Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20719 [342]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [62]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [27]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19747 [15]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Re: Chinese public buildings erected under a construction code of the Sung [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
hazelnut wrote:
Chinese public buildings erected under a construction code of the Sung dynasty have withstood earthquakes well because the white cedar used has four times the tensile strength of steel and the timber frame, incorporating many joints and few nails, is flexible.

(A) used has four times the tensile strength of steel and the timber frame, incorporating
(B) used in them has four times the tensile strength of steel has and the timber frame, incorporating
(C) that was used in them has four times the tensile strength steel has, and the timber frame, incorporating
(D) that was used has four times as much tensile strength as steel, and the timber frame incorporates
(E) that was used has four times the tensile strength steel does, and the timber frame incorporates

SC73561.01

Official Explanation

Logical predication; Grammatical construction

The sentence presents two reasons the Chinese buildings built under the code described have withstood earthquakes: the white cedar used in them has four times the tensile strength of steel, and the timber frame, which incorporates many joints and few nails, is flexible. The sentence is correct as worded because it clearly specifies these reasons.

A. Correct. As stated above, this version clearly conveys the intended meaning.

B. The construction has four times the tensile strength of steel has is idiomatically incorrect. The correct construction is has four times the tensile strength of steel.

C. The comma after has breaks up the sentence in such a way that only the great tensile strength of white cedar is offered as an explanation of the buildings' ability to withstand earthquakes, rather than both white cedar's tensile strength and the timber frame's flexibility. The statement regarding the timber frame's flexibility is mentioned simply as a separate fact not falling under the scope of because.

D. This choice presents a similar problem to the one in choice C: the comma after steel breaks up the sentence in such a way that only the great tensile strength of white cedar is offered as an explanation of the buildings' ability to withstand earthquakes, rather than both white cedar's tensile strength and the timber frame's flexibility. Furthermore, the timber frame incorporates many joints and few nails, is flexible is ungrammatical.

E. The construction has four times the tensile strength steel does is incorrect. The correct construction is has four times the tensile strength of steel. Furthermore, the comma after does creates the same problem that the initial commas in choices C and D cause, suggesting that the only factor allowing the buildings to withstand the earthquakes is the white cedar's tensile strength. Finally, the sentence ends with the same ungrammatical construction as in choice D: the timber frame incorporates many joints and few nails, is flexible.

The correct answer is A.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Chinese public buildings erected under a construction code of the Sung [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatt1476 wrote:
C. The comma after has breaks up the sentence in such a way that only the great tensile strength of white cedar is offered as an explanation of the buildings' ability to withstand earthquakes, rather than both white cedar's tensile strength and the timber frame's flexibility. The statement regarding the timber frame's flexibility is mentioned simply as a separate fact not falling under the scope of because.

So, usage of comma is pretty much the only thing that wreaks meaning-related havoc in C.

To avoid this kind of a meaning related issue, I would have expected an additional because in the correct answer choice:

.....because the white cedar... and because the timber frame..

Interesting! Thanks for posting OE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATNinja MentorTutoring EducationAisle AjiteshArun

Can this question be done on the basis of parallelism solely ? is my understanding stated below is correct ?

Chinese public buildings erected under a construction code of the Sung dynasty have withstood earthquakes well because the white cedar used has four times the tensile strength of steel and the timber frame, incorporating many joints and few nails, is flexible.

Quote:
(A) used has four times the tensile strength of steel and the timber frame, incorporating

Both look parallel, seem okay. Hold.

Quote:
(B) used in them has four times the tensile strength of steel has and the timber frame, incorporating

Not parallel because of [Noun + verb] "the tensile strength of steel has and the timber frame [Noun]

Quote:
(C) that was used in them has four times the tensile strength steel has, and the timber frame, incorporating

the timber frame is not parallel with The tensile strength steel, also "tensile strength steel" seems wrong, because tensile strength is made an adjective.

Quote:
(D) that was used has four times as much tensile strength as steel, and the timber frame incorporates

"the timber frame incorporates" is not structurally parallel with "The White cedar", neither it seems meant to be parallel with "The white cedar"

Quote:
(E) that was used has four times the tensile strength steel does, and the timber frame incorporates

Tensile strength steel is wrong.
X has four times tensile strength does - does should have been has ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:
GMATNinja MentorTutoring EducationAisle AjiteshArun

Can this question be done on the basis of parallelism solely ? is my understanding stated below is correct ?

Quote:

Both look parallel, seem okay. Hold.

Quote:

Not parallel because of [Noun + verb] "the tensile strength of steel has and the timber frame [Noun]

Quote:

the timber frame is not parallel with The tensile strength steel, also "tensile strength steel" seems wrong, because tensile strength is made an adjective.

Quote:

"the timber frame incorporates" is not structurally parallel with "The White cedar", neither it seems meant to be parallel with "The white cedar"

Quote:

Tensile strength steel is wrong.
X has four times tensile strength does - does should have been has ?

Hello, hero_with_1000_faces. I am not sure whether some of the talking points you have highlighted above would fall under the label of parallelism, not that that fundamentally changes the weight of those points. For example, in choice (A), the timber frame is simply the subject of a second independent clause—the timber frame... is flexible, whereas the tensile strength of steel is the latter part of a comparison within a dependent clause that exists in the first independent clause—buildings... have withstood earthquakes. I would say that, grammatically speaking, has and as much... as in the other choices draw attention to incorrect idioms. The idiom (for whatever reason history has handed down to us) for a comparison of tensile strength is the tensile strength of, and nothing else. Choices (C), (D), and (E) all fail immediately because they are lacking the correct idiom. Although (B) preserves the of, it includes a redundant has when of steel already marks the end of the comparison.

I would like to point out that there are often several ways in which you can eliminate answers, even in tougher questions, as long as more than, say, a single word is underlined. Here, you can quickly eliminate (D) and (E) for creating a second independent clause that is grammatically flawed: the timber frame incorporates many joints and few nails, is flexible. Of the remaining options, both (B) and (C) include this element of overkill in in them that actually muddles the meaning. The white cedar used in earthquakes? It is less clear than just saying used. I bring up these points to caution that an overly simplified approach may lead to more errors than a holistic approach.

Thank you for bringing the question to my attention. (It took me 1.07 to solve, and I felt certain about (A).)

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Andrew/ MentorTutoring

Your approach is very slick, I am going to make some notes on this question in my errorlog.

Quote:
I would say that, grammatically speaking, has and as much... as in the other choices draw attention to incorrect idioms. The idiom (for whatever reason history has handed down to us) for a comparison of tensile strength is the tensile strength of, and nothing else. Choices (C), (D), and (E) all fail immediately because they are lacking the correct idiom. Although (B) preserves the of, it includes a redundant has when of steel already marks the end of the comparison.

However, I have got some more question after reading your answer on the structure.

Quote:
Hello, hero_with_1000_faces. I am not sure whether some of the talking points you have highlighted above would fall under the label of parallelism, not that that fundamentally changes the weight of those points. For example, in choice (A), the timber frame is simply the subject of a second independent clause—the timber frame... is flexible, whereas the tensile strength of steel is the latter part of a comparison within a dependent clause that exists in the first independent clause—buildings... have withstood earthquakes.

I am not sure if I understand the underlined part above, but ill try to present my view on this answer choice.

Quote:
the timber frame is simply the subject of a second independent clause

If the above is true than according to me the following changes should exits in the correct answer choice.

There should be a comma before "and the timber frame"; I understand comma is a stylistic matter, however I think the comma should exist. correct me please.
Also, IMO, incorporating many joints and few nails, modifies the previous clause "the white cedar used has four times the tensile strength of steel "
If "the timber frame is flexible" is second independent clause, that means the modifier above, will modify "The Timber", however there should not be a comma, before "incorporating many joints and few nails".

Ill try to construct the sentence to make it clear:

Chinese public buildings erected under a construction code of the Sung dynasty have withstood earthquakes well because the white cedar used has four times the tensile strength of steel,and the timber frame incorporating many joints and few nails, is flexible.

In this case, the used becomes a "-ed" modifier, and is flexible is a verb for "The white cedar".

also, when second part is made an independent clause, the meaning is not clear to me as it sounds like:
Quote:
Buildings erected have withstood earthquakes because The white cedar used has something and the timber frame is flexible

shouldn't it be "the timber frame used is flexible", in case we want to make it independent.

IMO, what sentence is trying to say is:

the white cedar has x times the strength of both steel and timber frame.

perhaps, "The tensile strength of steel and the timber frame" is parallel ?

Thank you for responding. Hope I am clear in expressing my thoughts.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [3]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Andrew/ MentorTutoring

Your approach is very slick, I am going to make some notes on this question in my errorlog.

Quote:
I would say that, grammatically speaking, has and as much... as in the other choices draw attention to incorrect idioms. The idiom (for whatever reason history has handed down to us) for a comparison of tensile strength is the tensile strength of, and nothing else. Choices (C), (D), and (E) all fail immediately because they are lacking the correct idiom. Although (B) preserves the of, it includes a redundant has when of steel already marks the end of the comparison.

However, I have got some more question after reading your answer on the structure.

Quote:
Hello, hero_with_1000_faces. I am not sure whether some of the talking points you have highlighted above would fall under the label of parallelism, not that that fundamentally changes the weight of those points. For example, in choice (A), the timber frame is simply the subject of a second independent clause—the timber frame... is flexible, whereas the tensile strength of steel is the latter part of a comparison within a dependent clause that exists in the first independent clause—buildings... have withstood earthquakes.

I am not sure if I understand the underlined part above, but ill try to present my view on this answer choice.

Quote:
the timber frame is simply the subject of a second independent clause

If the above is true than according to me the following changes should exits in the correct answer choice.

There should be a comma before "and the timber frame"; I understand comma is a stylistic matter, however I think the comma should exist. correct me please.
Also, IMO, incorporating many joints and few nails, modifies the previous clause "the white cedar used has four times the tensile strength of steel "
If "the timber frame is flexible" is second independent clause, that means the modifier above, will modify "The Timber", however there should not be a comma, before "incorporating many joints and few nails".

Ill try to construct the sentence to make it clear:

Chinese public buildings erected under a construction code of the Sung dynasty have withstood earthquakes well because the white cedar used has four times the tensile strength of steel,and the timber frame incorporating many joints and few nails, is flexible.

In this case, the used becomes a "-ed" modifier, and is flexible is a verb for "The white cedar".

also, when second part is made an independent clause, the meaning is not clear to me as it sounds like:
Quote:
Buildings erected have withstood earthquakes because The white cedar used has something and the timber frame is flexible

shouldn't it be "the timber frame used is flexible", in case we want to make it independent.

IMO, what sentence is trying to say is:

the white cedar has x times the strength of both steel and timber frame.

perhaps, "The tensile strength of steel and the timber frame" is parallel ?

Thank you for responding. Hope I am clear in expressing my thoughts.

Hello, hero_with_1000_faces. That marks the first time my approach has been called slick (which I take to mean smooth or streamlined). I like strange expressions that make me think. Thank you for the compliment. I think I see what you are getting at above, and I will say, first off, that I can now appreciate how the timber frame... may be acting as the second parallel item within the because clause. The shell of the sentence would then be the following:

buildings... have withstood earthquakes... because [clause 1] and [clause 2].

The dependent because clause acts as an adverb to explain why these buildings have withstood earthquakes well, and the lack of a comma before and is a tip-off that the above is likely the intended meaning. I would still say that incorporating many joints and few nails refers to the frame, rather than to white cedar. That is, a frame made of white cedar, by incorporating many joints and few nails, would be flexible, but a white cedar board is just a white cedar board, and a building is not constructed with a single piece of cedar.

In the end, I guess this goes to show that even if, as I had, you interpret the sentence in a different way from the meaning that may be intended, you can still walk away with the correct answer and feel certain of it. I appreciate your pursuit of a deeper knowledge with this one.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks andrew/MentorTutoring for the response.
I am really enjoying our geeky (intellectual) discussion. I agree with you, the answer can be found using different approaches. I try to rely on the foundational elements such as parallelism etc as taught by my tutor.

Further, in light our discussion, do you think the parallelism approach used by me in my 1st post, is sound and reliable ? thanks a lot for your support and appreciation.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks andrew/MentorTutoring for the response.
I am really enjoying our geeky (intellectual) discussion. I agree with you, the answer can be found using different approaches. I try to rely on the foundational elements such as parallelism etc as taught by my tutor.

Further, in light our discussion, do you think the parallelism approach used by me in my 1st post, is sound and reliable ? thanks a lot for your support and appreciation.

Hello again, hero_with_1000_faces. Although I see the question as one centered on an idiomatic construct rather than on parallel elements, I am quite flexible (like the frame) in allowing for different perspectives on how to approach SC questions in general. If you want to consider parallel elements, though, in choice (A), then I would say you should be marking the white cedar and the timber frame. Otherwise, you would be comparing the tensile strength of white cedar to that of steel and a timber frame (made of the cedar itself), and the latter comparison does not make sense.

If you find a compelling, logic-based reason to cast aside answer choices, those that you can disprove for one reason or another (and not just rely on the way they sound), then however you choose to think of the flaws is fine, in my book. A correct answer is a correct answer, plain and simple.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 212
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Kudos
For those who are confused by a)

I disagree with those who say that a) is confusing because it makes it sound as though "White cedar has 4x the strength of steel and the timber frame". --> This would be ignoring the parallelism

Read it like this:
" [...]because the white cedar used has four times the tensile strength of steel and the timber frame"

When read like this. You cleary see the parallelism after the subordinating conjunction "because"

Then the next parallelism needed is between he verb "is", which is at the end of the sentence and is NOT underlined, and the underlined verb, which should also appear in the present tense.

I am assuming said Chinese infrastructure is still standing, which is what the sentence seems to intend as a meaning
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1732 [8]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
Kudos