GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 27 May 2018, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Waitlisted Tuck Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020

new topic post reply Update application status  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Calling all Waitlisted Tuck Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 07:25
This post received
KUDOS
I know this is the million dollar question BUT....is there any indication/understanding of how many people Tuck puts on the waitlist? I know MBA Guru give people about a 10% chance of getting off the Tuck waitlist, but that is only self-reported, so assuming the data points are small?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
Calling all Waitlisted Tuck Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 22:11
This post received
KUDOS
MBA55612 wrote:
I know this is the million dollar question BUT....is there any indication/understanding of how many people Tuck puts on the waitlist? I know MBA Guru give people about a 10% chance of getting off the Tuck waitlist, but that is only self-reported, so assuming the data points are small?

I took at closer look at the underlying data from GMAT club, which is the same source as MBA data guru uses. I can confirm the 10% wait list acceptance rate. It's a decent sample ~300 waitlisted candidates from 2012-2017, including ~30 admits from the waitlist. If you compare the number of waitlisted students to the number of admitted students in database, it looks like Tuck waitlists 1 applicant per 2 admits. Therefore we can assume there are probably ~250 applicants on the waitlist with us at this point.

We're competing for on average 25 slots. Though those 25 slots are really 0 to 50 slots depending on what happens to their yield rates. A 3% increase or decrease in Tuck's yield, well within the realm of reality, means Tuck needs to pull 15 fewer or additional candidates off the waitlist. To sanity check that 250, I would guess their thinking goes something like this: they loses ~50% of WL candidates to other school (wild guess), they need about ~50 WL candidates in their yield dips, and they probably double that number so they can pull from the right buckets and balance the class. So, i don't know, 50*2*2 = 200.

The good news is the odds of being accepted off the waitlist are probably higher than 10% once you take into account the Tuck waitlisters matriculating to other schools. The bad news is the biggest determinant of your odds is Tuck's yield rate and probably the yield rate within your bucket. Although from what's I've read Tuck is a school where your waitlist interactions with the adcom can really move the needle.

We may be the benchwarmers, but a lot of great careers get started that way!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Calling all Waitlisted Tuck Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
Guys, I am an international applicant from India and was waitlisted after interview in EA round but haven't been approached by any waitlist advisor for feedback regarding my candidacy. Is there anyone else in a similar boat and what steps are you taking? Did anyone connect with a Tuckie who successfully converted from WL and has any suggestions?

Also, can someone please add me to the waitlist whatsapp group, my number is +91-8283817983, thanks!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 10:18
hello everyone! I am a EA waitlisted applicant and I did not receive any feedback, what about you guys?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 15:24
Assuming everyone got the email today that they are releasing some waitlist decisions May 11th?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '20 (WL)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 15:53
Yup. I'm sure it is just an automated email for everyone. Good luck though!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
Received the call from Hanover today, accepted after being WL from the January round
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V49
GPA: 3.01

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 07:52
schretro wrote:
Received the call from Hanover today, accepted after being WL from the January round
Congrats! Mind sharing stats/job/location so the rest of us have something to pointlessly speculate about? :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 07:56
Mind sharing stats/job/location so the rest of us have something to pointlessly speculate about? :)

Sure. Three years of Finance in NYC, one year Social Entrepreneurship in Germany. 710 GMAT, 3.5 GPA from a German University.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/quote]
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V49
GPA: 3.01

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 07:59
Cool. What's your plan post-Tuck? Switch to consulting? I imagine you'd stay in NYC if you wanted to stay on the finance track.
schretro wrote:
Mind sharing stats/job/location so the rest of us have something to pointlessly speculate about? :)

Sure. Three years of Finance in NYC, one year Social Entrepreneurship in Germany. 710 GMAT, 3.5 GPA from a German University.

[/quote]

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 08:22
I am thinking about consulting, yes. It almost certainly isn't Finance :) But also kind of doing the MBA to figure this out..

tx-guy13 wrote:
Cool. What's your plan post-Tuck? Switch to consulting? I imagine you'd stay in NYC if you wanted to stay on the finance track.
schretro wrote:

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 09:03
schretro wrote:

Congratulations and best wishes for your time at Tuck! :thumbup: Could you please share some details on what you did during your waitlist time, i.e. did you contact them periodically, submitted a supplementary essay, or any other stuff? Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 09:12
Good luck to you guys. Remember that fortune favors the brave. From a Future MBA Candidate. Best
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 09:26
zczlf92 wrote:
schretro wrote:

Congratulations and best wishes for your time at Tuck! :thumbup: Could you please share some details on what you did during your waitlist time, i.e. did you contact them periodically, submitted a supplementary essay, or any other stuff? Thanks in advance

Contacted them every four weeks, so basically twice as I got WL'ed in March. First email was to let them know where I saw weaknesses in my application (quant score on the GMAT), second one was to let them know that I completed a Wharton Online Course in Financial Accounting. They said today that they liked the proactive approach. Wouldn't contact them more than neceessary though/ only let them know if something materially changes (e.g. promotion). I think it can be a thin line between being enthusiastic and annoying.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 06:50
Is there any waitlisted candidate from India who received an update from Tuck last Friday ?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Re: Calling all Waitlisted Tuck Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020   [#permalink] 13 May 2018, 06:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Calling all Waitlisted Tuck Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbsingh

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap