Last visit was: 16 May 2024, 09:00 It is currently 16 May 2024, 09:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11684 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: Can you do the GMAT standing up? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
GhostA

Prometrics uses dividers between the computer test terminals and I don't think they will allow you to stand in the main testing room. I would recommend you to contact them and ask for access to the private room. I see no reason why you couldn't stand in that room, although it would be preferable if they could set up a high table to place the computer monitor at your eye level. Yes, they are a pain when it comes to accommodations but that is mostly for students requesting extended time, this seems like a reasonable request to me.

Dabral
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Send PM
Kudos
I definitely agree with Rich and Dabral that there should be some sort of accommodation for this. Just make sure that you check with GMAC too as they may need to make a note on your exam registration and this may take a few weeks (depending on how quickly they move).

I would make sure to talk this over with GMAC as you may need to make a note on your profile and send a doctor's note before you can even register for the exam. I know for other disabilities, they recommend that you send all notices before registration in order to ensure the proper accommodations.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Rich and Dabral, I'll get in touch with the testing center and see how they respond. If they can set me up in a private room, that'd be great for my concentration and making sure I don't distract other test takers.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just wanted to update you guys on this.

I contacted the pearson exam centre and posted my questions to them. Surprisingly, I was told that I can not even bring my own back support cushion. They said they have one there and I'd have to use that. This is erroneous information as GMAC allows you to carry a support cushion with you. However, there was no point arguing over the phone so I let it be.

I'm gonna print out the list of materials that you can bring with you to use during the GMAT and carry my own support cushion.

For the second question, about doing the test standing up/standing to stretch. I was told that they might be able to set me up in private room but that request has to come through GMAC and I have to go through them first.

Consequently, I contacted GMAC and I got this reply:

"Thank you for contacting Pearson VUE. You may certainly bring a pillow for back support on the date of your exam. However you will not be permitted to stand and stretch during your exam while in the testing room. This may be a distraction for other exam candidates.

For this matter we can only recommend submitting an Accommodations Request. You may view further details on submitting an Accommodations Request via the link below:

Register as a Test Taker with Disabilities
If you have any further questions or inquiries, please contact us again."

They want me to register as a taker with disabilities and given the onerous amount of paperwork required and given that I don't have much time left till the D-day, I think I'm going to have to suck it up and sit through the GMAT. I'd be loading up on pain pills if my sciatica is triggered and just hope they don't make me drowsy. :|
GMAT Club Bot