Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: PE/VC
Schools:Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
 Q44  V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink]
Not sure I'm qualified to weigh on this discussion, since I'm not quite sure how I got into Tuck myself. My numbers are good, but not mindblowing, and I felt like my interview was awful. I am a woman though and I work for a fairly blue-chip PE firm. I'm also a good writer, so even though I thought my Tuck essays were weak relative to my other applications, they were probably good relative to the others in the applicant pool.

I can't remember if Dartmouth asks on its application what other schools to which you're applying, but I think your answer to this questions matters to them. My understanding is that Tuck is SUPER concerned about yield so if you're a strong candidate and you're applying to a lot of great schools, adcom is probably concerned that they'll give you an admit only to be rejected for another top 10 school. After I attended their women's weekend in the fall, I really fell in love with the community so I sent Dawna and Pat (who's in charge of woman's recruiting) a thank you email for hosting us for the weekend and also expressed that Tuck was my top choice. It wasn't long or overdone - only a few sentences - but I let them know they were my number one choice. I also wove into my essays details that showed other experiences in my life were similar to what I wanted from my business school experience. In other words, for undergraduated I attended a small, private liberal arts school where there was a strong emphasis on community; I really enjoyed that, knew that I thrived in that type of environment and thus knew that Tuck, which has a similar feel, would be a good fit.

Only one aspect, of course, and just my speculation - just something I would consider as it shows that a ding doesn't mean you had a weak profile at all - could actually mean you were TOO competitive and they thought they would lose you to H/S/W.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Waitlist for me...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hey Guys,
Congrats to the R1 admits! I hope there's still room in the class for people like me :)

Question for everyone: I just got a note in the mail from Dawna Clarke. It was on a general postcard but contained a kind of personalized note mentioning my interview (applicant initiated). Should I take this as a good sign? I have been kind of worried that I wouldn't hear anything indicating the status of my application until d-day... I want to think of this as positive, but I have no idea. Did others who interviewed on campus prior to applying receive this kind of note? Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Schools:INSEAD'11
Send PM
sneaky wrote:
Hey Guys,
Congrats to the R1 admits! I hope there's still room in the class for people like me :)

Question for everyone: I just got a note in the mail from Dawna Clarke. It was on a general postcard but contained a kind of personalized note mentioning my interview (applicant initiated). Should I take this as a good sign? I have been kind of worried that I wouldn't hear anything indicating the status of my application until d-day... I want to think of this as positive, but I have no idea. Did others who interviewed on campus prior to applying receive this kind of note? Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!

I received one from Dia Draper too. This was after my applicant initiated interview and before submitting the application ( if that helps). I am in the Jan round so am still waiting....

T.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ginetta wrote:
Evergreen10 wrote:
Good advice Ginetta!

Do you have any insight on the question I posed above? Thank you very much!

Posted from my mobile device

I dont know the exact hit rate - but yes I believe it is a very good sign if you get invited to interview and do well. Tuck places a lot of importance about fit which is understandable, its a close-knit place. If you are invited to interview I would imagine you have a pretty good shot.

Thank Ginetta, I was just curious. Once again, congrats on your admit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:CBS 2012
Send PM
Any word from Tuck on Dartmouth budget cuts? [#permalink]
Bloomberg is reporting that Dartmouth will be making budget cuts given that its endowment lost 20% of its value. I doubt this will affect Tuck much (it's mostly undergrad), but an official confirm from Tuck staff would be advisable.

I'm a new member so I can't post the link, but it's pretty easy to find. Some snippets:

"Feb. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Dartmouth College is raising tuition and fees, requiring some students to take loans and eliminating jobs while Yale University will cut construction spending as U.S. universities feel the effects of endowment declines.
Dartmouth’s endowment had an investment loss of 20 percent in the fiscal year ended June 30 and fell a total of 23 percent, to $2.82 billion, when spending and new gifts were also taken into account. Dartmouth, which relied on its fund for 32 percent of its revenue in 2009, is making decisive cuts now so it can avoid future reductions, President Jim Yong Kim said in a conference call.
Thirty-eight of Dartmouth’s 3,400 non-faculty workers will lose their jobs, starting tomorrow, with 'a comparable number' expected in April, Dartmouth said. An additional 33 staff members will have their hours cut to help erase a $100 million deficit during the next two years, according to the e-mail."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Any word from Tuck on Dartmouth budget cuts? [#permalink]
techwonk wrote:
Bloomberg is reporting that Dartmouth will be making budget cuts given that its endowment lost 20% of its value. I doubt this will affect Tuck much (it's mostly undergrad), but an official confirm from Tuck staff would be advisable.

I'm a new member so I can't post the link, but it's pretty easy to find. Some snippets:

"Feb. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Dartmouth College is raising tuition and fees, requiring some students to take loans and eliminating jobs while Yale University will cut construction spending as U.S. universities feel the effects of endowment declines.
Dartmouth’s endowment had an investment loss of 20 percent in the fiscal year ended June 30 and fell a total of 23 percent, to $2.82 billion, when spending and new gifts were also taken into account. Dartmouth, which relied on its fund for 32 percent of its revenue in 2009, is making decisive cuts now so it can avoid future reductions, President Jim Yong Kim said in a conference call.
Thirty-eight of Dartmouth’s 3,400 non-faculty workers will lose their jobs, starting tomorrow, with 'a comparable number' expected in April, Dartmouth said. An additional 33 staff members will have their hours cut to help erase a $100 million deficit during the next two years, according to the e-mail."

Oh this is sad... wonder if they will take in a few more applicants to offset the cost?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It's really quiet here... Any one else get an interview invite for the Jan round?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
So I'm confused by Tuck's admissions process. What if you cannot do a self-initiated interview? And then you do not get a committee-initiated interview invite. Does that mean you will not be admitted?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Reality wrote:
So I'm confused by Tuck's admissions process. What if you cannot do a self-initiated interview? And then you do not get a committee-initiated interview invite. Does that mean you will not be admitted?

That's what i imagine to be true... If you are not invited to interview and have not interviewed before on your own... then admission is not a possibility.

but a self initiated interview does not mean you will get admitted just because you interviewed.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
agnok wrote:
Reality wrote:

That's what i imagine to be true... If you are not invited to interview and have not interviewed before on your own... then admission is not a possibility.

but a self initiated interview does not mean you will get admitted just because you interviewed.

:(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Is Tuck still sending out committee-initiated interview invites to January-round applicants, or have they all already gone out?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Reality- I am by no means a Tuck admissions expert, but I think that I have read that Tuck offers interview invitations througout the entire round. I don't know if anyone else can chime in on this, but don't give up hope yet, buddy!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Evergreen10 wrote:
Reality- I am by no means a Tuck admissions expert, but I think that I have read that Tuck offers interview invitations througout the entire round. I don't know if anyone else can chime in on this, but don't give up hope yet, buddy!

I agree with Evergreen10. I have read the same.. there are a few weeks till decision day so hold on..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Reality wrote:
Is Tuck still sending out committee-initiated interview invites to January-round applicants, or have they all already gone out?

I'm on the same nerve-racking boat. Can the applicants who have already been invited to a committee-initiated interview let us know when they received their invitation? Pleeeease?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:H/S/W/Tuck/Booth
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 6 years Consulting
Send PM
Yes, I got an email for an off-campus alumni interview on Jan 26th and had the interview on Feb 1st. I have no further idea about how Tuck admissions work. Good luck..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for shedding light on this...at least I know what to expect now!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24  ...  32