Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:12 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Lv 3, Professional Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Marketing
Schools:Wharton (R2 Ding after interview), Booth (Ding after interview), Kellogg (R2 JD/MBA WL)
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Environmental Engineering Consultant
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Enterpreneurship, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 7.51
WE 1: 5 year in Energy
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
shana22 wrote:
unplugged wrote:
ykostyuk wrote:
so here's a question: if admission decisions are made on semi-rolling (random bases), how do they control the total number of admission? And does that mean that people who's file is reviewed later in the process (randomly), have less of a chance of getting accepted if certain demographic criteria and class shaping were fullfilled from apps reviewed earlier?

This is a very good question. Even after thinking long and hard, I couldn't come up with an answer.

I think they have a fair idea about whom to admit and whom to deny before hand.

I think they defer some of the harder decisions until later in the process. That's why all the wl's will come out later. Many of those who have not heard until the waitlists start coming out will be wl'ed or ding'ed but a few will still be accepted right up through the 29th.

Just speculation, of course, but it makes sense. I'd MUCH rather it be truly random b/c I think my odds are under 20% at this point where as they would still be ~20% if it were random.

Just a question. On what basis do they select/reject waitlisted candidates? Do they place them in the next round applicant pool and reevaluate? What percentage of people normally get an admit? I appplied in R1 and still stuck in waitlist from past 3 months. Now finding this wait intolerable. Please suggest what should I do?

My profile: Engineer from India (top university)/770/3.1/avg EC/ 4 yrs WE in a top energy company
Applied to Columbia (R2, bumped) Booth (R2, Bumped), Kellogg (R1, WL). So kellogg is my last chance :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi all, to give a little hope to the people on the R1 waitlist, I got in today. Very pumped. It didn't sound like there was a clear order to the way the calls are going out, so hang in there all other R1 waitlisters.

My process was...I called my WL advisor a couple of times, visited, and wrote a couple of career updates. Basically, I made it clear that I want to be at Kellogg next year. Anyway, I'm not sure what the format is for listing a profile, but 760gmat, 3.2gpa, 3yrs work experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Schools:Kellogg (R2 Admit), Tuck (R1 Ding), Booth (R2 Ding), Wharton (R2 Interviewed) , HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Yale SOM (R3 withdrew), Tepper (R3 withdrew)
 Q50  V45
GPA: 3.89
WE 1: 5.5 yrs engineering
Send PM
Kudos
Got the call at 9:07am PST today (3/18)......I'M IN!!!! :-D

M/U.S./29 yrs/770 GMAT/3.9 GPA/5.5 yrs WE/engineering/Good ECs
Rd 2 applicant, 2 yr FT MBA (not MMM or JD/MBA)

I seriously had to pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming! I always felt that Kellogg was the best fit for me, so I am totally ecstatic! I was very impressed with the students I met and thought that I resonated well with my interviewer. My essays were pretty strong, but maybe not quite as powerful as the ones I did for Wharton (Rd 2). Those Wharton questions were extremely well suited to my writing style, or so it seemed.

I'd like to extend a big THANK YOU to all the current Kellogg students on this board for your insights into the program and application/decision process. This board has been a major part of my research and GMAT prep over the past nine months and has made everything a whole lot easier on me.

Perhaps my admit can give some hope to those applicants who are often perceived as "purely technical" AND/OR went to an undergraduate school of "lower prestige".

To all of you still waiting for a R2 or R1/WL decision: Best of luck and DON'T STOP BELIEVING !!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Thr33 wrote:
tihor wrote:
ykostyuk wrote:
so here's a question: if admission decisions are made on semi-rolling (random bases), how do they control the total number of admission? And does that mean that people who's file is reviewed later in the process (randomly), have less of a chance of getting accepted if certain demographic criteria and class shaping were fullfilled from apps reviewed earlier?

agree...dont see how it can be a random rolling process that ensures class diversity, and also makes sure people at the end are not disadvantaged...they must have some idea about the pool beforehand...

If ad-com has an idea of the pool beforehand, would it be safe to assume that those that have not been dinged, are still under consideration and that it isn't that their applications have not been looked at all?

Also, does anyone have an idea if it is possible to be wait-listed without being interviewed, after having received an interview waiver? If that's possible, I'm supposing that anyone being bumped up to admit status from off the wait-list, would have to be interviewed at a later date :?: Can anyone from the current class please shed some light on whether this has happened in the past? I'm curious because (for those of us who have been granted waivers) it looks increasingly unlikely that there will be enough time before the decision date for any interviews.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that if you were never invited to interview (after the waiver) it's probably not your year. Meaning, if you were close enough to be wait-listed, they would definitely give you a chance to make your case. However, this is mostly conjecture (I did receive a waiver, then had a phone interview, and was admitted shortly thereafter).

That is a good question re: randomness versus shaping a class. I'll try to ask a student reader.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
Send PM
monkbent wrote:
I don't know for sure, but I suspect that if you were never invited to interview (after the waiver) it's probably not your year. Meaning, if you were close enough to be wait-listed, they would definitely give you a chance to make your case. However, this is mostly conjecture (I did receive a waiver, then had a phone interview, and was admitted shortly thereafter).

That is a good question re: randomness versus shaping a class. I'll try to ask a student reader.

Thanks Monkbent - the lack of an invite to interview led me to think the same thing. It would just be much less frustrating getting a ding upfront, instead of having it dragged out till the decision date :|
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
First post. F/31/2 year program/730/Engineering/India/Non-profit education experience of 6 years. Got an interview waiver and not heard since, so from what I read and hear its more likely to be a ding. No word yet.

Since there have been a few recent posts on the admission process, wanted to share my two bit. The Kellogg process seems less transparent to me, compared to some of the other top schools. Their official line is that a waiver is awarded if there are too many requests from a city for an interview, and it does not affect your chances. However, I am not clear as to how they make these choices of waivers from within a city? They also seem to say that the file is not opened or reviewed until an interview decision is made and processed. So if they are handing out waivers based on a study of my application and presuming its not 'random', they are obviously using some criteria for interview waivers. What are these? Especially since the consensus seems to be that if a waiver is awarded, chances of a ding are higher - precluding the small %of phone call interviews that do go out.

Am I missing something here??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
to you guys who haven't got interview invites: Kellogg is still sending out invites. in a Chinese forum, a guy got one yesterday. he was waived in mid feb

so keep faith. there might be a chance for you.

for myself, i applied R2, interviewed early March, and am now waiting for the final decision. 750/4 WE/consulting/Chinese. hopefully my dream school does not only show up in my dreams...
Intern
Intern
Schools:Columbia (accepted), Haas (rejected w/ interview), Kellogg (rejected), Stanford (R1 waitlist), Tuck (accepted), Yale (accepted)
Send PM
I got an email from Kellogg yesterday afternoon saying my decision has been released (which without te call is obviously either rejection or WL), but my status has not changed on my application page, and the link in the email redirects me to the general kellogg admissions site (https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... sions.aspx).

Where have other people found their decisions online? I assumed it would be like other schools where there is a notification when you log in to your app. Any insight would be appreciated, though I'm not all that anxious to download my rejection letter.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Send PM
WaitingOn6 wrote:
I got an email from Kellogg yesterday afternoon saying my decision has been released (which without te call is obviously either rejection or WL), but my status has not changed on my application page, and the link in the email redirects me to the general kellogg admissions site (https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... sions.aspx).

Where have other people found their decisions online? I assumed it would be like other schools where there is a notification when you log in to your app. Any insight would be appreciated, though I'm not all that anxious to download my rejection letter.

This is the link you want:
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/programs/fulltimemba/takeaction/check_application_status.aspx
(Note: You can get there by clicking on "check application status" from the toolbar on the right hand side of the link you posted.)
If you log into "apply yourself" it will NOT give you your status update. Sorry about your pending news, at least you have multiple admits.

Edit: Tried to make it more clear without cluttering the board.

Originally posted by shana22 on 19 Mar 2010, 05:58.
Last edited by shana22 on 19 Mar 2010, 06:25, edited 4 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg, Booth, Columbia
 Q44  V44
WE 1: Consumer research
Send PM
no phonecall, no e-mail, the status page reads: "Despite your many merits as a candidate, I regret to inform you that we are not able to offer you a place in the entering class"... oh well... what a shame...
Intern
Intern
Schools:Columbia (accepted), Haas (rejected w/ interview), Kellogg (rejected), Stanford (R1 waitlist), Tuck (accepted), Yale (accepted)
Send PM
Is the status page the "main" page on applyyourself? Mine looks just like it has for months and doesn't seem to have any new info, but the email I received yesterday said my decision has been posted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My status page still shows the below text. Is this the text that will change once a decision has been posted?

All the required elements of your application are complete.

If your interview has been completed, the application has been submitted for review to the admissions committee. If your interview has not been conducted, the application will be submitted to the admissions committee upon completion of the interview. The next status check update will be the admission decision (Admit, Waitlist or Deny). When a decision has been rendered, the Office of Admissions will send you an email notifying you to check your status for your decision. Decisions will be released throughout the round, but the majority of decisions will be released during the last several weeks of the round.

View Interview Match Letter
Current Student
Send PM
PercyJ wrote:
My status page still shows the below text. Is this the text that will change once a decision has been posted?

Yes. (Not that I have proof for my own eyes...but yes.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, SUpply Chain & Logistics, IB
Schools:CMU, Ross, Kellogg, Case, OSU, Stanford, Kelley
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
I was interviewed in jan...
still waiting for a decision....
keeping my fingers crossed... hope its good !!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg, Booth, Columbia
 Q44  V44
WE 1: Consumer research
Send PM
shana22 wrote:
PercyJ wrote:

Yes. (Not that I have proof for my own eyes...but yes.)

i got proof - i confirm ))
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2012
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
It is unreal how many times I've read this paragraph in the last two weeks...then I click on the letter to make sure it hasn't changed. Insanity.

PercyJ wrote:

If your interview has been completed, the application has been submitted for review to the admissions committee. If your interview has not been conducted, the application will be submitted to the admissions committee upon completion of the interview. The next status check update will be the admission decision (Admit, Waitlist or Deny). When a decision has been rendered, the Office of Admissions will send you an email notifying you to check your status for your decision. Decisions will be released throughout the round, but the majority of decisions will be released during the last several weeks of the round.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
RoyMcAvoy wrote:
It is unreal how many times I've read this paragraph in the last two weeks...then I click on the letter to make sure it hasn't changed. Insanity.

PercyJ wrote:

How many people have to do that before it is the norm? Once it is the norm it won't be insanity. Until then, I'm right there with you. :-D
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  114   115   116   117   118  ...  136   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts