Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all the Stern (NYU) Waitlist 2013 [#permalink]
chains1910 wrote:

Anyway though I ended up passing on McDonough and will reapply to CBS, Kellogg, Stern, and McDonough and probably add 1-2 out of Booth, Fuqua and Yale. McDonough has a great vibe going on (I wrote a lengthy post on my welcome weekend experience on the McDonough thread), but I'm only 24 and think I might have a better shot at some of these top schools with another year of work experience under my belt.

Why bother re-applying to McDonough? You clearly didn't like them enough to matriculate this year, and If you're keeping them as a safety school, don't expect them to welcome you back with open arms. You'll be the rare re-applicant that was accepted. Instead of trying to show how you've become a stronger applicant, you'll have to explain why you snubbed them in favor of not going to B-school and applying again the following year.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
CobraKai wrote:
chains1910 wrote:

Anyway though I ended up passing on McDonough and will reapply to CBS, Kellogg, Stern, and McDonough and probably add 1-2 out of Booth, Fuqua and Yale. McDonough has a great vibe going on (I wrote a lengthy post on my welcome weekend experience on the McDonough thread), but I'm only 24 and think I might have a better shot at some of these top schools with another year of work experience under my belt.

Why bother re-applying to McDonough? You clearly didn't like them enough to matriculate this year, and If you're keeping them as a safety school, don't expect them to welcome you back with open arms. You'll be the rare re-applicant that was accepted. Instead of trying to show how you've become a stronger applicant, you'll have to explain why you snubbed them in favor of not going to B-school and applying again the following year.

In a reapplicant status like that, yes you do have to explain why you didn't go and why now is the "better" time for you to attend. It's not as rare of an occurrence as you might think though. Adcom knows that things come up; you just have to convince them that you would go. Whether you actually attend after being accepted again is your choice though...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
It's not as rare of an occurrence as you might think though. Adcom knows that things come up; you just have to convince them that you would go. Whether you actually attend after being accepted again is your choice though...

True - but when "something comes up" and the student is unable to attend that year, that's when a deferral is asked for. If a school doesn't grant deferrals, then game on.

But in this case, nothing is preventing the applicant from matriculating this year other than the desire to go to a higher ranked school. What's the saying? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me? I just think most Adcom's are savvy enough in this situation to ding and move on.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72880 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived NYU Stern Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our NYU Stern Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated NYU Stern Forum for all fresh things related to the NYU Stern MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts