Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V56
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2019 Intake) Graduating Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Kudos
Congrats on completing your interview. For those of you that get admitted, you will probably receive a call from the admissions team one day before the official decision is posted on the portal. Good luck!

Regarding the brand of MSx, everyone who enters this program should know very well that this isn’t an MBA program and you will not get an MBA. After having worked for 10 to 15 years, many people don’t need an MBA. In fact, I hire MBA graduates for my department. Around 40% of Sloan Fellows have already got an advanced degree (or two) before joining Stanford GSB. You can take a look at the profiles of Sloan Fellows ’19 to get a good sense of why an MBA wouldn’t make much sense to them.

I find this article explain adequately why MSx is a breed apart. Think about it this way, for example: if you are currently one level below the C-suite level and are earning around, let’s say $250,000 a year, would you spend $190,000 (if you go to MSx as a single) plus your opportunity cost ($250,000) to earn an MBA whose average starting salary is around $150,000? More importantly, would that MBA help you position yourself for the C-suite level in a big corporate in a couple of years upon graduation? This is why the MSx program distinguishes itself from the MBA program. I agree, though, that the MSx program isn’t as widely known as the MBA program, but that’s a separate issue and that doesn’t mean people entering the MSx program want/need to be associated with the MBA program.

For those of you who are applying to the MSx program, my advice is that you should do your research and know exactly why you apply to the MSx program and how it will help your career. This is, I believe, key to your success.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2019 Intake) Graduating Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Kudos
Londoner2019 wrote:
Hello all,
just had my interview. The interviewer was lovely, very conversational and informal. Also very transparent.

Now we wait until March 28 - seems like forever.

Also one thing we discussed was the brand of MSx vs an MBA and I am a bit concerned about this. Not sure what you guys feel.
I only spent 3 weeks (consulting doesn't allow for much) for my test prep and just applied to HBS, MIT and Stanford. I really should have done more research on the MIT programme.

As someone already pointed out, their Sloan Fellows programme actually confers an MBA degree - I think that's a huge plus. But I didn't apply to their Sloan Fellows programme and regretting this now.

Having said that - Stanford is more of a fit for me in terms of personality, career aspirations and the general ethos of the school. They said they are not thinking about branding the MSx as an MBA anytime soon....
So anyone coming in needs to be well aware of this.

Hello everyone, I have been a secret viewer of this forum for months. Your question made me take the plunge and engage :)

I had my interview last week and am waiting to hear back. I specifically did not apply to MIT because it is called an MBA. I have 13 years’ experience and I do not want to be mistaken for an MBA grad. My experience is different and the programme is different.

Londoner - I do really hope we get in. It would be great to have a fellow Brit in the programme! I am from the UK but currently live in Zurich.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Negust wrote:
Londoner2019 wrote:
Hello all,
just had my interview. The interviewer was lovely, very conversational and informal. Also very transparent.

Now we wait until March 28 - seems like forever.

Also one thing we discussed was the brand of MSx vs an MBA and I am a bit concerned about this. Not sure what you guys feel.
I only spent 3 weeks (consulting doesn't allow for much) for my test prep and just applied to HBS, MIT and Stanford. I really should have done more research on the MIT programme.

As someone already pointed out, their Sloan Fellows programme actually confers an MBA degree - I think that's a huge plus. But I didn't apply to their Sloan Fellows programme and regretting this now.

Having said that - Stanford is more of a fit for me in terms of personality, career aspirations and the general ethos of the school. They said they are not thinking about branding the MSx as an MBA anytime soon....
So anyone coming in needs to be well aware of this.

Hello everyone, I have been a secret viewer of this forum for months. Your question made me take the plunge and engage :)

I had my interview last week and am waiting to hear back. I specifically did not apply to MIT because it is called an MBA. I have 13 years’ experience and I do not want to be mistaken for an MBA grad. My experience is different and the programme is different.

Londoner - I do really hope we get in. It would be great to have a fellow Brit in the programme! I am from the UK but currently live in Zurich.

Obviously you havent done your research because MBA is not the only option at MIT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is my 5 cent on the topic MSx vs. MIT Sloan Fellows

Stanford is amazing but MSx is not Stanford MBA. Junior professors teach MSx students. For electives, only handful of places are reserved for MSx students.

Stanford is great if you want to get into PE/VC. MIT programme is a lot more balanced. Fellows programme is taught by senior faculty at Sloan and they live teaching in this programme.

At MIT you have huge number of electives across MIT. You also have the option to cross register at Harvard. Another huge benefit.

At MIT you can choose either an MBA or MS. I dont think having an MBA from Sloan Fellows is a disadvantage. This is a brand on its own. It is like telling me EMBA is jot worth it because they all have lots of experience.

You need to go to MIT and see what Fellows prigramme is about. They put this at the core of the schools strategy.

Again, stanford brand is amazing and whoever choose to go there will jot regret it. It is not what I am saying...

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
It looks like this topic has been taken to a very different direction. I don't think we should go down this path. It's important to correct some information you put up there, though:

1. Courses in the MSx program are taught by the same tenured faculty members who teach in the MBA and PhD programs. You can find more information about this on the MSx program website if you don't have a chance to talk directly to the MSx office.
2. You can also find a list of faculty members who teach in the MSx program on its website. You'll realize that it's not factual that "junior professors teach MSx students"
3. 50% of the MSx curriculum are electives. There's no way "only handful places are reserved for MSx students"

jackjones: I wish you all the best with your application to the SFMBA program at MIT. It's undoubtedly a great program. I would have probably applied too if I'd met the requirement of 10 years of working experience
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
This is specifically why I did not want to engage and I also don’t think we should go down this path.

The MIT Sloan programme is a terrific programme, as is the LBS programme. The calibre of people in all three programmes is exceptional. I wish all of us who are thinking of embarking on this journey (in all the three schools), the very best.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Again, guys I am not questioning the strength of the prigramme my observations are made through contacts with alumni, program directors etc.

I met Mike Hochleutner in London and he did say that the MSx programme is not as rigorous as the MBA programme. If one day it becomes, then they will award an MBa degree. This is the reason why They award master of science degree. I am not making things up.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Some of the top electives have only handful of available places for MSx students. Priority is given to MBa students. Reach out to the school and ask the question and you will see.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
jackjones wrote:
For electives, only handful of places are reserved for MSx students.

Hi everyone, I have talked to 6 current and past MSx Fellows and above statement was their #1 complaint. There are very few spots reserved for MSx students in popular classes, so registration becomes more like a lottery. MSx students I talked to were able to get in to roughly 50% of the classes they hoped for.

If you are fortunate to be admitted in the MSx program, please put a group together and talk to Mike Hochleutner about giving more "golden tickets" to MSx students each semester. MBA students can take the same class next year if they miss it this year, but MSx have only one year to make it happen. So having two golden tickets per semester would be very helpful for MSx experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
GSBSloan wrote:
1. Courses in the MSx program are taught by the same tenured faculty members who teach in the MBA and PhD programs. You can find more information about this on the MSx program website if you don't have a chance to talk directly to the MSx office.

I asked Allison Rouse about this in an on-campus information session and seems like the website statement is no longer true. He mentioned that many classes are taught by visiting industry faculty or non-tenured faculty as well.

Please note that I don't see this as a disadvantage in any way because some of my friends whom I consider best-and-brightest are working as non-tenured faculty in universities.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
jm6097 wrote:
If any other R3 applicants get notified of interview would be great to know. I guess we hear over the next week.

I think the interview decision would be out tonight or tomorrow?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GPA: 4
Send PM
The people who have just been interviewed or already admitted: do you know if in the case of an extremely urgent decision that needs to be made this week could one ask for an early decision? Allison said the decisions are going to be posted on March 28. However, I need to make a rather significant decision here at work which can only be made if I know of the outcome of the admission process at GSB. :?

Do you think gently asking for an earlier decision would be viewed unfavorably? Also - Allison dropped me his email on the zoom thingy but when the session ended it disappeared. Could someone pleaseeeee drop me a PM if you have it? I might brave asking him. Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
I wish more people would update the MSx decision tracker :)))

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Londoner2019 wrote:
Do you think gently asking for an earlier decision would be viewed unfavorably? Also - Allison dropped me his email on the zoom thingy but when the session ended it disappeared. Could someone pleaseeeee drop me a PM if you have it? I might brave asking him. Thanks!!

I don't think it would be considered a negative. You can reach out to Allison and discuss your situation, however I would recommend doing so over phone rather than over email.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hadamard wrote:
Londoner2019 wrote:

I don't think it would be considered a negative. You can reach out to Allison and discuss your situation, however I would recommend doing so over phone rather than over email.

Hey thanks for the response. Unfortunately I really need to know and got a message from an admitted candidate who said the adcom is quite nice and accommodating so I emailed this morning. They just came back saying they only release early decision if one has another offer on the table.

Originally posted by Londoner2019 on 21 Mar 2019, 08:59.
Last edited by Londoner2019 on 21 Mar 2019, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
Kudos
Londoner2019 wrote:
Hadamard wrote:
Londoner2019 wrote:

Hey thanks for the response. Unfortunately I really need to know and got a message from an admitted candidate who said the adcom is quite nice and accommodating so I emailed this morning. They just came back saying they only release early decision if one has another offer on the table.

To be honest - this response alone has undone any and every good thing I believed about the school.
Should I still try and call?

I agree you should contact the person who interviewed you in phone and ask for a gentle hint. Seems odd actually.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
jm6097 wrote:
Seems odd actually.

Odd is - Me asking them or them responding the way they did...?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
Ok guys let’s simmer down.

londoner - I can see why they don’t give an early decision. They are trying to be fair to everyone. Plus we don’t know where they are in their process. The best you can do is explain your case and accept the response. Hopefully it works out for you. Fingers crossed :)

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  17   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts