Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Wharton (WL), MIT
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 2 yrs banking
WE 2: 2 yrs PE / Hedge Fund
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: Calling All Wharton 2011 Business School Waitlisters [#permalink]
MidwestApp wrote:
Thanks. Has anyone called the admissions office to ask about the waitlist and try to gain any additional information? Also are people e-mailing the waitlist manager to express continued interest as advised in the below poets & quants post?

https://poetsandquants.com/2010/06/28/th ... -for-mbas/

E-mailing Wharton - big mistake. A friend of mine who was a former student adcom fellow mentioned they would flag people who they though were disrespectful of the process. Based on my experience from last year, soon we are likely to receive an e-mail detailing further how we need to behave while on the waitlist. Last year, I was waitlisted 3 times (R2, R3, Summer Waitlist) some people said they had e-mailed or had others contact admissions on their behalf (against the waitlist letter notice to not send in materials). I tried the same approach - had an alum and a current student send in letters of support after the first waitlist. I had great progress to talk about - a project tied between my job and Wharton, a new promotion was on the horizon, and it still didn't help. This year, I have decided to wait and see. I think this large waitlist is abnormal and I think they may do another review and shed/accept people before the end of R2.

By the way I'll be at the Wharton student chat in Atlanta tonight. Let me know if any of you are going as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:DUKE class of 2014
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: sales/trading
Send PM
Shubhster15 wrote:
I am putting down a deposit to the other school end of Feb. It is only $1500 for me...and if I have to lose it to go to Wharton...I am cool with that. What is a measly $1500 when I am probably looking at a giant loan regardless? Think of it as an investment.

same boat, same plan...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hello all - thank you PEanalyst! this is fantastic..

I've only heard a couple of instances in the past 2 years where people got off the waitlist before the R2 deadline. But who knows this year given all the changes and sheer number of people on the waitlist. I would guess that when interviews go out for R2, they might re-look at the waitlist to see if there are any under-represented groups (by country or job function) and invite accordingly. Most of us will probably have to wait till March. No technical glitches/conspiracy like some of us (me included) were hoping for!

These coffee chats are such a tease - I'm not sure if its worthwhile going or not. Do you think it would help to meet current students? Would they even have any weight when it comes influencing adcom (especially when Wharton is one school where adcom actually does expect waitlisters to WAIT as opposed to continue marketing themselves)? Having said that, what do you have to lose by going and you could learn something new about Wharton? I'm on the fence i suppose.

Wish everyone the best of luck! Good to have company during this prolonged wait.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
PEanalyst wrote:
I think Wharton is a unique case in that they really do not want to hear from you, from what I have read and in speaking to some people.

I think I would just leave well enough alone, as unbelievably frustrating as it is.

So for other schools, specifically kellogg, there are things I should do now that I'm on the waitlist?? extra essays or something?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I would just love some explanation of exactly what happened this year with the waitlist and if they are treating us differently than in the past...I just dont get it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
does anyone know someone who has gotten off the waitlist after sending in more materials?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Wharton, Duke, Yale, Georgetown, Emory
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
I was thinking of going to the Wharton coffee chat in Atlanta today. But had already RSVPed for the Yale coffee chat, and since that school actually admitted me, I am feeling a bit more loyal to it today. I just want you to admit me already Wharton...don't make me cheat on you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
Hey.. HEY... Wharton! Shubster15's cheating on you!!
Manager
Manager
Schools:Wharton, Duke, Yale, Georgetown, Emory
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Gee..thanks!

Originally posted by Shubhster15 on 21 Dec 2010, 14:47.
Last edited by Shubhster15 on 21 Dec 2010, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
I told my supervisor I got waitlisted and his response was "Congrats!"

Sigh.

I mentioned it the executive and he tells me he's taking a trip to Wharton to meet with their career office folks........ :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
CyberC1 wrote:
I told my supervisor I got waitlisted and his response was "Congrats!"

Sigh.

I mentioned it the executive and he tells me he's taking a trip to Wharton to meet with their career office folks........ :?

I've gotten the same response from ppl. They say that it legitimizes my application as having been good enough for an admit (or almost)

think that's true?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
If that is true then why wouldn't they just have admitted us since they seem to have admitted significantly less than normal.
Current Student
Send PM
I think that I'll feel much better when I get into a business school, so ask me again in March :P, I hope
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton (WL), Kellogg (R2, JDMBA), HBS (Ding)
GPA: 3.90
Send PM
It is indeed an accomplishment to have made it to the waitlist. Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like one - maybe that will change over the next few months. Sigh.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
a wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
E-mailing Wharton - big mistake.
A friend of mine who was a former student adcom fellow mentioned they would flag people who they though were disrespectful of the process.

According to your experience you weren't flagged last year.
You say that you didn't respect the rule and send a lot of material. Even though, they didn't ding you and you stayed in the WL while others were dinged, right?

I didn't send in that much material, but It could be that a flag kept me on the waitlist, instead of being admitted (I did get dinged in July after the 3 waitlists). A person who had worked there before told me that they had never seen extra material help an applicant at Wharton, since the school is strict about being fair. In another case, I have heard that a person was waitlisted because of low GMAT and even though they retook it and sent in the much better score, they were still rejected, because additional material could not be considered. This year, I'm staying put.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Send PM
kegewe wrote:
I've gotten the same response from ppl. They say that it legitimizes my application as having been good enough for an admit (or almost)

think that's true?

I think it rings some truth, but my boss had a kind of mixed expression when I told him about my Wharton waitlist. In the end, my app just wasn't good enough for a clear admit. I think he knows that chances of getting off of WL are low.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I didn't get too positive a response from my boss on the waitlist either. I think the difficulty is trying to explain to outsiders that the waitlist system is actually different this year. Based on previous years, I would probably say that the chances aren't too great to get in.. but now I really have no idea what the odds are.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23