Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [99]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [38]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called [#permalink]
Kudos
rakesh22 wrote:
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities.

(A) including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities
(B) that included child-care facilities, and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(C) with child-care facilities included and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(D) that included child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities
(E) to include child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities included

D. llism=> for x and y.

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called "for urban apartment houses that included child-care facilities" and "for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities"
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: IEEE
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [8]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Healthcare
 Q47  V31
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 2.5 yrs - Medicaid
WE 2: 2 yrs - Higher Ed
Send PM
Re: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called [#permalink]
Kudos
"called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities"
This means child-care facilities are a type of apartment houses. This obviously is wrong
Hence IMO D is correct
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [5]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey mundasingh123:

Thanks for the invitation to reply! Good question - I think the best way to look at it is that "called for" is a verb...well, actually "called" is the verb. So the noun that follows "called for" is the object:

The president called for change.
The new management called for a strict dress code.

Because "called for" is akin to a command or request, it's pretty common to have a to-verb in there because the request is usually for the noun to do something:

The president called for North Korea to end its nuclear program.
The new administration called for employees to wear ties and jackets to client meetings.

Another common way to set off two verbs is to use the word "that":

The president called for a North Korea that obeyed UN regulations.
The new administration called for employees that were well-dressed.

With "that", at least in these past-tense cases, it's more of a passive action than an active one (which is where "to _____" would come in). Either form is okay as long as the verb is logical, etc.

On this question, you're right that E would be correct if it were also parallel ("called for urban apartments to include childcare and for suburban housing to have...").

I hope that helps...
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
Kudos
Brian thanks for Clarifying the issues regarding called for.
It would be extremely helpful if you could clarify the usage of the present participle with the preposition in the following sentence.
1)I heard about Peter winnning the Marathon
2)I heard about Peter's winning the marathon.
Could you please clarify whether the structure of sentence 2 is correct.I have created a gerund by using the possessive form of Peter.I find it puzzling that Sentence 1 doesnt have a gerund and still the sentence is correct.Is it an idiomatic expression or can it be explain grammatically?
Please help.
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey mundasingh123:

Interesting question - and, honestly, I don't think that this is anything they'll test specifically so I'm not too worried about it either way. I've reluctantly learned what "participle" and "gerund" mean over the years, but I could still answer these questions correct 99% of the time without knowing those terms/concepts 5-6 years ago because I focused on the bigger-picture errors that they explicitly do test.

In this case, I actually think that the second one is wrong and the first one is right. "Peter's winning the marathon" gives you two nouns in a row which you really can't have without a transition. You'd probably have to say that "I heard about Peter's winning OF the marathon", which is also really awkward and probably wrong, too, but you need a way to separate those two nouns.

Sentence 1...you know, if I had a choice between:

I heard about Peter winning the marathon

and

I heard that Peter won the marathon

I'd pick #2 every time. In that comparison, the first may actually be wrong because the modifier "winning the marathon" could refer to both "I" and "Peter". Did I hear about him while I was winning the marathon? Or did I hear that he won the marathon? If I had a choice that left this potential ambiguity out of the mix (like my proposed #2), I'd definitely take #2.

Now, hopefully that explanation doesn't confuse more than it clarifies, but even if it does, I think it brings up an important point about GMAT sentence correction: even the editors at the New York Times struggle with some of this nitty-gritty grammar stuff, and usually if they get to that point they'll just rewrite the sentence entirely. Simply put, it's impossible for a pre-MBA student to become perfect at "all things grammar". The best you can do is:

1) Do the things that you can get good at - the major error categories like S-V agreement, Modifiers, etc. - extremely well, and look for opportunities to use those first.

2) When you're down to a few remaining choices and it seems as though you can't use the major categories, then look at Logical Meaning and Clarity of Meaning - does the sentence make logical sense? Is there room for ambiguity and/or confusion? More often than not thinking logically is much more effective than is trying to break down sentences on a purely grammatical basis. I'd argue that using the words "gerund" or "participle" in your thought process on the verbal section is akin to multiplying a series of 3-digit numbers on the quant section - you could do it, but you're probably working too hard and overlooking an easier way (logic on the verbal; number properties on the quant).

I hope that helps...
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey mundasingh123:

Interesting question - and, honestly, I don't think that this is anything they'll test specifically so I'm not too worried about it either way. I've reluctantly learned what "participle" and "gerund" mean over the years, but I could still answer these questions correct 99% of the time without knowing those terms/concepts 5-6 years ago because I focused on the bigger-picture errors that they explicitly do test.

In this case, I actually think that the second one is wrong and the first one is right. "Peter's winning the marathon" gives you two nouns in a row which you really can't have without a transition. You'd probably have to say that "I heard about Peter's winning OF the marathon", which is also really awkward and probably wrong, too, but you need a way to separate those two nouns.

Sentence 1...you know, if I had a choice between:

I heard about Peter winning the marathon

and

I heard that Peter won the marathon

I'd pick #2 every time. In that comparison, the first may actually be wrong because the modifier "winning the marathon" could refer to both "I" and "Peter". Did I hear about him while I was winning the marathon? Or did I hear that he won the marathon? If I had a choice that left this potential ambiguity out of the mix (like my proposed #2), I'd definitely take #2.

Now, hopefully that explanation doesn't confuse more than it clarifies, but even if it does, I think it brings up an important point about GMAT sentence correction: even the editors at the New York Times struggle with some of this nitty-gritty grammar stuff, and usually if they get to that point they'll just rewrite the sentence entirely. Simply put, it's impossible for a pre-MBA student to become perfect at "all things grammar". The best you can do is:

1) Do the things that you can get good at - the major error categories like S-V agreement, Modifiers, etc. - extremely well, and look for opportunities to use those first.

2) When you're down to a few remaining choices and it seems as though you can't use the major categories, then look at Logical Meaning and Clarity of Meaning - does the sentence make logical sense? Is there room for ambiguity and/or confusion? More often than not thinking logically is much more effective than is trying to break down sentences on a purely grammatical basis. I'd argue that using the words "gerund" or "participle" in your thought process on the verbal section is akin to multiplying a series of 3-digit numbers on the quant section - you could do it, but you're probably working too hard and overlooking an easier way (logic on the verbal; number properties on the quant).

I hope that helps...

Hi Brian, I am concentrating on the areas that you mentioned but every now and then i face a deadend when i come across a 700 level (or anything that is tough for me ) question on the gmat club/BTG. Most of the time i am not able to bracket such questions under any of the sections that you highlighted.
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I hear you...I'd just challenge you to look for ways to consider questions along these more-strategic lines and you'll get a much, much higher return-on-investment of your study time and energy that way. There IS a way to solve all valid GMAT SC questions using the big-picture error categories that you see everyone talk about on here and/or Logic/Clarity strategy. They may not admit it publicly for political reasons, but the people behind the GMAT laugh at what a mess the GRE is as a test, mainly because it focuses too much on more-or-less arbitrary "knowledge" and not enough on "reasoning". You can think your way through the GMAT...which is why it's a good test! How often in your career have you had to or been able to memorize your way out of a business situation?

So...challenge yourself to find bigger-picture ways to solve these problems. And ask for those reasons on the forums here. It may be frustrating at first, but you'll start to see that there's definite strategy to Sentence Correction.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [6]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Send PM
Kudos