Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Re: Certifications in Application Forms [#permalink]
Well..... not sure about the Toastmasters stuff. Again, you can include it, and we don't know how rigorous of a 'certification' process that is, but on the surface we're guessing maybe not so much. Typically what adds value in an app are the hardcore certifications like the CFA or Chartered Accountant.

Conversely, those energy industry certifications (again provided they're significant in terms of what you had to do to get them) could be worthwhile to include if you're going to be focusing on energy in your future goals.

We can't be definitive on such questions without knowing the details of the profile - there's lots of different ways that these might be important to include, or important to exclude.

But we're not feeling it on the Toastmasters. Perhaps it doesn't hurt to cite it, but we'd be more inclined to put that on the resume and skip it for the application.

The goal for these text fields is not to fill them to overflowing. Use discretion in terms of which pieces truly add value and distinction. A 'certification' should show that you accomplished something. Maybe those Toastmasters ones do, we honestly don't know, but an uneducated assumption is that they're not quite weighty enough to merit a place in this section of the app.

EssaySnark
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Actually,the Toastmasters certificate do take time and effort on your part and given the case-study schools that can look like a +ve point(Improved Public Speaking). I am currently on the path of Advanced Communicator and by the time the 2nd round interview invites go out(hope I get one of them!) I would have completed the Advanced Communicator Bronze manual.

Moreover,I actually started a Toastmasters club in my city benefiting the company professionals and the college students in the city. - Maybe a leadership story(Reason I wanted to cite Toastmaster as a certification)

Also,by my profile you can see that I am a reapplicant to some schools that I got dinged from last year so in the reapplicant essay(How you have improved and What else you have done ? ) I can write about improvement in my French language and Public Speaking Skills .(Plus the fact that my paper was selected for a major article in JPT (a major oil & gas journal)).

And the French certificate is equivalent to a MA in French in India so I guess that would carry some weight.
GMAT Club Bot