It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 14:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2008, 16:35
ndiaconu wrote:
submitted 4th of october- and invited today around 2pm. Believe me dont give up yet. I thought I have no shot. Hang in there!!

I second that. I have applied to two schools in RD1 and hadn't received any invite until today. I was starting to get worried. Still a long way to go but one hurdle crossed.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2008, 17:58
ndiaconu wrote:
submitted 4th of october- and invited today around 2pm. Believe me dont give up yet. I thought I have no shot. Hang in there!!

ok still early applicants getting interviews, that gives us late applicants hope !
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 00:23
Maaan, with that sense of humor and attitude... I don't know what to say, but I have some feeling that MBA is going to stay a distant dream for you. You can "say goodbye to Uncle Louie"... 8-)
winstonct wrote:
Nonsense and pay attention to your potty mouth.

sonibubu wrote:
winstonct wrote:
What are you trying to say with the word "blasphemous", dude?
:evil:

There are so many things more important in your life than going for a MBA at Wharton.

That is borderline blasphemous for those of us dying for a Wharton admit ;)

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 04:58
What percentage of Wharton applicants have "no shot" i.e. just put together an app hastily with poor essays or stats/WE that keeps them out of the running?

My guess would be 20%. So that leaves half of "solid" candidates to receive interview invites.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 06:41
I guess Soni is right....if 40% of interviewed candidates get admitted that makes the acceptance rate 20% for solid candidates. 1 in 5.

Assuming most solid applicants apply to the same 7-8 top schools (more or less), everyone should land somewhere after the solid applicants get distributed across schools.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 10:28
seems like the outpouring of invitations has slowed down in the past two days...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 11:38
jjright212 wrote:
seems like the outpouring of invitations has slowed down in the past two days...

I don't know whether its a good/bad sign. I have already lost hope :-(
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 12:25
yeah it's pretty frustrating - i put in the most work for the wharton app...not getting an interview will be depressing...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 12:32
wooster123 wrote:
jjright212 wrote:

I don't know whether its a good/bad sign. I have already lost hope :-(

Don't lose hope. I know some people who have received invitations in the last 6 hours of the deadline.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 12:33
sonibubu wrote:
What percentage of Wharton applicants have "no shot" i.e. just put together an app hastily with poor essays or stats/WE that keeps them out of the running?

My guess would be 20%. So that leaves half of "solid" candidates to receive interview invites.

I would say that number is higher than 20%.

I would say 20% is the number of applicants with poor academics/WE. Then out of the remaining 80%, I bet close to half have poor essays and apps. The remaining people get invited which around the 50%

Meaning - solid essays + academics/work exp = interview

solid essays + academics/work exp + interview + profile in class = admit
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 12:36
terp - what do you mean by "profile in class"?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 12:38
Some guy on BW who serves on Wharton's volunteer admissions commitee said that most of the invites will go out next week.

I hope for our sake that this is true. In any event, this process of waiting has been more frustrating than what I previously imagined. Its the equivalent of dating a really hot girl that may be out of your league, and constantly checking your phone to see if you have a missed call from her. its totally addicting, yet horrible for your self-esteem.

That sticky post on the stages of the B-school application process really hits home. I am definitely cemented in the "I won't get in anywhere" stage.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 12:56
gt7er wrote:
terp - what do you mean by "profile in class"?

how you compare to the other applicants in your profile (industry/demographic) Basically how they shape their class and diversity
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 12:56
jjright212 wrote:
Some guy on BW who serves on Wharton's volunteer admissions commitee said that most of the invites will go out next week.

I hope for our sake that this is true. In any event, this process of waiting has been more frustrating than what I previously imagined. Its the equivalent of dating a really hot girl that may be out of your league, and constantly checking your phone to see if you have a missed call from her. its totally addicting, yet horrible for your self-esteem.

That sticky post on the stages of the B-school application process really hits home. I am definitely cemented in the "I won't get in anywhere" stage.

yea I remember that hot girl feeling :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 12:57
Here's the linke if anyone's interested:
http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=76908
Current Student
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Held with Leadership Essay (Wharton essay #3) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2008, 07:42
Hi all, I'm applying to schools in R2. For those who have received invites, congrats and good luck!!!

I've started on the Wharton apps and I'm not sure if I'm approaching the Leadership essay correctly:

Leadership opportunities are very limited in my work environment. I'm in private equity and I've not had any direct reports or managed subordinates, because I'm still junior.

I've chosen to use my out of work experience as my leadership essay. I work in the management team of a non-profit.

My problem is, even in this position, I've not technically led people. However, the position requires organization skills, improving teamwork and implementing new ideas.

Will this suffice? And will I be answering the question by describing my contribution to the management team even though I haven't led anyone?

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by solaris1 on 08 Nov 2008, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Your question does not warrant its own thread. I have moved it to the existing Wharton '09 thread.
VP
VP
Re: Held with Leadership Essay (Wharton essay #3) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2008, 09:27
stopper5 wrote:
Hi all, I'm applying to schools in R2. For those who have received invites, congrats and good luck!!!

I've started on the Wharton apps and I'm not sure if I'm approaching the Leadership essay correctly:

Leadership opportunities are very limited in my work environment. I'm in private equity and I've not had any direct reports or managed subordinates, because I'm still junior.

I've chosen to use my out of work experience as my leadership essay. I work in the management team of a non-profit.

My problem is, even in this position, I've not technically led people. However, the position requires organization skills, improving teamwork and implementing new ideas.

Will this suffice? And will I be answering the question by describing my contribution to the management team even though I haven't led anyone?

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated. Thanks!

any experience where you impact other people (training, persuading, getting your ideas implemented, affecting organizational change, can all be seen as leadership activities)

As long as your out of work experience at your non-profit is a significant involvement of time you should be okay. However, if you can, try to think of something you have done at work to show leadership. Once again, not directly managing people but other types of leadership. You can save your non-profit experiences for the whatever else you would like adcom to know.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2008, 11:37
So will we have invites/dings by the end of Wednesday or by the end of thursday?

The adcom blog says we will hear by Nov. 13
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2008, 20:39
Good luck everyone! I know how painful the wait can be.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2008, 14:52
I just wanted to wish everyone good luck! I hope the next few days bring some good news to all of you guys!
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2008, 14:52

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25  ...  67    Next  [ 1339 posts ] 

Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap