Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [7]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Calling all Haas EWMBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2023 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I would not recommend that, I get the feeling that you would be trying to impress them but I think that would backfire.

Also, it would come across as impersonal which is the opposite of the tone you want to strike especially with Berkeley.

I feel like the better way to do it would be to discuss this in paragraph form.

If you're hell-bent on it you would do this as a link to maybe like a Dropbox account but I'm not sure if they will click on your links that's sort of a policy that varies.

gargabhishek408 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Applying for an MBA for the first time. For my essays, I want to attach some Newspaper cuttings. Any advice on whether I should do it or not? Also, how to do it?

Thanks,
Abhishek

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
You have to copy paste your essays into a box that has a strict word count. No space for newspaper cuttings. If you want to add a link, you risk losing words that will be better suited for the essay.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All - there does not seem to be a lot of discussion in this thread but I wanted to see how people were addressing the essays for the EWMBA program. Both are fairly short and relate to the similar topics of background and diversity. I have decided to split my focus, the first essay (background/identity) will address my personal background and the second essay (diversity/inclusion) will focus on my professional career and how it differentiates me. Given the word limits in each, I feel this will help keep the essays clear and concise. Interested in opinions/experiences on this topic.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hi all,

I am currently scheduled for the new video interview (automated process - 2 questions) for EWMBA Haas program.

Any insights on the type of questions asked?

The website does list that one question will be on the desire to attend Haas so I am assuming it will be on the lines of 'Why Haas MBA and why now?".The second question is on leadership so may be questions on applicant's leadership style.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Haas essays are tricky given the low word count. Make sure you answer the question being asked.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
I need to take a certified course in math to show my Quant proficiency. Also, I need something that I can finish in a short duration of time -- upto two weeks. I know there is one available from UC Berkley Extension, but it seems pretty expensive ($800+). Any other suggestions? I do see one from Imperial College London -- Math Essentials.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I would first apply and then use the desire to take the course to show that you will prepare adequately for the course before it begins. But why do you feel the need to take an additional course?

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V34
GRE 1: Q164 V157
GPA: 2.79
Send PM
Anyone have details for the video interview? I'm curious what the leadership question would be.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
They don't say. Thats the point. It is similar to a table topic or if you were to attend in person. You have a few seconds to gather your thoughts and present it in a cohesive manner. I suggest practicing some table topics with an introductin - body - conclusion. 1-2 mins.

The one about leadership could be your style of leadership or what leadership means to you or your leadership experience.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You can take one of many online leadership quizzes available and that will give you some direction on how to answer the second question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Some food for thought. If you speak at your normal pace, in 1 minute you can fit about 100 words. That is 6 lines of Arial in 12 point font. Extrapolating that, for you to speak for 2 minutes, consider writing something about 12-15 lines. From my experience it will sound like forever but you don't want to end up speaking too little or too much. Once you see 15 seconds remaining on the clock, wrap it up with your conclusion no matter what you are saying or how important you think it is.

They have also mentioned that they expect you to not recite from anything written but you can always memorize answers to some basic questions such as Why MBA, Why HAAS, Why now etc.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.85
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
I just finished the video interview and it was much easier and comfortable than I thought it would be. I have experience being in front of camera but one where you can see yourself is a little distracting in my opinion, so practice this part if you are not comfortable looking at yourself while talking.

sasyaharry has pretty good points on how to prepare for the answers, but I would suggest that dont try to memorize word by word, just some talking points. This will make it look more natural than scripted, which is what I think they are looking for.

Also read the question in your mind a few times during the prep time you get to ensure you are answering it directly and not some memorized version of yours which may be slightly tangential.

Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V34
GRE 1: Q164 V157
GPA: 2.79
Send PM
Kunjay wrote:
I just finished the video interview and it was much easier and comfortable than I thought it would be. I have experience being in front of camera but one where you can see yourself is a little distracting in my opinion, so practice this part if you are not comfortable looking at yourself while talking.

sasyaharry has pretty good points on how to prepare for the answers, but I would suggest that dont try to memorize word by word, just some talking points. This will make it look more natural than scripted, which is what I think they are looking for.

Also read the question in your mind a few times during the prep time you get to ensure you are answering it directly and not some memorized version of yours which may be slightly tangential.

Good luck!

Ah so they show you the question before it starts recording? How much prep time do you have to read the question? OR do you mean the prep time is included in the 1-2 minute answer portion?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.85
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Yes they play a video recording of the question along with the question also written at the bottom. The written part stays there for the entire time until you finish your answer.
You get about 1 minute to prepare after they finish their recording of the question and you get upto 2 minutes to record your answer.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [3]
Send PM
Kudos