Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Fortuna Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Chances for Harvard or Other Top 5 [#permalink]
Imopening,

From what you provided, your profile looks great and it seems like you would be very competitive in applying to Top 5 programs. Moreover, you should be able to leverage your rare professional contacts into a few significant letters of recommendation to really highlight to programs how you are differentiated from other applicants. We may be telling you what you already know, but throughout your applications, it is going to be critical to show how you are exceptional rather than just saying that you are--schools want evidence to discern between candidates. Very unique experiences from your professional life shining through in the letters of recommendation will be one more way that you can show this.

We invite you to check out our blog on Poets & Quants (https://poetsandquants.com/2015/11/05/how-wysegyde-is-hacking-the-price-of-admissions-consulting/), and if you have any questions or would like an initial consultation, please contact us through our website (https://www.wysegyde.com) or by email directly (contact@wysegyde.com). The initial consultation is free and our services are only $59/hour after that. And since you may be looking to apply in the January round, it's important for you to know that our consultants will still be meeting clients' needs with those timelines for the foreseeable future, with services ranging from strategic counseling and school selection to essay review and interview prep.

We look forward to speaking with you soon. And in any case, good luck!

- WyseGyde
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Chances for Harvard or Other Top 5 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
imopening wrote:
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance for evaluating my profile. I always thought I'd do a MBA but now I am nearing the latter stages (age 27, 7 years work experience) of my early-career, if that makes sense. I would like to know if Harvard (other top 5) in particular is a realistic chance? A top MBA will be a great opportunity but also a trade-off in short term momentum.

Background: Australian Born Chinese (parents are Malaysian Chinese). Lived 2/3rd of life in Australia and rest in Malaysia. MBA to be self funded.

Work Experience: Last 3.5 Years for Australia's Asset Manager of the Year in the Sydney investment team (part of global US based firm of 1000 associates). I am part of a multi-award winning investment team, highly regarded in the industry. I have also worked in an investment bank as a fixed income trader. I am part of a core team that runs multi-billiion dollar portfolios and we invest in bonds, equities, property, currencies etc.

Academics: 750 GMAT, 3.85 / 4.00 GPA, full-scholarship from one of Australia's top unis, topped Finance faculty all three years (unprecedented)

Other: Completed Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) - one of youngest at age 22 to pass all 3 exams

Extra-curricular: Organise Asia-Pacific development programme for younger associates in firm (40 associates) for last 3 years. Recently involved in Asia related projects including business expansion to China and Korea. I have direct clients in Singapore and travel regularly to region. These are extracurricular because these are responsibilities beyond a typical investment analyst role. Normally business strategy is reserved for senior investment members or sales associates. I have been invited to join directors development program next year as an exception (i.e. not a director). I travel frequently with regional CEO and have access to global CEO (US based). My partner and I also run a modestly successful startup. I do not have any significant volunteer or non for profit experience.

Rationale for MBA: To finesse leadership and strategy skills to become an obvious choice for CEO at my current firm or similar financial institution. I believe strategy is critical to building businesses and a top MBA will provide greater support for my corporate ambitions.

I can provide more details if required.

Thanks!

Dude,
Nice profile! :)

Just write an awesome essay and come over to HBS. :)
(But I guess you should also be applying to some other schools too, haha)
Best,
Jon
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Chances for Harvard or Other Top 5 [#permalink]