Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Career Switcher help [#permalink]
Thanks for the reply! I would very much like to switch fields and not work in Music. A career has a performer leads to a lot of transferable skills - we basically have to act as our own boards/strategy teams/etc as we make decisions about our futures and where to drive our careers. I have lots of international experience, having lived in Europe for about 4 years.

I do not have a background in business, so that's why I had looked at a straight mba rather than emba.

As for mba goals, focusing in strategy, bizdev, or entrepreneurship sounds good to me. These could lead to a lot of options post graduation, no? As I said, I'd like to leave the music industry for now.

Thanks for any and all help.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Music2mba wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I would very much like to switch fields and not work in Music. A career has a performer leads to a lot of transferable skills - we basically have to act as our own boards/strategy teams/etc as we make decisions about our futures and where to drive our careers. I have lots of international experience, having lived in Europe for about 4 years.

I do not have a background in business, so that's why I had looked at a straight mba rather than emba.

As for mba goals, focusing in strategy, bizdev, or entrepreneurship sounds good to me. These could lead to a lot of options post graduation, no? As I said, I'd like to leave the music industry for now.

Thanks for any and all help.

Posted from my mobile device

We'd need to know the details of your work experience and your future career goals to evaluate further. However, you should have a shot if you can demonstrate an ability to manage and lead, and as I mentioned earlier, some business savvy.

When you say " we have to act as our own boards/strategy teams" - I hope you are talking about managing teams and not your individual career.

Regarding the goals, you will have to delve deeper into exactly what you will do - strategy or biz dev or entrepreneurship- and why.

While suggesting eMBA I did think you might want an immersive MBA experience because of your nontraditional background. Feel free to share more info about your work. We have worked with a musician who is transitioning to another industry after MBA, and so should be able to give you some valuable advice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
We'd need to know the details of your work experience and your future career goals to evaluate further. However, you should have a shot if you can demonstrate an ability to manage and lead, and as I mentioned earlier, some business savvy.

When you say " we have to act as our own boards/strategy teams" - I hope you are talking about managing teams and not your individual career.

Regarding the goals, you will have to delve deeper into exactly what you will do - strategy or biz dev or entrepreneurship- and why.

While suggesting eMBA I did think you might want an immersive MBA experience because of your nontraditional background. Feel free to share more info about your work. We have worked with a musician who is transitioning to another industry after MBA, and so should be able to give you some valuable advice.

Thanks for your reply!

I was not talking about managing teams, but my individual career - as such opportunities unfortunately do not exist in the classical music world. Most of my life was traveling from country to country to perform. Because I was in demand, my entire career has been spent as such with little down time to do much else. In addition, complex math makes sense to me quite easily because of the complex modern music I usually performed - though I know the two are not interchangeable in many eyes they have much in common.

That said, I also worked as a professor at a national university for a year in which I managed my own studio of musicians, lead projects at the school, organized concerts, and attended conferences as a representative of the university. Further, in my school years I was both president of the university choir (in charge of organizing trips and concerts) and president and treasurer of a smaller singing group.

I'm not sure if any of that would help with my application, but it's what I have.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Music2mba I will say you are on the razor's edge in terms of age: do it now!

One program that is a good fit if you are interested in consulting; however do the homework on the ROI, I have only just recently found out about it
https://www.marshall.usc.edu/programs/m ... /ibear-mba

Beyond that, might want to focus on European schools as they are more accepting towards older applicants.
Think IMD, HEC, INSEAD. Maybe LBS. Will need to demonstrate how you have, in your career, demonstrated teamwork, leadership and problem solving to be successful IMO. They are open to career diversity if you can demonstrate these things, and show you can do the math.

700 is OK, but particularly interested in quant score, you want that to be at least 70%
If quant is not high do MBA Math program (mbamath.com) It will present you as someone who can do the work.)

Music2mba wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new here, so if I'm posting in the wrong place, let me know.

I have spent my career in the classical music performance field. I've been very successful throughout the years, traveled and performed all over the world, taught lessons both privately and as a Professor at a university, and have enjoyed my time as a performer through the 10+ years I have done it. Now, I am looking to pivot fields into something more traditional and would like to apply to business school.

About me - I am 35, have taken practice GMATs and while I want/need to work on my Q score - I am around 700+.
Schools - Went to a top 25 university - GPA - 3.451 - Honors in Music. 2 Grad schools - Masters GPA 3.70 at Hopkins, and Diploma (unfinished because I began to travel and perform) at Yale 3.90 GPA.

I am very solid in Verbal on GMAT and my essays probably won't be an issue, but I wonder if I will be completely locked out of most schools because of my strange working past and age.

Because of my age, I hope to be able to get a quick ROI at whatever school I attend, and would very much like to go to a top school - but I don't know if that is off the table.

Many thanks for any help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the info and the thought about Marshall - however I do hope to go to a program significantly higher ranked than that.

70% on quant is 49, it seems. That is what you think is necessary for such a program?

Many thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach

Music2mba wrote:
Thanks for the info and the thought about Marshall - however I do hope to go to a program significantly higher ranked than that.

70% on quant is 49, it seems. That is what you think is necessary for such a program?

Many thanks!

Also, today I took my first CAT on GMAT Official prep and got 45Q 45V - 730. Will a score like this hurt my chances? Many thanks for any and all help!

Best wishes.
GMAT Club Bot