GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 15:53
I came out of the GSB, hurriedly covered myself with the overcoat and turned right. I walked north and headed to the 55th street. My mind was still fresh with the GSB interview that lasted only 30 minutes. "How did 30 minutes go so fast", I thought. Other aspirants including a hermana from Mexico waiting in the admissions office wished me luck as I entered the room.

"Congratulations. You are in the top 50% of the candidates. GSB calls only 50% of applicants for the interview", he said. "Thank you", I replied and settled down. It was a small room. He had my resume and had reviewed it.

Walk me through your resume was the first question. I was half way through this when he cut me and said.. "ok so what do you want to do", followed by "why MBA and why now questions". I answered them.

My thoughts were distracted when I half stepped into a puddle of water in the middle of the sidewalk. I avoided the pool and the cleared up snow on the sides. I crossed the 55th street, boarded the bus for the Midway airport and sat near an elderly woman and again focused on the interview.

He was looking at the watch frequently and was precisely timing the interview. Why GSB, How have you demonstrated leadership, team work questions were next. I weaved in my weakness and how I improved it in one of the questions. He caught the weakness part and immediately asked me about my strengths. I answered that immediately.

It was a straight road on the 55th street to the Midway airport with stops in almost every block. It began snowing little bit. The elderly woman said that a major storm is expected tonight. Images of me stuck in the chicago airport during a snowstorm quickly flashed in my mind. I erased it, closed my eyes and entered the GSB again.

What was one question you were expecting me to ask you he said. I asked myself and question and answered it. He was busy taking notes on my resume and asked me a few other questions from my resume. Another quetion was my take on community service. I put a postive spin on this and answered crisply. "Do you have any questions for me" he said and I knew only a few minutes were left. He answered my questions sincerely and crisply, gave me his card and I was gone.

The bus turned left into the midway terminal and I closed my eyes again...

The interviewer smiled sometimes but maintained excellent focus throughout. It felt like he wanted to hear answers to a few questions and was guiding me, cutting my answers short to hear those. It seemed like he was conducting an orchestra. I thought of many points I missed during the interview!

I got down and pulled my luggage through the long walkway to the terminal.

I felt I could have practised more on keeping my answers short and crisp. I dont think I nailed it but didnt do badly too.

I saw snow flakes hitting the aircraft wings. The boeing 737 roared and took off. Will I come back to chicago during the admit weekend? I thought and saw chicago lights fade away in the distance...
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 15:58
good write up....

qualifies as a nice suspense novel...

i had the same feeling in november and in january...

now u have to wait for a month before u get to buy ur one way ticket to chicago...

so the interviewer kept on looking at his watch... some tricks dont die!!!!!!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 16:01
rhyme, it was great meeting you. amazing energy you have... your pre interview briefing was excellent. Good luck in narrowing down your choices this weekend.

svrider, great to meet you. I think I missed you by 5 minutes and took the public transport route.. All the best to you.

poochandi
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 16:03
Your screen name brings back so many childhood memories :-D
poochandi wrote:
poochandi

Kudos for bringing a smile to my face.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 16:04
The interviewer removed his watch and put it on teh table tilted towards him. So he could look at the time without moving a lot.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 16:22
end of April till early June... if you're free for any part of it (especially end of April to early May), let me know. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 17:03
I think this thread is going to become the first 100 + page thread in the history of gmatclub.

(and yes I posted just to nudge it along hahaha).
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 17:55
rhyme wrote:
I think this thread is going to become the first 100 + page thread in the history of gmatclub.
(and yes I posted just to nudge it along hahaha).

Here's to many R2 admits on page 100!
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 18:04
poochandi wrote:
rhyme, it was great meeting you. amazing energy you have... your pre interview briefing was excellent. Good luck in narrowing down your choices this weekend.

svrider, great to meet you. I think I missed you by 5 minutes and took the public transport route.. All the best to you.

poochandi

It was nice meeting you too. Our phone call in the winter garden seemed right out of a movie :)
Btw, great write-up on your interview. My interviewer just looked up at the wall clock while I pretended not to notice. She rarely cracked a smile during the interview except towards the end when I asked her some questions.

sv
p.s. Good luck for your W interview!
CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 19:15
My god if your debrief is this good - how amazing are your essays ??? The best of luck for an admit buddy.
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2008, 20:08
Nice write-up Poochandi. All the best!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2008, 01:03
Hey aviroop, kryzak,

Relatively new joiner + SE Asian here, so if you guys need any help for your trip planning, let me know! I've also done Krabi, Bali and Vietnam (HCM, Hanoi) recently. If I happen to need a break from studying for CFA *sigh*, I can also bring you around my relatively *ahem* small country (if you happen to be visiting!)
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2008, 16:07
hey all, been following this thread for a while.....decided to introduce myself and start contributing

profile:
Female
International
2+ years wall street
Interviewed with GSB round 2
650 GMAT/3.6 GPA from top US liberal arts
strong ECs (i think)
VP
VP
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2008, 18:10
Welcome, Jann and ghgirl! Please post your profile and schools you applied to here:

103-t53748
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2008, 12:16
Umph... Just came back from an alumni interview. As they say "an interview won't make you, but it may break you". Well, I have a feeling mine did not break my chances! 8-) I will provide a more detailed report later, when I gather my thoughts a bit...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2008, 15:08
helg wrote:
Umph... Just came back from an alumni interview. As they say "an interview won't make you, but it may break you". Well, I have a feeling mine did not break my chances! 8-) I will provide a more detailed report later, when I gather my thoughts a bit...

Goooooooooooooooooooooooo helg!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2008, 16:32
Admit Weekend I attendees:

-----------------------------------------

I am running a Friday night bar night event along with several other groups. You will have the chance to sign up for one of these bar night events when you get to campus next Friday. Some of these events will be in south loop, some downtown, some further north etc.

I hope to see you at the one I'm running. I promise a good time and have lined up some other great 1st years to attend as well (including one other gmatclubber who still lurks). There will be blurbs about the various different bars where things are being held in the admit packet you receive. I've restrained myself from including some kind of statement like "shout out to my clubbers!!" in the description, so you'll have to PM me for the name of the bar if you want to be able to identify which group I'm leading.

I really hope to see you there. I'll even buy you a beer.

(Note: If they give you crap about that group being full, just sign up for whatever, it doesn't really matter, you can still come to ours. People end up changing their minds all the time anyway)
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2008, 00:51
Thankee, Rhyme!

OK, here’s my short interview debrief. As some of you might remember, I, being one of the last ones invited to an interview by the GSB (Oh, the joy! :bouncer ), experienced certain problems with scheduling an alumni interview in my city/country. Despite the impressive local alumni base, all the interview slots were taken. The AdCom suggested me two options: another location and phone interview. After consulting with a couple of friends I decided to go for an interview in the capital of a neighboring country. The feedback about the (only) alumni interviewer there was very favorable. I contacted the alumnus and… what happened next can be expressed in three words (two words and an acronym): The GSB Spirit!
The alumnus called me and said that he was impressed with my commitment to travel for an interview. He contacted his classmate living in my city and got his agreement to meet with me. Then, he called the AdCom and got confirmation for the change of an interviewer and location for me! The local alumnus called me as soon as the confirmation was received and scheduled a meeting with me. During the whole process all I had to do was to sit back, wide-eyed, and be amazed at the speed and efficiency of the alumni interactions. :-D

And then, the day came… We agreed to meet in a café, since my interviewer was in the process of changing jobs (next Monday he will start as a CFO for a major IT-company). I arrived half an hour in advance and he arrived precisely at the agreed time. He was dressed casually, while I was in business formal (suit – plain navy blue, shirt – light blue, tie – blue, w/o pattern 8-) ). We made introductions and chit-chatted for several minutes while he was making an order. Than he explained to me how the interview will go – 30 min for a formal part, in English, then he will be available for some time to answer any questions for me.

The formal part was pretty straightforward:
- Walk me through you resume.
- Tell me, what exactly do you do in function X?
- What is one major quality that a manager must have to be successful in function X?
- Your career looks successful, why do you want to interrupt it and go for MBA? (I explained my career changing reasons)
- Why Chicago? Why not Harvard? Wharton? Kellogg? (I gave specific reasons why GSB is a better fit for me than any of those)
- Where else did you apply?
- Do you have a back-up career plan?
- What about your family, do they join you?
- The GSB students traditionally had a nerdy reputation. The school wants to change that, and the way to change it – to admit another type of students. How will you contribute to creation the “fun” image of the GSB student community? (That was the only difficult question for me! :roll: but I think I managed it OK)
- What do you do for fun outside of work? What is the book you currently read? Other books? (He was very well-read and able to discuss literally any book I named. I was impressed. He then asked a specific question about what was written in one of the books I read lately. I answered; he nodded, but did not look completely satisfied. Then I said what was not written in that book and he smiled and nodded approval.)

He set back and announced that the formal part was over. Now we have some time to just talk, he said. I asked him a question:
- So many years after graduation, do you still find use for the academic knowledge you got in the GSB?
He answered and after that our discussion flowed naturally and we talked about various topics varying from housing in Chicago to employment prospects in my current company. He also gave me very practical advice on how to prepare for recruitment in consulting.

The whole meeting lasted over an hour, but I felt relaxed throughout and really enjoyed our conversation. It was clearly a fit interview, without any grilling.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2008, 01:24
helg, looks like you had a great interview. Good work! And oh yeah, GSB rocks!
VP
VP
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2008, 06:46
Great debrief, helg! I hope you will have to decide b/w GSB and Ross at the end of March :-)
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants &nbs [#permalink] 29 Feb 2008, 06:46

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  95   96   97   98   99  ...  135    Next  [ 2681 posts ] 

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: rohan2345

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap