Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [19]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 298
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Charles Darwin argued that plant and animal species were evolved slowl [#permalink]
Kudos
Originally I chose (E), but through my own analysis, I found that (B) is better.

(A) Species evolve themselves rather than "were evolved". Also, after "instead of", we can only use noun or noun phrase (instead of a verb such as created)
(B) The only issue I held against B is that "rather" in "but rather“ is extraneous. "Not ... But ..." is preferred. This objection is rather weak. Read on.
(C) Species evolve themselves rather than "were evolved".
(D) Species evolve themselves rather than "were evolved".
(E) At first, I think this version is okay. It is not perfect, though, because "instantaneous creation" is not as active as "created instantaneously" in B.

Now, between B and E, I voted for E at first. But then, I notice a bigger issue in E: the "slowly" in "evolved slowly" does not make sense in "...evolved slowly through ... instantaneous creation". That should rule out E altogether.

So, I have choose "B".
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [3]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: Charles Darwin argued that plant and animal species were evolved slowl [#permalink]
Kudos
B is the best choice imo.

Meaning: Charles Darwin made two arguments (points). His points were: 1. that plant and animal species were not created instantaneously and 2. plants and animal species were slowly evolved through random mutation and natural selection.

A) Charles Darwin argued that plant and animal species were evolved slowly through random mutation and natural selection instead of created instantaneously.
In A, instead of created is problematic. Instead of as a compound preposition should only be followed by a noun and not a past participle created. This is enough basis to eliminate A.

B) Charles Darwin argued that plant and animal species were not created instantaneously but rather evolved slowly through random mutation and natural selection.
Keep B. B uses the structure not X but rather Y to present the argument made by Charles Darwin. X is created instantaneously while Y is evolved slowly through random mutation and natural selection. Both X and Y are participial phrases, hence parallel.

C) Charles Darwin argued that plant and animal species were slowly evolved through random mutation and natural selection instead of instantaneous creation.
In C, instead of is rightly followed by a noun creation. There is however a problem with the logical parallelism between evolved and creation. The parallelism marker in this instance is the verb were. So, we have plant and animal species were X: slowly evolved through random mutation and natural selection and Y: instantaneous creation. Clearly, X and Y are not parallel. Eliminate C.

D) Charles Darwin argued that species of plants and animals, rather than being created instantaneously, were slowly evolved through random mutation and natural selection.
D presents a key part of Darwin's argument as a non-essential modifier for species of plants and animals, and this is not right. In addition, what role is being playing in the sentence? Being seems to modify created and, by so doing, distorts the intended meaning. Eliminate D.

E) Charles Darwin argued that species of plants and animals [were] evolved slowly through random mutation and natural selection rather than instantaneous creation.
Just as in C, there is a parallelism problem in E between evolved and creation. Besides, the linking verb were is missing in E. Eliminate E.

B is left as the best answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
zhanbo wrote:
Originally I chose (E), but through my own analysis, I found that (B) is better.

(A) Species evolve themselves rather than "were evolved". Also, after "instead of", we can only use noun or noun phrase (instead of a verb such as created)
(B) The only issue I held against B is that "rather" in "but rather“ is extraneous. "Not ... But ..." is preferred. This objection is rather weak. Read on.
(C) Species evolve themselves rather than "were evolved".
(D) Species evolve themselves rather than "were evolved".
(E) At first, I think this version is okay. It is not perfect, though, because "instantaneous creation" is not as active as "created instantaneously" in B.

Now, between B and E, I voted for E at first. But then, I notice a bigger issue in E: the "slowly" in "evolved slowly" does not make sense in "...evolved slowly through ... instantaneous creation". That should rule out E altogether.

So, I have choose "B".

Mate, I went with "E" too.

Later I realized that there is parallelism issue with "E", evolved is a "modifier" and "instantaneous creation" is a noun.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Charles Darwin argued that plant and animal species were evolved slowly through random mutation and natural selection instead of created instantaneously.

A) plant and animal species were evolved slowly through random mutation and natural selection instead of created instantaneously "were evolved" is redundant - we do not require two verbs here. Just "evolved" is sufficient. Eliminate.

B) plant and animal species were not created instantaneously but rather evolved slowly through random mutation and natural selection Correct. There is no redundancy and correct parallelism is maintained between "evolved" and "created".

C) plant and animal species were slowly evolved through random mutation and natural selection instead of instantaneous creation "were...evolved" is redundant - we do not require two verbs here. Just "evolved" is sufficient. Eliminate.

D) species of plants and animals, rather than being created instantaneously, were slowly evolved through random mutation and natural selection "were...evolved" is redundant - we do not require two verbs here. Just "evolved" is sufficient. Eliminate.

E) species of plants and animals evolved slowly through random mutation and natural selection rather than instantaneous creation There is a parallelism issue between "evolved" and "creation. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
There are plenty of great explanations in the thread, so I will just add my two cents about instead of / rather.

As discussed here, "rather" or "rather than" can be used with nouns/adjectives/verbs, while "instead of" can only be used with nouns or noun phrases. For instance,

"I prefer drinking coffee rather than milk" - correct.
"I prefer drinking coffee instead of milk" - correct.
"I walk rather than drive" - correct.
"I walk instead of drive" - incorrect.

Hope the above helps.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts