Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:49 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate, Grad w/ Highest Honors
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Chicago Booth R2 (WL), Wharton R2 w/ int, Kellogg R2 w/ int
GMAT 2: 680  Q44  V38
GPA: 3.877
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink]
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
Jivana wrote:
hm2009 wrote:
Just had my interview with a recently graduated alumnus (3 yrs ago). It was more stressful than I would have liked; she had another interviewer after me so had to put a wrist-watch on the table before the interview began. A 30 minute interview on the dot. Some of the questions, in the sequence they were asked:

- tell me about your current job and why did you choose it.
- what sort of team experiences have you had, with an example as needed.
- what are the short-term post-mba goals (did not ask long-term) (I named one company I was aiming for and focused my answer around that.)
- what if s-t goals don't work out/that company goes bust (talked about backup plan)
- I am a published author with a book coming out, so there was a question about that.
- one significant leadership experience relevant to my post-mba goals
- why do you want Wharton (I told her I don't want to give her a list of courses/profs and she was happy about that. focused my answer on my personal inferences drawn from school-visit and conversations with current students. gave detailed examples and anecdotes)

That's about it. Overall I felt I could've done better but I was able to bring out some good personal stories that are at the core of my personality. She was mostly impassive, so hard to draw any inferences, but I felt I did "strictly OK".

Good luck to others.

I like the bold part. :)

I kind hate it when you cannot read other person's body language, and can;t gauge how the hell the meeting is going..

For any interviewers reading this, please feel free to express yourself. If you do not like something, but do not want to say something negative, let your body language do the talking...we will take the hint.

I had been formally trained as an interviewer for my Alma Mater (not Wharton) in the past and I can tell you that they do explicitly train people to use poker face in front of the candidates (not even a smile). It is seen as a fairness thing (to prevent bias caused by the interviewer's reactions and to prevent interviewees from focusing on what they perceive makes the interviewer happy). If you ask me, younger interviewers (including 2yr on campus interviewers) are more likely to comply with that training, than older alumnae interviewers who might be more unpredictable. I am going into my interview expecting a strict poker face style interviewer, and if I get something different - that's just luck.

Wharton interviewers are not explicitly trained to be poker faced, and not told to not smile. It is a friendly place, guys!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Absolutely genius!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General,Marketing,International Business
Send PM
I just had my interview with an alum in Asia. She was friendly, genuinely interested to learn about me and very professional as well.

The interview was 50 minutes + 10 minutes to naswer my questions.
She structured it around my resume but managed to weave in quetsions on leadership, conflict management, team work into the discussion. Lots of probing questions to understand my level of responsibility and work on a daily basis. A few questions on the industry in which I want to pursue a career and what I think the future will hold for it. Basic questions on Why wharton, Why MBA , future goals were there too.

Overall it was a casual converstaion yet a comprehensive one.

Fingers crossed and good luck to you all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
xerox wrote:
Wharton interviewers are not explicitly trained to be poker faced, and not told to not smile. It is a friendly place, guys!

A much needed reminder :) Thanks xerox!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Kellogg R1, HBS R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Stern R1
Send PM
Hey,

I had my HUB interview with a Wharton Admissions Committee member earlier this week. A short list of questions:

1) Tell me a little bit about yourself
2) Why did you go to X school?
3) What made you switch from Job 1 to Job 2?
4) Why an MBA, and why at this stage? (I also answered the "Why Wharton?" aspect of things here, so it wasn't a separate question).
5) Tell me about a time when you had to work with a difficult teammate.
6) Do you have any questions for me?

I think there were a couple more, but I can't seem to remember them right now. On the whole, it was more a conversation than an interview, and the interviewer was friendly/engaging throughout.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
:-)

Originally posted by sara0009 on 26 Feb 2010, 02:39.
Last edited by sara0009 on 25 Mar 2010, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Booth-Class of 2012
Send PM
Had my Wharton and my Lauder interview a couple of weeks ago. The Lauder interviewer graduated 15 years ago! And he said to me that he has not done one these interviews in a very long time. The actual interview lasted 30 minutes and he did not ask much about why the program or my goals, which I found a little bit strange; he asked me about the state of the economy... All in all, I cannot say how it went.
My Wharton interview on the other hand was more “normal”. My interviewer had few questions prepared and apart from the typical questions of why MBA, why Wharton and goals, she asked me about leadership and which clubs will I join. She also told me that interviewers may be notified about the decision before we know, so she would let me know as soon as she hears from W.
I thought that after the interview I would be less nervous, but I think that now it is worst. At least W releases all decisions around the same date, but that does not stop me checking my application status every couple of days.
Good luck with the interviews!
Current Student
Send PM
BTW, I've read on S2S that half of the Lauder class has already been accepted. Taking into account that R2 applicants are larger in number, this is not very encouraging
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
Send PM
Had my interview with an alumnus yesterday....was by far the toughest interview I had. No WHy MBA, why Wharton, Why now. Wanted to get a deep sense of challeneges at work and why an accomplishment was truely a accomplishment. To be honest, he was critical of everything I would say, questioning if my "challenge" or "accomplishment" was even that big of a deal. I think he was trying to see how I would react to him being critical of what I was saying.

REALLY TOUGH!!!!

Did anyone else get a tough interviewer? These Alumni interviews are totally random. I had a great connection with my Chicago Booth interviewer but this guy was really hard.
Current Student
Send PM
robertrdzak wrote:
Did anyone else get a tough interviewer? These Alumni interviews are totally random. I had a great connection with my Chicago Booth interviewer but this guy was really hard.

Same here, I did not feel that there was a connection with my Lauder interviewer, I just hope that the Wharton interview weights the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools: NYU-R1 wait-list w/iv , Wharton-R2 (summer-waitlist; fall2010), INSEAD R2 (jan'11), CBS fall 2011 ED
 Q49  V38
Send PM
robertrdzak wrote:

Tough break man; I did not have such a rough experience but it was certainly an atypical W interview (if there is such a thing), going by the long history of friendly W interviewers. I think either W is changing tact for R2 to separate the weed from the chaff, or they've instructed Alumnus to make it as close to an adcom/on-campus experience as possible. All speculation, of course, but just look at the last 3-4 experiences on this forum -- all a little off-kilter.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hm2009 wrote:
robertrdzak wrote:

Tough break man; I did not have such a rough experience but it was certainly an atypical W interview (if there is such a thing), going by the long history of friendly W interviewers. I think either W is changing tact for R2 to separate the weed from the chaff, or they've instructed Alumnus to make it as close to an adcom/on-campus experience as possible. All speculation, of course, but just look at the last 3-4 experiences on this forum -- all a little off-kilter.

Yea, I was expecting to get the short straw eventually...I was just hoping it wasn't going to happen with my top choice. Half way through I was able to wield him with my undeniable charm and get him to laugh and loosen up a little. We will see...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Between this forum and the bw forum, I have noticed 4-5 posts mentioning that interviews for round 2 (both on campus and through alumni) have significantly differed from the traditional predictable format (why wharton, why mba, why now).

Questions have ranged from drilling deep on accomplishment stories to "definition of success", and many have reported not even getting asked why wharton/why mba/why now.

Just wanted to see if this was consistent with what most people interviewing in round 2 have experienced, and what other common "unexpected" questions have popped up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Social Enterprise
Schools:Stanford (dinged), Wharton/Lauder (in!), Columbia (in!)
Send PM
Xerion wrote:
BTW, I've read on S2S that half of the Lauder class has already been accepted. Taking into account that R2 applicants are larger in number, this is not very encouraging

Mmm not very encouraging at all. I wonder how many Lauder applicants make up the total pool of Wharton applicants... And furthermore, how many in each track.

Didn't have my Wharton interview yet, but spoke with a Lauder alum last week. For anyone else who hasn't interviewed with Lauder yet -- it wasn't as traditional as how it seems the Wharton interview is supposed do be.

Main questions -
Walk me through your resume
Why MBA?
Why Wharton?
International experience? --> obviously, a lot of time spent on that
How well can you juggle your time? --> given the packed schedules of the joint program, she was very interested in learning how I will effectively manage my time.
How will you contribute to Lauder/Wharton? What clubs/activities will you take part in?
What if you don't get into Lauder, and just Wharton?

Hope this helps. Good luck all!

Originally posted by awang1283 on 01 Mar 2010, 13:44.
Last edited by awang1283 on 01 Mar 2010, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
awang1283, I got the international experience question but also the why Lauder and not Wharton MBA only.
Good luck for your interview!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
I finished my Wharton interview on campus today after spending the day on campus. I had a very friendly experience - the interviewer had a similar post MBA goal so we were able to chat about it. I had the standard set of questions plus several that catered well to storytelling, so I was able to share more stories than I had done at any mock interview. As a result of the experience I am realizing Wharton interviews are very much an evaluation of fit with the program's character. I plan on not worrying about how I did. This was my last to-do for this year's application season, so I am about to enjoy my first free evenings and careless weekends in a looooong time. Cheers!!!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
I finished my Wharton interview on campus today after spending the day on campus. I had a very friendly experience - the interviewer had a similar post MBA goal so we were able to chat about it. I had the standard set of questions plus several that catered well to storytelling, so I was able to share more stories than I had done at any mock interview. As a result of the experience I am realizing Wharton interviews are very much an evaluation of fit with the program's character. I plan on not worrying about how I did. This was my last to-do for this year's application season, so I am about to enjoy my first free evenings and careless weekends in a looooong time. Cheers!!!

Posted from my mobile device

Congrats on being done with interviews and to-dos, MBAgirl2010! How was your experience on campus? I was going to visit today but someone in the admissions office told me students would be prepping for exams or something... I will likely still visit on Wednesday but I'm trying to determine whether I'll realistically get a sense for campus life/fit if I head over there this week. What do you think?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  71   72   73   74   75  ...  105   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts