Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:13 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Marketing (Tech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Marketing (Tech)
Send PM
Re: Calling all USC Marshall IBEAR 1 Year MBA Applicants: 2023 intake [#permalink]
Kudos

hello_jay wrote:
Quote:
­

­Bro Bro Bro! Chill... I apologize if my comment hurt you in anyway. I feel sorry for you that you made a wrong choice. Wishing you all the best in your career.
Cheers!

­not a bro but sis, nevermind
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Calling all USC Marshall IBEAR 1 Year MBA Applicants: 2023 intake [#permalink]
Kudos
IBEAR graduate here. It is indeed important to know what you're getting. In my case I got what I wanted.

What will you get:
- F1 & OPT for 3 years (IBEAR is all STEM now)
- Access to the US job market as "MBA graduate"
- Access to really good professors
- A lot of good connections in the Asia-Pacific region
- Good MBA vibe: parties, events, company visits, trips, guest speakers
- Good USC vibe: nice campus and more beautiful girls than you have seen in your life

What you may get:
- Some connections with FT MBA and the rest of USC
- Help in getting typical MBA jobs (like pre-manager level in consulting or technology) - resume, student clubs, mock interviews, etc.
- Access to TA jobs while at USC

What you're unlikely to get:
- Strong competition from your classmates or their contributions to academic process (IBEAR has lower bar than the FT, and high % of the class are sponsored international students with guaranteed promotions in their companies)
- A job above the typical MBA role: nobody cares about your 15 years of experience and VP role back at home, for the US job market you're MBA graduate and you'll be treated as such. Exceptions are vanishingly rare and happen in a really special cases
- Any serious help from the faculty or career office in trying to get a job above the typical MBA role, unless your case is indeed exceptional
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JLSG2024 wrote:
­Your spouse, who graduated from USC a couple of years ago, is a key point of reference, but the rapid market growth post-pandemic and companies' struggles to hire quickly make this example not entirely relevant. Furthermore, this discussion isn't about the Full-Time program, which I cannot detail due to my lack of knowledge about it; instead, I can speak on the IBEAR program, where there's a noticeable lack of support from the graduate career service, to be precise, it's simply non-existent.

Quality of Education: :lol::lol::lol:
Placements: If you're local with the right work documents and have a network to continue your career here, I see no point in an MBA. If I just wanted to spend time and $200,000, I'd rather go to Hainan and sunbathe 24/7, living lavishly for a few years on that budget.
Network: BS.
Experience: The campus is fine, no questions there. But just walk around the university; my phone explodes with DAILY messages about robberies, harassment attempts, armed or otherwise. I asked my friends in other schools – USC's location in THE MOST DANGEROUS AREA OF LOS ANGELES is indeed a challenge.
My thoughts on IBEAR specifically: If you don't know what you're talking about, better not to speak. I don't theorize about what I don't know, and my advice to you is to figure things out before commenting.

Set your expectations right: During the prep and interview, the school set a certain level of expectations about the support we'd receive – none of that exists. If you choose a program specifically designed for mid-level managers, not for 28-year-old juniors, and the program confirms this, but then you realize it's just draining your money, it's a completely different reality that disappoints.
This is a program for highly experienced folks who are smart enough to find a basic job for themselves: The program is made for mid-level managers who are often at the Director or VP level. I can't fathom how after being a VP in an international company with 70 people under you, you'd transition to an individual contributor level – what strange logic? I was sold the program as a tool to transition my career in the US, but instead, I live like in a prison, afraid to go outside (especially dangerous for women, thus moving only by taxi), and I haven't seen a single vacancy created for me or any IBEAR student. All events are made for FT MBA, and you're seen as a competitor by both FT representatives and GCS, who aren't happy that you're competing with FT and potentially affecting their rankings.
Consider this as a place to brush up your skills and learn about the business concepts that would help you "GROW" when you join your next role in senior management of an org.:lol:For senior managers who've survived much more toxic environments back home, all this BS about polishing skills is irrelevant – I know what I'm doing, and I don't need to build my brand.

Most importantly, consider this as your opportunity to network with some smart minds from across the world. :lol:

FYI: The FT 2-year program lands you a job as a Sr. Manager or a manager at companies like Google, Amazon, Microsoft, etc. If you're an IBEAR aspirant, you're expected to join these or similar organizations as a Director, Sr. Director, VP, or even a "C" level exec. But when you talk to recruiters about this or start networking with company representatives trying to explain who you are – nobody knows what IBEAR is, nobody understands how to refer you with your profile (even if relevant), and more so, people you meet came to campus to hire interns for the summer while you're looking for a full-time role and with your resume, nobody's ready to talk to you. Of course, they'll tell you how glad they are to see you and how interesting it is, but it's BS.

Trust me, if someone is unable to get placed, it's not the program, it's them. I know that sounds harsh, but that's the reality of any B-school! – I don't want to appear or sound aggressive, but again – you don't know what you're talking about. I feel deceived – I didn't come here for this – I wasn't provided with career opportunities or anything that was promised.­

­Can't agree more. I'm a recent IBEAR graduate, and you've captured exactly how I feel after the program. Indeed, everything hinges on the level of expectations, but given the steep tuition fees, what should one realistically anticipate? The mantra of "top school, top professors, top connections" is frequently echoed, yet the reality can be brutally challenging. Embarking on a career-building journey from scratch, especially after the age of 35, is an immensely strenuous process. Could the program have offered more support? That remains a pertinent question. Improvement is always possible, especially when starting from a baseline of zero support, which accurately describes the extent of assistance I perceived I received. The lack of concern and feeling of isolation can be profoundly demoralizing, and I deeply regret undergoing this disheartening experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Anyone else received interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Sorry for late update...
I got interviewed on 16 feb.
The interviewer was Kim Grace. The interview was very conversational. Here are the questions
- tell me about yourself
- why IBEAR
- leadership style
- short term and long term goal
- some questions about my projects from the resume
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Calling all USC Marshall IBEAR 1 Year MBA Applicants: 2023 intake [#permalink]
I was also interviewed by Grace Kim on 15 Feb. The interview questions are pretty much the same with what Apul posted. Some more detailed questions about my experiences on resume. Anybody knows when the decision will be released? It seems that in previous cases decisions were released 2-4 days after the interview?­
Intern
Intern
Send PM
final date is 29th Feb
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah as mentioned by Kim during the interview, the results would come by 29th feb
Intern
Intern
Send PM
anybody heard back on admit?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Broad'26 (II)
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q87 V80 DI78
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I was interviewed and questions are same with what Apul posted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, any R1 admit here?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, anyone received update for R2 acceptance?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Calling all USC Marshall IBEAR 1 Year MBA Applicants: 2023 intake [#permalink]
I got the admit just minutes ago with scholarship

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
­I just got in with scholarship too. 
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Likewise, glad to share Ive received an IBEAR Admit($). Congratulations TinaMG and ram

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Broad'26 (II)
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q87 V80 DI78
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Congratulations to admits. Can all share your profiles?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
I have been admitted as well...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7