GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 08:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 03:19
Europe86 wrote:
WL here as well! :) at least this supports my self-esteem :)

I see a lot of WL's here, sometimes I feel that Gmat club community is much better than the real group of applicants and it seems that 50% of people gets waitlisted, but I suppose this must be a good achievement in reality...

What do you think the probabilities of being accepted from the WL are? I saw in a website that it is only 4% for Haas :S.
http://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/admissi ... rate-rank/

In my case I suppose my weakness is my Gmat... only 690... However, I have so much work to do that I am not sure I would have time to get better score... Should I go for it?

Thanks a lot mates!

If you are not going to be reapplying or applying anywhere else, then I say go for it.

If you do better, great. If you do worse, then unless you are reapplying or applying anywhere else, no one will see it =)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Re: Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 06:15
WLed w/o interview. This is a good sign for me!

I already decided to re-apply and I am going to do my very best next time!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V49
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 09:59
I see quite a few Booth and Haas (and Anderson) accepted here - how are you all choosing which admit weekend to attend?? All three the same time. I am very torn.
Director
Director
Blowing Up the Business Plan at Berkeley-Haas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 11:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Blowing Up the Business Plan at Berkeley-Haas

As a Berkeley MBA student, Andre Marquis learned how to write a business plan. Some 15 years later, after a series of successful ventures, he was leading the Haas School's Lester Center for Entrepreneurship.

And he realized that MBA entrepreneurship programs hadn't changed with the times. That’s where Lean LaunchPad comes in.

Andre shared his story in a Steve Blank blog post for the Huffington Post, noting that, "As I began my search to increase the relevance of our entrepreneurship curriculum...I found the answer right here at Berkeley, in the Lean LaunchPad class."

Blank's Lean LaunchPad course relayed business themes in a new way. Focusing on practical use and demo, Students learned the art of presenting their opportunities in real world scenarios. Lean LaunchPad focuses on customer development and agile engineering among other concepts. 

"I realized this class was teaching students exactly what it felt like to be an entrepreneur," says Andre. "Now, four years after I arrived at Berkeley-Haas, we don't teach business plan writing in any of our entrepreneurship classes or in any of our dozens of programs and competitions. We use Customer Development and the Lean LaunchPad to train and accelerate teams U.C. Berkeley-wide."

Not only that, Berkeley-Haas has taken this teaching method global, sharing it with international students online. Haas is also part of the U.S. effort to accelerate commercialization of the country's best research spinouts from the National Science Foundation and National Institute of Health.

Read the full story on HuffPo, and get the full story on Berkeley entrepreneurship on the Lester Center site.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 23:16
waitlisted after interview. any other Indians out there in the same boat?

Does anybody really get in after a waitlist?
Intern
Intern
WE: Broadcasting (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2015, 08:24
energyrachel wrote:
I see quite a few Booth and Haas (and Anderson) accepted here - how are you all choosing which admit weekend to attend?? All three the same time. I am very torn.

Yeah........... no idea. Might try for Thur/Fri at one, then Sat at another. (Even though Saturdays are generally the more "fluffy" stuff like seeing housing and doing trips). Either way I intend to visit both campuses and meet with as many people as possible because I'm genuinely on the fence between Booth and Haas.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2015, 09:04
Europe86 wrote:
WL here as well! :) at least this supports my self-esteem :)

I see a lot of WL's here, sometimes I feel that Gmat club community is much better than the real group of applicants and it seems that 50% of people gets waitlisted, but I suppose this must be a good achievement in reality...

What do you think the probabilities of being accepted from the WL are? I saw in a website that it is only 4% for Haas :S.
http://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/admissi ... rate-rank/

In my case I suppose my weakness is my Gmat... only 690... However, I have so much work to do that I am not sure I would have time to get better score... Should I go for it?

Thanks a lot mates!

If you are overwhelmed, I doubt you can score much higher. Therefore, it would be not only waste of money and time but also hurt your profile in some way, revealing bad resource management. They like to observe substantial improvement rather than luck hunting. IMO
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.96
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2015, 15:34
Can any accepted students chime on where you have to go to accept/reject the offer of admission? The admitted students site said to log in to your application and that there would be instructions there, but I haven't seen any. I'd like to withdraw ASAP so I can maybe open up a spot for someone on the waitlist.
Director
Director
Berkeley-Haas Defining Principles: From Launch to Lasting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 10:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Berkeley-Haas Defining Principles: From Launch to Lasting

The Berkeley MBA program maintains a vibe that goes beyond traditional b-school camaraderie, in part due to the school's Defining Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. 

Articulating Berkeley-Haas culture was a challenge that Dean Rich Lyons tackled alongside faculty and students in 2010, a process he calls both challenging and worthwhile.

"I was at lunch recently with some venture capitalists who don't know the school very well, and I handed a culture card to them. They said, 'This describes the kind of people we like to fund.'" 

On the fifth anniversary of the Principles, the school's chief (but far from only) culture evangelist, reflects  in a Haas Now story on both their launch and their lasting value.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 13:36
Cartman4179 wrote:
Can any accepted students chime on where you have to go to accept/reject the offer of admission? The admitted students site said to log in to your
application and that there would be instructions there, but I haven't seen any. I'd like to withdraw ASAP so I can maybe open up a spot for someone on the waitlist.

Not sure about that - I am accepted but my application still says "under review" and I have not received my letter.

Anyone have their status update?

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
EMBA Bonding Over Strategy Case Studies and S’Mores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 11:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: EMBA Bonding Over Strategy Case Studies and S’Mores
What do an executive MBA program and sleep-away camp have in common? At Berkeley-Haas, everything.

For three days every three weeks, our students come to campus for classes and stay together in a nearby hotel. “When we’re in the hotel for block it’s like being at camp with 68 of my best friends,” is how Julia Felts, managing director, The Sourcery, describes her experience. She isn’t alone. We hear from a lot of students that the block scheduling and residency components are two of the most valuable parts of the program.

EMBA students appreciate theblock scheduling because it gives them an opportunity to, as Don Ball, account director at gyro, says, “shift gears away from work and family, to dedicate yourself to your studies and your classmates.”

Sharrifah Al-Saleem, director of Investor Relations at Xoom, agrees. Because she travels for work, “the Evening & Weekend MBA Program would have been a logistical nightmare. The block scheduling of the executive program is much easier to handle,” she says.

Residency accelerates and deepens the bonding that make the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program so valuable while you're in school—and for years to come.

Richard Wilson, director, Theravance, Inc., puts it well: “The three days on campus are sacred time. I’m there to focus on learning and to forge strong bonds with my 68 new best friends. We spend hours working on assignments, but also talking through workplace challenges, hopes and aspirations, and sharing family stories.”

Here’s what Christine Elfalan, executive director of The Bouqs Company, has to say about the end of each block: “As a class, we’ve coined the term ‘blockover.’ It’s the feeling of withdrawing from a group of people who lift your spirits and challenge your intellect—it happens every time.”

Even without the campfire—or the s’mores, sorry—students value the closeness and camaraderie that result from the structure of the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program. Find more of what they have to say about their experiences during block, in class, and with each other in our student profiles.

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 13:40
I am leaning towards going to Booth because of scholarship $$, so I think I might actually attend the Berkeley weekend to see if it blows me away and I just have to go there. I am afraid whichever one I attend I will have fun and then I will want to go there - so it is basically making the decision on a school before the admit weekends.

The events for Berkeley on Saturday look awesome, so I was also considering Thurs/Fri at Booth and Sat at Berkeley - but the flight options make it look pretty tough.

Did you decide?

What are your main pros/cons for Haas vs. Booth? I am VERY undecided.

Driscoll wrote:
energyrachel wrote:

Yeah........... no idea. Might try for Thur/Fri at one, then Sat at another. (Even though Saturdays are generally the more "fluffy" stuff like seeing housing and doing trips). Either way I intend to visit both campuses and meet with as many people as possible because I'm genuinely on the fence between Booth and Haas.
Intern
Intern
WE: Broadcasting (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 08:56
energyrachel wrote:
I am leaning towards going to Booth because of scholarship $$, so I think I might actually attend the Berkeley weekend to see if it blows me away and I just have to go there. I am afraid whichever one I attend I will have fun and then I will want to go there - so it is basically making the decision on a school before the admit weekends.

The events for Berkeley on Saturday look awesome, so I was also considering Thurs/Fri at Booth and Sat at Berkeley - but the flight options make it look pretty tough.

Did you decide?

What are your main pros/cons for Haas vs. Booth? I am VERY undecided.

Driscoll wrote:
energyrachel wrote:

Same concerns about having fun and pre-empting the decision. In the end I've decided to go to a Booth Campus Visit next week - see a class, meet students, get an intro chat from admissions, tour the campus - and then plan to attend the full Days at Haas program. My rationale was twofold: one, if the Booth visit isn't "enough", I still have time to change plans and attend the First Day (or plan a second trip); and two, I am much less familiar with the Bay Area than I am with Chicago, so felt I needed it "explained" to me a bit more.

As for Pros/Cons... I could write a novel. I think the main appeal for Booth is the hardworking and academic reputation, coupled with a city that I already love. But Berkeley's progressive emphasis on culture and humility really speaks to why I wanted to attend B-School in the first place - I liked their welcome video framing the question of leadership in terms of solving problems like clean water and renewable energy. You don't see that stuff put front and center at a lot of Business Schools. How about you?
Director
Director
Many Happy Returns: Long-Term ROI and the Berkeley MBA, Part III  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 10:08
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Many Happy Returns: Long-Term ROI and the Berkeley MBA, Part III
It’s not just about the money. While many articles have focused on the MBA ROI of salary, Haas graduates will tell you there are many other benefits to a degree from a top part-time MBA program.

In this three-part series, we asked several Berkeley-Haas alums how their degrees have affected their personal and professional satisfaction in the longer term. (Here are parts I and II)

Name and degree:
Gregg Chow, MBA 94

Lives in: Greenwich, CT

Works in: New York, NY

Position prior to Haas and position today: “Before coming to Haas to study in the Evening & Weekend MBA Program, I was working for an investment bank in San Francisco in corporate finance. Now I’m a managing director at another investment bank – managing a global sales force.”

How his Berkeley MBA has improved his career: “I studied economics as an undergrad at Cal before going to Haas. Cal teaches students to question the status quo, think beyond the face value, dive deeper into topics, and be an independent thinker. My degree enhanced that, with critical reasoning, innovative thinking and the specific financial and leadership skills to further my career in my chosen field."

"Haas gave me exposure to great minds such as Laura Tyson, Mark Rubinstein, and Rich Lyons, and showed me the connectivity between theory and practice. It set the foundation for the rest of my life.”

"Haas...set the foundation for the rest of my life."

Most rewarding aspects of life today: “I enjoy working in dynamic markets and helping my clients to solve complex issues. I also get a lot of satisfaction training the new hires at our firm, setting them up for long-term success. Haas reinforced my belief that if you follow your passion and study it, you will be successful in life, both extrinsically and intrinsically.”

Other ways in which his Berkeley experiences have impacted his life: "Haas also stresses stewardship and positively impacting society. After losing our home during Hurricane Sandy, my daughter and I launched a charity to help children impacted by natural disasters.  We hope it will make the world a better place down the road. I’m so extremely proud to say I graduated from Haas and Cal.”

Want to set the foundation for the rest of your life?

Director
Director
Strengthening Big Data at Berkeley-Haas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2015, 08:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Strengthening Big Data at Berkeley-Haas

Why Antoine Bruyns, a first-year student in our Full-time MBA Program, left a growing startup to come to Berkeley-Haas, why he thinks Silicon Valley is like Italy during the Renaissance, and how new clubs and courses are giving increased strength to data science (AKA "Big Data") at Berkeley-Haas—all in this post onHaas Achieves.

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2015, 12:21
R1 WL applicant here. To the recent R2 admits: when is the deposit due?
Director
Director
Putting Part-time MBA Academics to Work  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2015, 15:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Putting Part-time MBA Academics to Work

Being a good teacher is more than a popularity contest, but knowing which professors and courses consistently garner student praise can factor into class selection. Their popularity can relate to teaching style (students cite profs who are "collaborative," "energetic," "entertaining," and content that is"sticky," "inspirational," "dynamic"). For Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA students eager to test new knowledge out on the job, it can also be a matter of how just useful the academics prove to be.

It’s helped me effectively lead others out of their comfort zones.

Case in point: In the Fall 2014 semester, students rated Leading People among the top three core courses. (The others were Microeconomics and Marketing)  For Leslie Dineen, head of nonprofit marketing at Google, Professor Ming Leung boosted her “understanding of leadership, organizational behavior, and building great teams”—all skills she used when interviewing internally for an opportunity to support Google’s employment branding initiative.

The same class gave Arvind Ravishunkar, corporate strategy manager at Fairchild Semiconductor, a new framework for analyzing a company’s management model. “The framework gave me a methodology to think about the problem, “ he says, and, “the real-life implementation showed me the pros and cons of the framework. I was able to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the business unit and make recommendations.”

Outside the core, but among the required courses, Applied Innovation is a perennial favorite. Jason Merideth, brand manager, Nestlé USA, calls it “probably the most tangible example of innovative teaching at Haas. It’s also a class that I’ve used a lot on the job. I’ve used the frameworks to run ideation and brainstorming meetings. It’s helped me effectively lead others out of their comfort zones.”

Berkeley-Haas doesn't take a one-size-fits-all approach.

When it comes to electives, in this part-time MBA program, it’s the sheer volume of choices that impresses students and gives them the opportunity to tailor study to meet their goals. "You’re in control. Berkeley-Haas doesn’t take a one-size-fits-all approach,” says Nikole Thomas, retail business consultant, Chevron.

For his part Navy Veteran Brian Lee, associate with Deutsche Bank, notes that elective courses, taught by “some of the most respected industry professionals,” are essential for students who want to reposition their careers.

Distinguished, intellectually curious, approachable, and open-minded are just a few of the ways students describe the Berkeley-Haas faculty. But one of the compliments we appreciate the most is that they “go beyond themselves. They do more than teach, they connect us with their networks, give advice, and encourage us to think big,” as Jack Song, principal of Speak! Communications, says.

We invite you to get to know a bit more about some of the passionate and dedicated professors you’ll encounter in the Berkeley-Haas Evening & Weekend MBA Program.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 22:39
Any recent admits interested in looking for a place in SF? Still a bit early, but will start looking as the summer approaches.
Director
Director
Patrick Awuah and the Global Impact of the Berkeley MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 16:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Patrick Awuah and the Global Impact of the Berkeley MBA

In the Berkeley MBA Program, student projects can have lasting global impact. This was the case when work in the International Business Development (IBD) course fed into to creation of a transformational university in Africa.

With an international student population of 43 percent and and an abundance of global and experientiallearning opportunities, it's no surprise that our full-time MBA program helped shape a leader like Patrick Awuah, MBA 99, who co-founded Ashesi University in his home country of Ghana. His university's mission: To train and educate the next generation of leaders for Africa.

In 2015 Awuah received one of UC Berkeley's highest honors, the Elise and Walter A. Haas International Award for service to his home country. He was also named one of the world's 50- greatest leaders by Fortune—along with Pope Francis, Bill and Melinda Gates, and Mark Zuckerberg.

Awuah grew up in Ghana, leaving home in 1985 with $50 and a full scholarship to Swarthmore College. He launched his career at Microsoft and, upon the birth of his first child, was inspired to make a difference in Africa and came up with the idea for Ashesi.

He came to the Berkeley MBA Program to translate his vision into a successful and self-sustaining enterprise. While at Haas, he proposed startup elements of Ashesi as a project for the International Business Development course. He formed a team of fellow students that included Nina Marini, who became his co-founder and served as vice president of Ashesi until 2005.

They founded Ashes University in 2002, after graduating from Berkeley-Haas. Since its founding, the university has built a 100-acre hillside campus and graduated hundreds of students, who go on to work for international firms as well as for Ghanaian enterprises, nonprofits and government, with nearly all of them staying on the continent to contribute their talents to Africa's future.

"We’re trying to train leaders of exceptional integrity, who can lead a renaissance in Africa,” Awuah told Berkeley-Haas magazine in 2012. 

Ashesi University continues to be a client for the International Business Development (IBD) course, along with companies, nonprofits, and NGOs from around the world. Take a look at the potential opportunities for global impact and get a glimpse of the IBD experience these student videos.

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '18 (A)
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 13:34
Hello guys, do any of you received an interview invite for round 3?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2015, 13:34

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46    Next  [ 920 posts ] 

Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: variantguy