GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 13:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Chances. 750 (49Q 44V), 3.75, boutique strategy consultant

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Chances. 750 (49Q 44V), 3.75, boutique strategy consultant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 09:17
Hello everyone,

Was hoping to get a profile review. I have been working only for a year but am looking to strengthen my profile as much as possible. I plan on matriculating with either 3 or 4 years of experience in 2020 or 2021.

BACKGROUND

-Work Experience: 1 year boutique strategy consulting in San Francisco. Generalist who has worked across industries in marketing, sales, pricing. One promotion under the belt, top reviews.

-Extracurriculars: 1.) Volunteer once a week before work at a food bank 2.) Founded an organization to support a sports team I was in in undergrad. We host events, publish newsletters, and raise money for the team ($11.4k in our first year). 3.) Varsity athlete in college for a less popular sport (squash, tennis, swimming, etc) 4.) Fundraiser for my school with above average fundraising numbers (top fundraiser for my class)

-Undergrad: Liberal Arts University in New England (Wesleyan, Middlebury, BC)

-Race/Nationality/Sex: Caucasian, Male

STATS

-GMAT: 750 (49Q, 44V, 8IR, 6AWA)
-Undergrad GPA: 3.75, Magna Cum Laude

MBA INFO

-Goal: MBB.I really love Consulting but can feel limited working for a boutique firm. Everyone here is really smart, comes from great backgrounds, and we do amazing work. However, the work is all focused on marketing, sales, revenue. I don't want to get pigeon-holed and want to consult in other strategic aspects to running a business. To do this, I feel I need an MBA to broaden my business background outside of what I can learn from my niche consulting firm.

I know this is a lot of schools. I would likely apply to two to three reaches, two targets, one safety. I haven't narrowed it down yet since I am applying in a couple years.

-Reach: HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, MIT, Booth
-Target: Columbia, Tuck, Yale SOM, Ross
-Safety: Johnson, Fuqua, Darden, Stern

What are my strengths, weaknesses, how can I best improve my chances from where they are now?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Chances. 750 (49Q 44V), 3.75, boutique strategy consultant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 06:26
A few thoughts for you mbathrowaway1995:
  1. The academic and GMAT profile looks solid and right up the high benchmark most of your target schools would expect.
  2. For MBBs, brand matters a lot. In that context, your undergrad as well as current firm's brand may not push the case well enough. There might also be some prejudices when it comes to bigger consulting firms vs boutique ones that you'd have to factor in.
  3. While college level ECs sound good, the impact quotient of your current efforts is not clear. Push really hard on that front. Maybe not all you are doing but at least one that is clearly differentiated.
  4. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. You may want to check this.

In summary, think of taking off in a bigger way in the years you have at hand.

Hope this helps some.

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Chances. 750 (49Q 44V), 3.75, boutique strategy consultant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 03:40
mbathrowaway1995 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Was hoping to get a profile review. I have been working only for a year but am looking to strengthen my profile as much as possible. I plan on matriculating with either 3 or 4 years of experience in 2020 or 2021.

BACKGROUND

-Work Experience: 1 year boutique strategy consulting in San Francisco. Generalist who has worked across industries in marketing, sales, pricing. One promotion under the belt, top reviews.

-Extracurriculars: 1.) Volunteer once a week before work at a food bank 2.) Founded an organization to support a sports team I was in in undergrad. We host events, publish newsletters, and raise money for the team ($11.4k in our first year). 3.) Varsity athlete in college for a less popular sport (squash, tennis, swimming, etc) 4.) Fundraiser for my school with above average fundraising numbers (top fundraiser for my class)

-Undergrad: Liberal Arts University in New England (Wesleyan, Middlebury, BC)

-Race/Nationality/Sex: Caucasian, Male

STATS

-GMAT: 750 (49Q, 44V, 8IR, 6AWA)
-Undergrad GPA: 3.75, Magna Cum Laude

MBA INFO

-Goal: MBB.I really love Consulting but can feel limited working for a boutique firm. Everyone here is really smart, comes from great backgrounds, and we do amazing work. However, the work is all focused on marketing, sales, revenue. I don't want to get pigeon-holed and want to consult in other strategic aspects to running a business. To do this, I feel I need an MBA to broaden my business background outside of what I can learn from my niche consulting firm.

I know this is a lot of schools. I would likely apply to two to three reaches, two targets, one safety. I haven't narrowed it down yet since I am applying in a couple years.

-Reach: HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, MIT, Booth
-Target: Columbia, Tuck, Yale SOM, Ross
-Safety: Johnson, Fuqua, Darden, Stern

What are my strengths, weaknesses, how can I best improve my chances from where they are now?

Posted from my mobile device

mbathrowaway1995 I agree with everything Manish said. Just want to restate that it’s extremely important you start working on your extracurriculars. And really helping the Admissions Committee see you as a full rounded individual..it’s not just about work. That won't get the job done. I.e. HBS, “habit of leadership.”

Take advantage of the size of your current firm: be a change agent, work cross departmentally, wear several different hats. OR you might consider going to a more branded and slightly larger consultancy where you might have a more limited role, however it will have more brand cachet….BUT make sure to, at the same time, position yourself to be promoted to the board of directors in a community organization or something similar.

The great thing about the community involvement is that it’s an opportunity for younger graduates cut their teeth in terms of leadership, which is not always possible from an associate (entry level) position in a larger company.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Chances. 750 (49Q 44V), 3.75, boutique strategy consultant &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jul 2018, 03:40

Chances. 750 (49Q 44V), 3.75, boutique strategy consultant

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap