunch into finance and then all the other stuff.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Haas, HBS, UNC, Duke, Kellogg, etc
WE 1: Investment Banking Domain, Functionally-Technology
Send PM
@highhopes: thanx a ton!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Job Acquirement
Schools:Duke Class of 2012
Send PM
New employment (preliminary) is out if anyone is interested.

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
InCaseYouAsked wrote:
New employment (preliminary) is out if anyone is interested.

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/

Wowzer!! Look at the difference between the full time and the summer hires. I always assumed that companies hire less for summer than they do for full time. But in this case it seems reversed. Or is this a sign that the employment situation is better for the Class of 2011?

Also in the report it mentions students with/without permanent US work authorizations. Is this just a fancy of saying US citizens/PR and international students?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
We just had our Career Management Center session today. The internship % is actually a bit higher now (students procrastinating on reporting), we were told that internship % is over 90%.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hello. I'm wondering if anyone is currently in the Cross Continent MBA Program at Duke who can share your experiences in the program. I'm interested in hearing the pros and cons as I plan to work internationally at some point and this program looks pretty intriguing. Also, is this an EMBA program? It's not listed as such but I've seen it referred as EMBA.

Thanks!
VP
VP
Send PM
I'm not in the CCMBA program. But I've spoken with some CCMBA, so hopefully, I can give some insights and if there are CCMBAs out there, feel free to add and/or correct me.

The difference from an applicant perspective between CCMBA and the Executive MBA programs (Global and Weekend) are:
1) CCMBA has less work experience
2) CCMBA has classes all over the world

If you are internationally minded, CCMBA will give you a global perspective. You travel to many countries and learn about the business practices in the countries you are visiting.

So the downside is that you'll have to set up a block of time to travel, which can be difficult if you are balancing work and study (similar to the WEMBA, since they have to be Durham for classes).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi Guys,
Will those who schedule an open interview at Fuqua be called for the invitation only interview (if selected)? Thanks..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
If you scheduled an open interview, you will not be invited again for the invitation only interviews. You'll just find out the admit/ding results during your application round's decision date.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Has anyone heard or read anything official about the open interview dress code yet. Earlier on, people here were discussing that it was pretty mixed between business formal and casual last year, I am just wondering if someone found out details for this year. I haven't seen anything and am thus assuming business formal
VP
VP
Send PM
ThomasD wrote:
Has anyone heard or read anything official about the open interview dress code yet. Earlier on, people here were discussing that it was pretty mixed between business formal and casual last year, I am just wondering if someone found out details for this year. I haven't seen anything and am thus assuming business formal
The official suggestion is business casual. The students here wear t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops to class, so you'll be fine in business casual. If you don't feel comfortable, you can do business formal and lose the jacket later.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks asimov. That's good to know!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Roll Call Updated
I know there's a lot of interest in consulting out there. Looking for a preliminary internal employment report, it looks like 36 Fuqua students did a consulting internship, 21 of which were at M/B/B.

I'm not sure how true the following is, but speaking with a SY, all of the interns got extended full time offer at the end of the internship.

Also, Fuqua just kicked off a new Center for Consulting Excellence, designed to make Duke more attractive to top consulting firms. The executive director is a HBS grad with 15 years experience at BCG.
https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/news_events/releases/447327/
Current Student
Send PM
I have another question, I just started filling in some online application material and then I am running into this:

Quote:
Health Sector Management Certificate
A certificate within The Duke MBA, the Health Sector Management program links the core business fundamentals offered in the traditional Fuqua MBA program to the salient, business critical issues unique to the healthcare industry. The overlay of a comprehensive curriculum and robust extracurricular offerings provided by HSM onto the core MBA experience creates a rich, holistic and lasting experience. The HSM program better positions Fuqua students for career placement short-term and offers a competitive advantage throughout their careers. Our students bring a diversity of backgrounds, both inside and outside the health sector, and graduate to pursue careers in fields such as service delivery, consulting, finance, pharmaceuticals, medical device and biotechnology. To learn more visit our Web site.
Are you interested in pursuing the Health Sector Management Certificate?
Yes No

I select YES

Course Concentration
Are you interested in any of our course concentrations?
If yes, you may declare up to two:

Your second choice will only populate if your concentration allows two programs to be selected.
For more information regarding specific concentrations, please refer to https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/student_resou ... ntrations/.

Now my question is, should I still select two concentrations or not if I am shooting for the HSM certificate? What is typical here? Do you select 2 concentrations and the certificate, or certificate with 0 or 1 concentration. Any ideas/recommendations? I am certainly interested in some of the concentrations, but I do not know if it feasible/expected/doable etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
ThomasD wrote:
I have another question, I just started filling in some online application material and then I am running into this:

Quote:
Health Sector Management Certificate
A certificate within The Duke MBA, the Health Sector Management program links the core business fundamentals offered in the traditional Fuqua MBA program to the salient, business critical issues unique to the healthcare industry. The overlay of a comprehensive curriculum and robust extracurricular offerings provided by HSM onto the core MBA experience creates a rich, holistic and lasting experience. The HSM program better positions Fuqua students for career placement short-term and offers a competitive advantage throughout their careers. Our students bring a diversity of backgrounds, both inside and outside the health sector, and graduate to pursue careers in fields such as service delivery, consulting, finance, pharmaceuticals, medical device and biotechnology. To learn more visit our Web site.
Are you interested in pursuing the Health Sector Management Certificate?
Yes No

I select YES

Course Concentration
Are you interested in any of our course concentrations?
If yes, you may declare up to two:

Your second choice will only populate if your concentration allows two programs to be selected.
For more information regarding specific concentrations, please refer to https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/student_resou ... ntrations/.

Now my question is, should I still select two concentrations or not if I am shooting for the HSM certificate? What is typical here? Do you select 2 concentrations and the certificate, or certificate with 0 or 1 concentration. Any ideas/recommendations? I am certainly interested in some of the concentrations, but I do not know if it feasible/expected/doable etc.

Duke does not require you to do any concentrations (nor is it expected). Chances are you will probably end up with another concentration simply because of overlap, but you don't have to add one. With regards to HSM, you could feasibly end up with HSM + 2 concentrations, but probably more likely is that you'll have HSM +1 concentration (or none if you pick your classes very randomly).
VP
VP
Send PM
asimov wrote:
I know there's a lot of interest in consulting out there. Looking for a preliminary internal employment report, it looks like 36 Fuqua students did a consulting internship, 21 of which were at M/B/B.
The official report:
FY internship is 22/51 ended up at M/B/B.
SY full time offer is 11/65 ended up at M/B/B.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  133   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts