Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Anyone has any idea how MIT allocates scholarships?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Sure. In past threads, I've seen people getting a big admit/congrats package with stuff that is supposed to make you excited to attend. Maybe a hat, or a coffee mug. I'm not sure if all/some/any do it anymore.

Last year they sent us a nice AdMIT package with a handwritten card, some pamphlets, and a Sloan-branded portable battery (~4000mAh). Was a nice additional surprise a few days after the phone call :)

Currently at MIT Sloan, finals week is upon us. Today's final was for a core class called "Data, Models, and Decisions", otherwise known as DMD. If you guys choose to attend Sloan, you will most likely develop a mild form of PTSD towards this three-letter acronym.

Time really, really flies. You are a freshman one year and a senior the next in these programs. I can't believe I was in your guys' shoes just one year ago. I know you've all probably heard this a million times, but just try to relax and most of all, don't put MIT Sloan on a pedestal. I remember a year ago, I wanted to get in so badly, but now as a student it just feels like... a school. When I toured the MIT (it's MIT!) classrooms after the interview, I had these hopeful visions of sitting in class learning "to be an principled, innovated leader". But now, now I have to remind myself sometimes of how badly I wanted to be here as I start dozing off in class. "Past" me would definitely smack me in the face right now. That said, yes, I admit... of course this place is awesome and life-changing and wow these people are ridonkulously brilliant, but there are many programs that are just as great and offer a transformative experience - a lot of it is what you make of it. You can be happy anywhere if you just let yourself be.

So in sum, as much as I am excited to hopefully see some of you in February during AdMIT weekend (and maybe even be your TA for core), to those of you who end up not getting that call on Wed: it's not the end of the world, get back up, learn from this, and something even better may come your way.

Finally, here's just a random collage of pictures I took late last Friday, the calm before the finals storm:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Have a quick question. Do only the acceptances receive a phone call on Wednesday? Or do they call to reject as well?

Follow up: do all acceptances receive a phone call?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if getting a phone call at all is an indication of anything. And if I don't get one by 4:30, should I assume I'm out?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
warmaster wrote:
Have a quick question. Do only the acceptances receive a phone call on Wednesday? Or do they call to reject as well?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if getting a phone call at all is an indication of anything. And if I don't get one by 4:30, should I assume I'm out?

Only acceptances get a call. Although some acceptances didn't get a call and found out through the application portal.

The anticipation is killing me :cry:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
malosis wrote:
warmaster wrote:

Only acceptances get a call. Although some acceptances didn't get a call and found out through the application portal.

The anticipation is killing me :cry:

Do they put all thing dings and wait list up at once or do those filter in throughout the day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Did you guys send thank-you note? If so what's the response (or no response)? Doing some last minute panicking here....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Blanc wrote:
Did you guys send thank-you note? If so what's the response (or no response)? Doing some last minute panicking here....

Sent one, no response. I am sure this is highly interviewer dependent so you shouldn't worry about it.

If it makes you feel better (because I did this), last year's thread had someone who specifically mentioned this point and didn't get a reply, and according to their profile they matriculated to Sloan.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
-

Originally posted by HopefulFella on 15 Dec 2015, 02:47.
Last edited by HopefulFella on 23 Mar 2016, 12:56, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
IAmHope wrote:
Blanc wrote:

Sent. No response.
The same for two of my buddies.

I sent it, too, and got a response. It shouldn't be an indication of anything, just the interviewer's personality.

BTW, a person from admissions told me that on the 16th they usually call all the admitted applicants, the asian first, then the european/ME/african, and then the american.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Blanc wrote:

Yes and got a response.

I don't believe that response or not really makes a difference at all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
panoramix wrote:
IAmHope wrote:
Blanc wrote:

Sent. No response.
The same for two of my buddies.

I sent it, too, and got a response. It shouldn't be an indication of anything, just the interviewer's personality.

BTW, a person from admissions told me that on the 16th they usually call all the admitted applicants, the asian first, then the european/ME/african, and then the american.

You mean their citizenship not region/location!? :x
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I also sent and got a response. Agree with above posts. I don't think it means much. I imagined a scenario where an interviewer who received a thank you note thinks: look at this guy. How dare he to send me a thank you note? He bombed the interview. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
lowlyconsultant wrote:
Quote:
Sure. In past threads, I've seen people getting a big admit/congrats package with stuff that is supposed to make you excited to attend. Maybe a hat, or a coffee mug. I'm not sure if all/some/any do it anymore.

Last year they sent us a nice AdMIT package with a handwritten card, some pamphlets, and a Sloan-branded portable battery (~4000mAh). Was a nice additional surprise a few days after the phone call :)

Currently at MIT Sloan, finals week is upon us. Today's final was for a core class called "Data, Models, and Decisions", otherwise known as DMD. If you guys choose to attend Sloan, you will most likely develop a mild form of PTSD towards this three-letter acronym.

Time really, really flies. You are a freshman one year and a senior the next in these programs. I can't believe I was in your guys' shoes just one year ago. I know you've all probably heard this a million times, but just try to relax and most of all, don't put MIT Sloan on a pedestal. I remember a year ago, I wanted to get in so badly, but now as a student it just feels like... a school. When I toured the MIT (it's MIT!) classrooms after the interview, I had these hopeful visions of sitting in class learning "to be an principled, innovated leader". But now, now I have to remind myself sometimes of how badly I wanted to be here as I start dozing off in class. "Past" me would definitely smack me in the face right now. That said, yes, I admit... of course this place is awesome and life-changing and wow these people are ridonkulously brilliant, but there are many programs that are just as great and offer a transformative experience - a lot of it is what you make of it. You can be happy anywhere if you just let yourself be.

So in sum, as much as I am excited to hopefully see some of you in February during AdMIT weekend (and maybe even be your TA for core), to those of you who end up not getting that call on Wed: it's not the end of the world, get back up, learn from this, and something even better may come your way.

Finally, here's just a random collage of pictures I took late last Friday, the calm before the finals storm:

So grateful to you. I am sure all applicants here would like to hear from you more about MIT. I heard from some alums that MIT has a reputation of being a place for introverts. :-D But they were surprised when they got there. What was your experience? And how is the new building? - especially gym. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Blanc wrote:

i sent a thank you note- it was heartfelt and eloquent - the equivalent of the gettysburg address .... and got a quick "great meeting you too. best of luck!" in response.

i don't think it really matters.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBB Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Prospective2016 wrote:
Very irrelevant but has anyone gotten any "swag" from any schools they've been admitted to? Coffee mugs, stickers, etc?

London sent me a nice package with a notebook, acceptance letter, guide for London and a pen.
Columbia sent me nothing.
Harvard has sent me nothing so far, but it could take some time since I live in Brazil.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Malluce wrote:
panoramix wrote:

You mean their citizenship not region/location!? :x

I guess it's the location, not citizenship. It would be the logical thing to do :-D

Less than 24 h!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
mfprado1073 wrote:
Prospective2016 wrote:
Very irrelevant but has anyone gotten any "swag" from any schools they've been admitted to? Coffee mugs, stickers, etc?

London sent me a nice package with a notebook, acceptance letter, guide for London and a pen.
Columbia sent me nothing.
Harvard has sent me nothing so far, but it could take some time since I live in Brazil.

I have just received the admit package from Booth. It includes the acceptance letter and a nice scarf with the school logo and colors.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  38   39   40   41   42   43   44  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts