Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]
zenzen wrote:
if you get accepted to interview does that mean that your recommendations were okay? and that they won't reject because of your recommendations?

I would say yes.

However it doesn't mean that it won't still play a factor, but if you were worried about your rec badmouthing you, then I think it's safe to say that you are ok in that department.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
zenzen wrote:
if you get accepted to interview does that mean that your recommendations were okay? and that they won't reject because of your recommendations?

Being a part of this thing for two years now, I would venture to agree with Terp...if you are invited to interview, I don't think "one" thing takes you off of the radar. I think from the interview process onwards, the discussion is focused on fit and how the class is shaping up (the latter may not matter as much for R1).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Does everyone still have their status set to "Invite to Interview"?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
yeah, agold, I do. However, in the Scheduling interviews section, it shows interview completed (https://admissions.chicagogsb.edu/admis ... hedule.tap)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
mbagal2011 wrote:
yeah, agold, I do. However, in the Scheduling interviews section, it shows interview completed (https://admissions.chicagogsb.edu/admis ... hedule.tap)

Same. Just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
mbagal2011 wrote:

Hmm, mine says "In Progress" and on the next line "Interview Completed." Is that the same as yours?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
monkbent wrote:
mbagal2011 wrote:

Hmm, mine says "In Progress" and on the next line "Interview Completed." Is that the same as yours?

Yes. Let's stop looking into it. It's fine :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
agold wrote:
monkbent wrote:
mbagal2011 wrote:

Yes. Let's stop looking into it. It's fine :)

Trying to deny me another vessel into which to pour my anxieties are you?!?!
:oops:
:-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Just finished my interview with Booth MBA alumni.

Flying back to NYC in about 90 minutes.

I gotta say, I received typical questions regarding my interests, goals, why Booth question, my leadership experience, etc etc

However, the guy kept focusing on my master's degree and certifications (regarding my profession) and I think he had an impression that I am simply accumulating degrees/certifications....and MBA is just next step.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
Just finished my interview with Booth MBA alumni.

Flying back to NYC in about 90 minutes.

I gotta say, I received typical questions regarding my interests, goals, why Booth question, my leadership experience, etc etc

However, the guy kept focusing on my master's degree and certifications (regarding my profession) and I think he had an impression that I am simply accumulating degrees/certifications....and MBA is just next step.

I didn't realize they were still conducting interviews - did you get an extension?

Alumni vs. 2nd Years seem like very different interview environments...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
 Q42  V49
Send PM
wow.. still doing interviews? i thought they had to be done by the 3rd. Oh well.

Has anyone heard anything after their interview?

I am so distracted at work these days... hard to concentrate on work and R2 apps.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
fugo wrote:
wow.. still doing interviews? i thought they had to be done by the 3rd. Oh well.

Ok. I got to board soon and put away my laptop so here's my brief recap:

Yes, I was approved for extension on my interview date due to nature of my work. There was a series of posts in this forum few weeks ago regarding that matter.

So I met with Booth alumni, currently a managing director of Goldman Sachs in Chicago office. Lasted about 35 to 40 minutes. He was cocky. Before he got his Booth MBA, he worked in some boutique investment bank out of San Franscisco. Then after his MBA, he started working at GS and climbed ladder. He became a MD only after 3 years.

The guy had weird thing about lights in the interview room. He preferred not having lights on due to some stupid story about how he got yelled by his boss in a meeting once regarding a deal involving a company that makes lightbulbs or something. After that, he started working in dark whenever possible.

He asked:

1) Talk to me about your past work experience and the reason for pursuing MBA degree.

2) Explain your goals and how Booth fits into your plans (and after I stated 3 different goals, he kept asking what else, what else)

3) What attracted you to Booth MBA program and what do you hope to accomplish while pursuing your degree? (He kinda wanted me to do a analysis on benefits and opportunity costs of pursuing Booth over other options...I was like huh?)

4) Tell me about your leadership exp and give me few examples when you had to deal with problematic employees in your team.

5) I see that you have a list of professional certifications as well as a master's degree. Why do you need another master's degree? (Then he kept asking - are you sure you aren't pursuing MBA because it's just nice to have?)

In the end I asked few questions regarding his job and problems in financial services etc etc

I felt like I went through a cavity search rather than an interview afterwards. Not sure if I did ok. He kept a blank face during the whole time but I hope I impressed him enough.

I wonder if all Booth students have similar personalities...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
So I met with Booth alumni, currently a managing director of Goldman Sachs in Chicago office. Lasted about 35 to 40 minutes. He was cocky. Before he got his Booth MBA, he worked in some boutique investment bank out of San Franscisco. Then after his MBA, he started working at GS and climbed ladder. He became a MD only after 3 years.

MD after 3 years?! Was he in Sales & Trading?
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
agold wrote:

MD after 3 years?! Was he in Sales & Trading?

he said he was a commodities trader when he started
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
fugo wrote:

Ok. I got to board soon and put away my laptop so here's my brief recap:

Yes, I was approved for extension on my interview date due to nature of my work. There was a series of posts in this forum few weeks ago regarding that matter.

The guy had weird thing about lights in the interview room. He preferred not having lights on due to some stupid story about how he got yelled by his boss in a meeting once regarding a deal involving a company that makes lightbulbs or something. After that, he started working in dark whenever possible.

He asked:

1) Talk to me about your past work experience and the reason for pursuing MBA degree.

2) Explain your goals and how Booth fits into your plans (and after I stated 3 different goals, he kept asking what else, what else)

3) What attracted you to Booth MBA program and what do you hope to accomplish while pursuing your degree? (He kinda wanted me to do a analysis on benefits and opportunity costs of pursuing Booth over other options...I was like huh?)

4) Tell me about your leadership exp and give me few examples when you had to deal with problematic employees in your team.

5) I see that you have a list of professional certifications as well as a master's degree. Why do you need another master's degree? (Then he kept asking - are you sure you aren't pursuing MBA because it's just nice to have?)

In the end I asked few questions regarding his job and problems in financial services etc etc

I felt like I went through a cavity search rather than an interview afterwards. Not sure if I did ok. He kept a blank face during the whole time but I hope I impressed him enough.

I wonder if all Booth students have similar personalities...

Sounds rough...seems like he enjoys putting people through the ringer..

No lights? Was it pitch black? or were there windows?
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
sigity wrote:

There were windows. Room was just little shady without lights
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
sigity wrote:

There were windows. Room was just little shady without lights

Maybe he was just trying to save energy costs. Have you seen the latest quarterly financials released by GS? :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  46   47   48   49   50   51   52  ...  95