Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
billyjeans wrote:
highhopes,
did you schedule your interview over the phone? you called adcom office right?

yep
Director
Director
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
billyjeans wrote:
highhopes,
did you schedule your interview over the phone? you called adcom office right?

yep

gotcha, Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Stanford, Haas, Ross, Kellogg, Yale
 Q48  V48
Send PM
I have a question about interviews. I am applying R1 and am not sure which type of interview I should request. I currently live abroad and given my remote location I assume a request for an alumni interview would result in a waiver. I am moving back to the states in late November and was wondering how much control I would have over scheduling the on-campus interview? Would an early December interview delay my application? More than an interview waiver? What about other schools? How much control will I have in scheduling interviews (crossing my fingers that I get some!)? What do y'all recommend? On-campus or alumni?

Thanks,
Claire
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
claire84 wrote:
I have a question about interviews. I am applying R1 and am not sure which type of interview I should request. I currently live abroad and given my remote location I assume a request for an alumni interview would result in a waiver. I am moving back to the states in late November and was wondering how much control I would have over scheduling the on-campus interview? Would an early December interview delay my application? More than an interview waiver? What about other schools? How much control will I have in scheduling interviews (crossing my fingers that I get some!)? What do y'all recommend? On-campus or alumni?

Thanks,
Claire

Wow that's alot of information in a couple of sentences. I did an off-campus alumni interview last year, and for that you have quiet a bit of control because they send you an email and it's your responsibility to arrange a time for the interview. But even then, my interview was in October, I had one of the earlier interviews. I think kellogg starts announcing admission in december so I think pushing interviews until december may be a little too late. It may be better to take your chances with requesting an interview abroad.

I think kellogg Interview schedules are a little more flexible than say Ross, UCLA or CBS where they expect you to complete within a certain window. Ross only gave me 2 weeks from the time I recieved to interview invite to the actual interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
claire84 wrote:

Thanks,
Claire

In your situation I'd recommend emailing/calling the Admissions Office with these quesitons. Because of how remote you are, if they're not able to find an alumni near you, maybe they'll be able to set up some sort of phone interview that you can take instead. At least it'll show initiative and your willingness to interview. I wouldn't recommend taking the waiver, I'd do anything in my power to ensure I got an interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Is there any advantage to submitting your application early at Kellogg? Do they start reviewing applications before or after the Round 1 deadline (assuming you have already interviewed)?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
In your situation I'd recommend emailing/calling the Admissions Office with these questions. Because of how remote you are, if they're not able to find an alumni near you, maybe they'll be able to set up some sort of phone interview that you can take instead. At least it'll show initiative and your willingness to interview. I wouldn't recommend taking the waiver, I'd do anything in my power to ensure I got an interview.

I agree about calling/emailing about these interview related questions and that interviewing somehow is better than the waiver. I'm planning on doing that myself because I want to know if alumni interviews are available in my location and if not then what specific on-campus interview dates are available. Highhopes mentioned that appointments are already starting so I figure it's better to sort it out sooner rather than later.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Hey everyone, just scheduled my interview for Monday Oct 5th. Wondering if anyone will be around then and wants to meet up (although, admittledly it sounds like I'll be pretty busy Class visit in the morning, lunch, interview, then info session and flying out that night). Very excited about this process and very nervous now! How is the parking situation around Kellogg? I'll be renting a car from O'Hare and just need to know how that is. Also, is there a place to confirm on my application the time and date of my interview? Just want to ensure I book everything properly.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kellogg class 2011:

"Flye offered a snapshot of the Class of 2011, whose average GMAT score is 707, came from 35 different countries and went to 240 different colleges and universities. She shared interesting facts about the student body: One student entered college at age 11, another worked on the sub-prime lending investigation, another skydived 700 times, another was a certified hypnotist, and another comes from an Italian family of winemakers. "

Personally I'd beware of that certified hypnotist. And how can someone skydive 700 times? That's everyday for two years...
:P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
billyjeans wrote:
Kellogg class 2011: beware of that certified hypnotist. And how can someone skydive 700 times? That's everyday for two years...
:P

Thats so cool and may be that guy is certified skydiver like that hypnotist. But hypnotist...seriously :lol:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Wolfie wrote:
Is there any advantage to submitting your application early at Kellogg? Do they start reviewing applications before or after the Round 1 deadline (assuming you have already interviewed)?

I don't think Kellogg starts reviewing applications before the R1 deadline. The only advantage to submitting and completing your interview earlier is that it increases the chance that your application will be reviewed sooner and you'll get your decision sooner. However, since they're reviewed randomly, there's not a direct link that early submission = early decision.

As for the international interviews, if you're given a waiver and the adcom decides you have an otherwise competitive application they'll schedule a phone interview with the adcom, since they want to interview everyone who is admitted. The on-campus interview deadline is Dec. 11, so if you think you'd be able to make that deadline and would prefer to interview on campus go for it. I don't think there's any disadvantage to waiting until December to interview. Otherwise, request an alumni interview and see what they can do for your location.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
billyjeans wrote:
Kellogg class 2011:

"Flye offered a snapshot of the Class of 2011, whose average GMAT score is 707, came from 35 different countries and went to 240 different colleges and universities. She shared interesting facts about the student body: One student entered college at age 11, another worked on the sub-prime lending investigation, another skydived 700 times, another was a certified hypnotist, and another comes from an Italian family of winemakers.:P

Then on the flip slide, there is also the guy in my section that was a mortgage analyst with Indymac. :-D All are welcome!!!

Seriously though, don't get too caught up in what amazing things everyone else has done in the past. Focus on the things that make you special and unique and then tell a great story about it. Because at the end of the day, who is really going to be able to top that one guy in our class that stopped a suicide bomber at an Israeli checkpoint.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: GM or Marketing in Digital Media/Internet Products
Schools:Haas, Kellogg, Anderson, Marshall for 2010 matriculation
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Kellogg #1 doesn't explicitly say to talk about long term goals. My current draft only talks about what I want to do after graduating. Is it imperative that I drop in a sentence or two about long term career plans?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
albyman32 wrote:
Kellogg #1 doesn't explicitly say to talk about long term goals. My current draft only talks about what I want to do after graduating. Is it imperative that I drop in a sentence or two about long term career plans?

I personally did not mention anything about long term goals, though I tend to think you probably would want to mention how your short term goal would lead to some larger objective.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
domtri33 wrote:
Because at the end of the day, who is really going to be able to top that one guy in our class that stopped a suicide bomber at an Israeli checkpoint.

Easy: I'm a CPA.

:lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
In case anyone was wondering, I confirmed with the admissions office that if someone chooses on-campus interview but then can't make it (due to travel changes etc.), there's no option to switch to the alumni interview. In that situation, a waiver would be granted (with the possibility of the phone interview being offered later). Even though it's noted several times that a waiver has no bearing on the decision, I still can't help but think that it's a disadvantage.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Send PM
Hey everyone. Hope all your apps are going well so far, and that you're all giving yourselves a chance to breathe and relieve the stress of the app season !

Question for all my fellow kellogg applicants on essay 1: are you addressing both the 'why mba' and 'why kellogg' question ? With 600 words, im finding it quite tough to get the career progress, short term and long term goals all in.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15  ...  136   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts