GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

IIM Bangalore EPGP Profiles

new topic post reply Update application status  
CrackVerbal Co-Founder
B
Schools: IIMA
Re: IIM Bangalore EPGP Profiles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 22:34
arpitshandilya wrote:
Hi,

This is Arpit. I am targeting IIMB, IIM C , IIM I , IIM L only.

My GMAT score is 720 (Planning to take again with a target of 750-760)
10th - 74%
12th - 80%
B.Tech - 65.50%

I have around 9 years of experience overall. I started with Ericsson (Telecommunications) as a telecom Engineer and worked there for 5 years. Worked in Onsite projects in Romania, Greece and Egypt. Managed a team of 3-4 guys onsite and involved in a client facing role in Romania for 3 months.
Then through a competitive exam, I switched to Government sector in a partial administrative and audit role for 1 year but left to prepare for UPSC.

I developed an interest in teaching and mentoring so I started a small initiative to teach and guide aspirants of various exams through Youtube channel which currently has around 20,000 subscribers. My brand has a visible presence on facebook and Quora too. I write on Quora and have around 8000 subscribers. For a brief duration of 6 months , I worked in Ed-tech industry as a marketing manager after leaving Government job.

Currently I am working in CAG of India (Govt. Of India) as an Assistant Audit Officer (Gazetted) and will have around 2 years and 2 months of experience at the time of interview in current role. I lead a team of 3-4 members here on various audits (Financial audits and performance audits of various Government ministries and schemes), plus this job profile has elements of administration, people management, finance , accounting and IT. I am also involved in building an IT application for CAG (This involves some programming, database and product management part)

My purpose of joining an Executive MBA is to get into in Ed-Tech or similar industry and then after getting some exposure at management level, start an educational initiative on my own. (something in area of Secondary and college education ).

Academics :

10th - 74%
12th - 80%
B.Tech - 65.50%

I am targeting IIMB, IIM C , IIM I , IIM L only. Is my profile good enough? Where do I need improvement? Please guide

Hello arpitshandilya,

First of all, let me congratulate you on a great profile and a good GMAT Score. Your chances of getting into any of the schools are very high already. Most of these programs will value your experience. I am not sure why IIM A is not on this list. You should apply to IIM A too.

By March 2020 you will have about 10 years of experience it's important you are very clear about what you want to do next and why an MBA is required.

From Ericsson (Technical Role) + international experience -> Moved to Govt Sector (1 yr) -> (not sure if there is a gap here when you were preparing for UPSC) ->I am assuming your Youtube Stint started here -> 6 months in Edtech -> CAG (is this through UPSC ? )

There are some areas where you would need to connect the dots well. However, what is interesting is that today you are already working is a very exciting role where you are leading the digital transformation part of your department. Here is where it's important for you to justify the need for an MBA.

Overall I think you have a great chance, just make sure you articulate your points on SOPs / Essays very well.

let me know if you need any help.

Regards,
Shree
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 00:30
Top Contributor
arpitshandilya wrote:
Hi,

This is Arpit. I am targeting IIMB, IIM C , IIM I , IIM L only.

10th - 74%
12th - 80%
B.Tech - 65.50%

I have around 9 years of experience overall. I started with Ericsson (Telecommunications) as a telecom Engineer and worked there for 5 years. Worked in Onsite projects in Romania, Greece and Egypt. Managed a team of 3-4 guys onsite and involved in a client facing role in Romania for 3 months.
Then through a competitive exam, I switched to Government sector in a partial administrative and audit role for 1 year but left to prepare for UPSC.

I developed an interest in teaching and mentoring so I started a small initiative to teach and guide aspirants of various exams through Youtube channel which currently has around 20,000 subscribers. My brand has a visible presence on facebook and Quora too. I write on Quora and have around 8000 subscribers. For a brief duration of 6 months , I worked in Ed-tech industry as a marketing manager after leaving Government job.

Currently I am working in CAG of India (Govt. Of India) as an Assistant Audit Officer (Gazetted) and will have around 2 years and 2 months of experience at the time of interview in current role. I lead a team of 3-4 members here on various audits (Financial audits and performance audits of various Government ministries and schemes), plus this job profile has elements of administration, people management, finance , accounting and IT. I am also involved in building an IT application for CAG (This involves some programming, database and product management part)

My purpose of joining an Executive MBA is to get into in Ed-Tech or similar industry and then after getting some exposure at management level, start an educational initiative on my own. (something in area of Secondary and college education ).

Academics :

10th - 74%
12th - 80%
B.Tech - 65.50%

I am targeting IIMB, IIM C , IIM I , IIM L only. Is my profile good enough ? Where do I need improvement ? Please guide

Hi arpitshandilya

- While there has been some career change in your profile, your current role is quite good. A key aspect of your application will be explaining the change, and where your priorities currently lie (with CAG or govt. service, or with EdTech)
- Entrepreneurship is always a possibility post-MBA, but the capacity of the IIMs to get you to EdTech firms will be limited.
- Your current GMAT score at 720 should be good enough. If you feel you can achieve the 750-60 definitely, do so over the next month.
- Our opinion is that you should stick to the top IIMs (A/B/C) and ISB only. Less than that may not be justice to your profile.

Feel free to get in touch directly for a short chat or to post more queries here.

Awesome Work | Honest Advise | Outstanding Results

Reach Out, Lets chat!
Email: info at gyanone dot com | +91 98998 31738 | Skype: gyanone.services
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
IIM Bangalore EPGP Profiles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 15:05
Hi Everyone,

Request you to please evaluate my profile for IIM B EPGP program

10th exam 74.8% (CBSE)
12th exam 70.6% (Assam state board)
B.E in Mechanical engineering 73.66% (Dibrugarh university)

work experience:
33 years male with 10.5 years of experience as a Business Analyst and QA Manager in TCS for clients such as Citi (US), Siemens (Germany) and Zions Bank (US) having domain experience on Banking & Finance and Manufacturing. Have 2 years of onsite experience in a direct client facing role in Germany and US. Sole point of contact between TCS team and client.

professional certifications:
ISTQB

Leadership:
As an onsite manager in Germany and US, managed the entire communication between TCS offshore team and client.
As a QA manager, managed a team of 8 people in TCS Pune and as a QA Lead, managed a team of 20 people in TCS Kolkata

achievements:
TCS Gems for outstanding individual performance
TCS Gems for best team
Winner in TCS Pune rock band competition
Performed as a band at TCS Global Village that showcased global culture with representatives from 36 different countries
Won 3rd Place in Chem-o-Konk competition at IIT Guwahati Techniche among 16 different participants from other IITs and NITs
Winner of Pune edition of IIT Kanpur rock fest called Synchronicity and represented Pune in the rock competition at IIT Kanpur
Lead guitarist in The Scribbler's Story band from Pune and recorded our first original composition
Won many cultural competitions in college programs and commanded my hostel at the annual parade competition

volunteering:
Mentored 3 students from a Pune Engg. college interns in TCS on Data Science practices

hobbies:
Playing guitar and singing, composing original songs, travelling and photography

expected GMAT score:
>680 (not taken yet)

Post MBA goals - To get into operations and strategy wing of any good IT company

Question : Does my profile fit into IIM PGPX, IIM B and IIMC One year executive MBA programs?

Regards
Gauranga
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V32

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2019, 04:10
Hi

I re-took my GMAT today and scored 650 (Q48,V33), IR-5. My first attempt score was 620 (Q47,V29).

I am male, 35, India, with work experience of 13+ years predominantly in PSUs. 11 months in HAL, Sukohi-30MKI assembly, 6-months in NMDC, Iron-ore mines and since 2007 in a steel PSU.

Academics:

Xth - 73.5% Army School
XIIth - 80% Army School
B Tech (Electrical & Electronics Engineering) from MAHATMA GANDHI INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, HYDERABAD - 63.5%

Extra-Ciricular activities

Won many elocution and debate competitions at the school level and even at my workplace.
Have participated twice in National Competition for Young Managers, NCYM held by AIMA. Secured regional 3rd once in Kolkata.
Work as a faculty at the workplace (apart from my regular work) as a part of the Skill Development initiative by National Skill Development Corporation, Govt. Of India.
Passion for biking. I have been a part of a few biking expeditions (self-organized).
I am a life member of the Youth Hostels Association of India, YHAI and participated in National Himalayan Trekking Expedition-SARPASS.
Later, a knee injury in an accident led me to quit my adventurous side.
After recuperating from my injury, started a software, data entry startup (20 seaters) along with my wife. (As I work for a PSU, I cannot hold any office of profit)
But, being in a tier-2 city made it difficult for the start-up to sustain as getting projects was extremely difficult and the market was full of fraudsters. After running the start-up for a year and a half, handed over to one of our influential partners.

Why MBA?

I feel after so many years in PSUs, my career has hit a plateau and further, I see little scope of growth. It is difficult to rise in a PSU, even when equipped with a suitable skill set.
I feel a 1 year MBA would equip me with a definite skill set, apart from honing my existing ones, that would allow for a career shift within the domain of operations and strategy. I am looking forward to a more challenging work environment that would boost my career. I am looking forward for a domain change too but not at the cost of losing perspective of my 13+ years of experience in operations.

Target Schools
ISB, IIM-A, B, C, I
I have not thought of schools outside India, but would welcome suggestions.

Suggestions
Is my score worth it?
Or am I aiming too high?
Should I retake GMAT?...With the Round-1 deadline of IIM-A on 27th Aug 2019, I have very little time to decide. I can't just apply for the sake of it as my boss will have to give his LOR and I don't want to spill beans if I am not sure of an interview call at least.

Roles and responsibilities
At HAL I was part of a team looking over Final Assembly of Sukhoi-30MKI multi-role combat aircraft. I was in charge of the electrical section but often the lines of discipline were blurred and the team used to oversee the job holistically.
NMDC was a short stint at open-cast iron-ore mines, basically looking over electrical maintenance part.
At my current workplace, a steel PSU, I started as a Management Trainee(Technical). Primarily looking after electrical maintenance of equipment in Steel Melt Shop. Promotions were mostly time-bound as per policy - Junior Manager, Assistant Manager, Deputy Manager and now Manager.
But my responsibilities have not changed much over the years - it is electrical maintenance. I had the opportunity to be in procurement and planning activities, that gave me a chance to look at the functioning of a huge organization from a supply-chain management perspective. I visited Dalian, China to have the first-hand experience of new equipment that the company had procured as a part of massive expansion and modernization. Further, I was a part of the modernization team, which gave me a deep insight into various commissioning activities of a huge plant such as ours.
Of late, I have been a part of Consultancy firm (Read McKinsey & Company) which was hired to increase the profitability of our organization..(yes, we r in losses!!!) Being a part of a global consulting company has given me an opportunity to look at broader aspects of the organization. Logistics, supply chain management at the plant level, marketing of steel and the functioning of other departments (it is highly unlikely for us to visit other departments during our lifetime unless we are transferred).
For the record, I am the only non-metallurgist from the whole organization (of strength >6000 executives and >18000 employees as a whole) who was selected in the McKinsey team. And I feel this has been the greatest responsibility till date at my work-place.

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Bot
Re: IIM Bangalore EPGP Profiles   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2019, 04:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 64 posts ] 

IIM Bangalore EPGP Profiles

new topic post reply Update application status