GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 06:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 09:34
Hi All,
I am an IT engineer with 3 years exp. Have a little bit of diverse experience in leadership as currently I am leading the cultural group of my company in the location for Associate Engagement activities. Aside from this, I have over 3+ part time experience during college in multi-level marketing.
My profile summary is as follows:
Class X - 93.8%
Class XII - 84.8%
CGPA - 6.85/10
GMAT - 710

Considering my poor GPA, can anyone pls comment on my chances at Mannheim? Also is TOEFL mandatory for Mannheim?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.4
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jan 2017, 09:42
kimtaeyeon89 wrote:
Hi raarun,
How is your application. I think the office has been opened and they start working on the application again. Is there any updates on your admission process??

Wish you best luck for your admission process.

Hi Kim,
Thank you.I have not applied yet.
Still contemplating on applying as avg work experience is around 5 yrs at Mannheim.

–Arun

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Originally posted by raarun on 16 Jan 2017, 09:39.
Last edited by raarun on 16 Jan 2017, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 09:41
kunaljubce wrote:
Hi All,
I am an IT engineer with 3 years exp. Have a little bit of diverse experience in leadership as currently I am leading the cultural group of my company in the location for Associate Engagement activities. Aside from this, I have over 3+ part time experience during college in multi-level marketing.
Class X - 93.8%
Class XII - 84.8%
CGPA - 6.85/10
GMAT - 710

Considering my poor GPA, can anyone pls comment on my chances at Mannheim? Also is TOEFL mandatory for Mannheim?

Hi Kunal,
Why don't you contact Gabriele Silver from admissions team and ask this question to her?She will let you know your suitability

-Arun

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 09:50
raarun wrote:
kunaljubce wrote:
Hi All,
Class X - 93.8%
Class XII - 84.8%
CGPA - 6.85/10
GMAT - 710

Hi Kunal,
Why don't you contact Gabriele Silver from admissions team and ask this question to her?She will let you know your suitability

-Arun

Thanks a lot Arun. Will do the same.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GRE 1: Q167 V146

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 02:59
Hi raarun,
Well I am not sure what are you looking for, but I hope you can find the best school for you. Keep us updated wheter you apply to Mannheim or not :)

Hi kunaljubce,
Yes, raarun's suggestion is the best answer that we can give. If I need to add several suggestion, give your motivation to do an MBA and your career goals when you ask Mrs. Gabriele Silver for your suitability.
Regarding the TOEFL, Yes. English Proficiency test is mandatory unless for candidates from several countries.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 08:08
Hi All,
Congrats to the admits!
I have appeared for both the interviews and I've been notfied that due to a high load of applications currently, the adcom is not able to make up their mind and have put me on a waitlist. So, I'm hoping for the best.
I'm 24 years old and I have a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering and I have three years of experience as a Process Engineer in a French Automotive Manufacturing Company based in India. I have completed a few long term international assignments In France, Germany, Thailand, China and South America. I scored 730 on the GMAT.
It would be really helpful, if some of the applicants/admits share their insight as to why they would like to go to Mannheim.
-I understand the School boasts of Good value and a high rate of employment ( owing to the strong economy of Baden Wuttenberg).

Apart from that what are your respective strategies for reaching a B1/B2 level of German before the end of course?
Are there any applicants looking to switch their industry to consulting? As I percieve, top consulting firms do not have MBS as a target school, and consulting in Germany would require atleast C1/C2 level? I would evaluate it to be a good destination for having a productive career in one of the Manufacturing HeavyWeights of Germany!
Your thoughts please!!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 09:19
Hello ayushsood24,

I am sorry that you have been waitlisted by the school. Looking at your GMAT score, probably you are way above the school average GMAT score. You are also have a good career and impressive international experience although your WE is only 3 years.

For me, I think Mannheim is the best fit for my post MBA career goals. I am a mining-metallurgical engineer and Germany is the one of the best country for manufacturing career in EU.

For German, it is nearly impossible to achieve B2 by the end of your study if you have no prior knowledge. The course load is demanding and you'll have little to no time to learn German during most of your study period. Early admitted students with no German knowledge have taken intensive course in their home country right after they are admitted (including me) and we sacrifice a lot of our free time to learn the language. But all and all, it is depending on your ability to learn because I know a friend that can reach C1 level in just a year, but that is very rare.

And yes, if you are looking for consulting jobs. MBB is not recruit from Mannheim. If you have done the interview, you should know why. There are alumni who is working at consulting, but not at MBB. And they are Germans.I have no idea on big 3 auto (VW Daimler and BMW) but if you look at the career report, in the last 3 years no alumni from Mannheim works there.

If you have anymore question I will be happy to help.

Cheers,
kimtaeyeon89
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GPA: 3.93
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 12:11
ayushsood24 wrote:
Hi All,
Congrats to the admits!
I have appeared for both the interviews and I've been notfied that due to a high load of applications currently, the adcom is not able to make up their mind and have put me on a waitlist. So, I'm hoping for the best.
I'm 24 years old and I have a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering and I have three years of experience as a Process Engineer in a French Automotive Manufacturing Company based in India. I have completed a few long term international assignments In France, Germany, Thailand, China and South America. I scored 730 on the GMAT.
It would be really helpful, if some of the applicants/admits share their insight as to why they would like to go to Mannheim.
-I understand the School boasts of Good value and a high rate of employment ( owing to the strong economy of Baden Wuttenberg).

Apart from that what are your respective strategies for reaching a B1/B2 level of German before the end of course?
Are there any applicants looking to switch their industry to consulting? As I percieve, top consulting firms do not have MBS as a target school, and consulting in Germany would require atleast C1/C2 level? I would evaluate it to be a good destination for having a productive career in one of the Manufacturing HeavyWeights of Germany!
Your thoughts please!!

Hi mate,

Let me try to share with you my experience, some thoughts and answer your questions.

First of all, why do you want to study in Mannheim business school? If your goal is to find employment in Germany post the MBA, consider as well HHL.

Now, your GMAT score is impressive and it is unfortunate you got into the waiting list. If you have posted your goal from the MBA is to work in manufacturing or pure automative engineering, then this can be one of the reasons why you got into the waiting list, in my humble opinion. The German manufacturing and engineering industry is very traditional and prefer the typical academic path, master degree in engineering post the B.Sc. MBA in gaining importance in Germany, but the economy is still quite traditional. I think being an Indian put you in tougher competition than useful.

Now coming to your point on why Mannheim. I chose Mannheim because I want to work in Germany post graduation as Germany is my home now. Mannheim is number 1 and in the country and is under a university. Germans are proud of their university, and they should, and therefore having such a degree from a university is a plus. I am working in sales and marketing in FMCG and want to continue doing so and I think Mannheim can help me progressing. I have 10 years of experience and MBS's class is a bit older than the rest and thats a plus in my case. However, I applied to HHL too (these are the only schools I applied to) and got accepted as well. I loved the personal relation in HHL. It was tough for me to choose one of them. I would recommend you to talk with HHL as they might position you better than Mannheim.

To work in Germany, you need fluent German. Yes there are some opportunities in English, but without German your chances in landing a good job are not as good, especially if your job involves communicating with the external world in Germany. You need B2/C1 as long as you speak fluently. Consulting is no exception. I don't thing there is a role when it comes to the big consulting firms. Yes MBS is not HBS, LBS or INSEAD but I don't think they will hesitate to hire from MBS is they find the right candidate. I think you could or can ask this question to the career service in MBS.

Learning German is not easy, but with persistence and willingness it is feasible. To finish one level in the language you need 2 months of 4 hours a day/ 5 days a week course. If you start learning the language now, you would be able to ready A2 by the time you start the language. You can do B1 or even B2 during your MBA. Yes MBA is demanding, but you can always manage, especially if you are a social person and mingle with Germans.

Lastly, MBS graduates work across Germany and having an MBA for the MBA number 1 is definitely and advantage. Again, I still recommend you check other schools, specially HHL and ESMT.

I really hope I could answer some of your questions. If you wish any more details, please let me know.

Cheers,
Tahseen
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 06:54
TahseenZada wrote:
ayushsood24 wrote:
Hi All,
Congrats to the admits!

Your thoughts please!!

Hi mate,

Let me try to share with you my experience, some thoughts and answer your questions.

First of all, why do you want to study in Mannheim business school? If your goal is to find employment in Germany post the MBA, consider as well HHL.

Now, your GMAT score is impressive and it is unfortunate you got into the waiting list. If you have posted your goal from the MBA is to work in manufacturing or pure automative engineering, then this can be one of the reasons why you got into the waiting list, in my humble opinion. The German manufacturing and engineering industry is very traditional and prefer the typical academic path, master degree in engineering post the B.Sc. MBA in gaining importance in Germany, but the economy is still quite traditional. I think being an Indian put you in tougher competition than useful.

Now coming to your point on why Mannheim. I chose Mannheim because I want to work in Germany post graduation as Germany is my home now. Mannheim is number 1 and in the country and is under a university. Germans are proud of their university, and they should, and therefore having such a degree from a university is a plus. I am working in sales and marketing in FMCG and want to continue doing so and I think Mannheim can help me progressing. I have 10 years of experience and MBS's class is a bit older than the rest and thats a plus in my case. However, I applied to HHL too (these are the only schools I applied to) and got accepted as well. I loved the personal relation in HHL. It was tough for me to choose one of them. I would recommend you to talk with HHL as they might position you better than Mannheim.

To work in Germany, you need fluent German. Yes there are some opportunities in English, but without German your chances in landing a good job are not as good, especially if your job involves communicating with the external world in Germany. You need B2/C1 as long as you speak fluently. Consulting is no exception. I don't thing there is a role when it comes to the big consulting firms. Yes MBS is not HBS, LBS or INSEAD but I don't think they will hesitate to hire from MBS is they find the right candidate. I think you could or can ask this question to the career service in MBS.

Learning German is not easy, but with persistence and willingness it is feasible. To finish one level in the language you need 2 months of 4 hours a day/ 5 days a week course. If you start learning the language now, you would be able to ready A2 by the time you start the language. You can do B1 or even B2 during your MBA. Yes MBA is demanding, but you can always manage, especially if you are a social person and mingle with Germans.

Lastly, MBS graduates work across Germany and having an MBA for the MBA number 1 is definitely and advantage. Again, I still recommend you check other schools, specially HHL and ESMT.

I really hope I could answer some of your questions. If you wish any more details, please let me know.

Cheers,
Tahseen

Hi Tahseen,
Thanks for your inputs!
So what I percieve from your comments is that MBS gears you for a career in Germany in Sales and Marketing, FMCG etc.
Apart from that, I had specifically asked what is the working environment( in terms of language) in most German multinationals, and the answer that I got was it really depends and it ranges from totally German to a mix of both. I said I'm willing to put in the effort and will reach business proficiency ( I'm at A1 right now) but I can not thrive in a fully German language environment.
Also, I had clearly indicated my career choices as either consulting or Strategic/General Management in Manufacturing. Having spent an year there, I now realise there were no MBA's in my plant in managerial roles, only engineers (masters or bachelors) or technicians or operators. Thanks for pointing that out!
As far as my motivation goes, my goal is not to find a Job in Germany specifically, but I was perceiving MBS as a school which holds international standing as a brand and will help me enhance my career in India ( by giving me a leg-up while applying to German manufacturing companies in India) or any other international job market (eg. Dubai etc.). ( I had asked this question in the interview too).
Thanks for your insight it was really helpful in clearing my head!
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 14:50
ayushsood24 wrote:
TahseenZada wrote:
ayushsood24 wrote:
Hi All,
Congrats to the admits!

Your thoughts please!!

Hi mate,

Cheers,
Tahseen

Hi Tahseen,
Thanks for your inputs!
So what I percieve from your comments is that MBS gears you for a career in Germany in Sales and Marketing, FMCG etc.
Apart from that, I had specifically asked what is the working environment( in terms of language) in most German multinationals, and the answer that I got was it really depends and it ranges from totally German to a mix of both. I said I'm willing to put in the effort and will reach business proficiency ( I'm at A1 right now) but I can not thrive in a fully German language environment.
Also, I had clearly indicated my career choices as either consulting or Strategic/General Management in Manufacturing. Having spent an year there, I now realise there were no MBA's in my plant in managerial roles, only engineers (masters or bachelors) or technicians or operators. Thanks for pointing that out!
As far as my motivation goes, my goal is not to find a Job in Germany specifically, but I was perceiving MBS as a school which holds international standing as a brand and will help me enhance my career in India ( by giving me a leg-up while applying to German manufacturing companies in India) or any other international job market (eg. Dubai etc.). ( I had asked this question in the interview too).
Thanks for your insight it was really helpful in clearing my head!

Hey again,

For me, yes I think MBS will help in finding a job in sales, marketing or general management. I have links to Germany so maybe that helped the admission to accept me.

Yes MBS is nice and having a MBA from Germany number 1 school will give you an advantage in India and Dubai. Anyways, you are still young and still early in your career.

If I were in your shoes, I would give myself a couple of years more and then apply to LBS. With your GMAT and a bit more experience and extracurriculars, you would appeal to LBS. If you get a MBA from LBS, you can get an amazing job in Dubai. This is just a thought.

Anyways, I really hope that finally MBS makes the right decision and admit you, then I would have the chance to meet you in person.

Fingers crossed for you and please do let know if you need any info or if you have any question you think I can help with.

Tahseen
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 04:33
Hi Everybody !
Ammara here :)

I just got offered an admit from Mannheim as well.

Would love to connect with all of you !
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 06:53
ammara1988 wrote:
Hi Everybody !
Ammara here :)

I just got offered an admit from Mannheim as well.

Would love to connect with all of you !

Hi Ammara,

Congrats for the offer. Are you planning to accept it? Once you accept it, send me your number to add you to the what'sapp group that we have with the rest of accepted students.

Cheers,
Tahseen

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 14:15
Is anyone on the wait list for Manheim 2017 intake? What are the chances of getting accepted?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Schools: Mannheim"18 (A)

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 22:45
Hi Guys

I am Nishant and I just accepted an admit from Mannheim.

Would love to connect with all of you.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 23:11
nishantm wrote:
Hi Guys

I am Nishant and I just accepted an admit from Mannheim.

Would love to connect with all of you.

Hi Nishant,

Congrats for getting accepted. We have a WhatsApp group and a Facebook group with the rest of the accepted fellows. Send me your number in a message and I'll add you to the WhatsApp.

Cheers,
Tahseen

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 05:20
Hello everybody!

I am also admitted to the program! Looking forward to meeting you.

I would be glad to help the ones in the admission process, please ask if you have any questions about the admission experience etc.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 04:56
Hello Everybody,

Congratulations to those who have got admits so far. Best of luck.

Got a wait list intimation today. Any idea on the chances of conversion from wait list? Those of you who have got admits and have formed Wattsapp/FB groups can you give us any idea in terms of the total number of people admitted so far? Then we can at least guess how many seats are left to be filled. If I am not wrong MBS has a strength of 60-65.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 22:08
GMAT20162017 wrote:
Hello Everybody,

Congratulations to those who have got admits so far. Best of luck.

Got a wait list intimation today. Any idea on the chances of conversion from wait list? Those of you who have got admits and have formed Wattsapp/FB groups can you give us any idea in terms of the total number of people admitted so far? Then we can at least guess how many seats are left to be filled. If I am not wrong MBS has a strength of 60-65.

Thanks in advance.

Hello GMAT20162017,
Unfortunately, I have no idea on waitlist conversion. In our groups there are only less than 10 people. But maybe there are people who are admitted but have not join our group. However, we can confirm that the admits only have 2 weeks (in my case) to decide whether they will matriculate or not. So, just keep in contact with the admission office. And yes, you are right. Class in MBS would have 60 students in total.

Wish you good luck for your application.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 22:18
Thanks a lot kimtaeyeon89.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: St.Gallen'17
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 07:37
Hi Guys,

I just gave GMAT last week and will now prepare my application for Mannheim.
A little about my background
India Male ,IT engineer
10,12,Engineering: + 78%
9.9 years of Total Exp with Accenture Services Pvt. Ltd.
6 years of onsite Exp in USA. (Management role)
GMAT score: 680

Being an India guy I know I have a pretty average score so but I am hoping for the best .(Fingers Crossed)

Any advice on essays will be really helpful. Thankyou !
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2017, 07:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 71 posts ] 

Calling all Mannheim MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap