GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Chiranjeev Singh was my key to success in SC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
Chiranjeev Singh was my key to success in SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Aug 2018, 01:46
Hi,

I decided to write this topic as it might help people struggling with SC.

I was aiming for a 700 or above score to get into a top European b-school and Verbal was my strongest section but SC was preventing to achieve scores above 35.

I had over percentile 80%in RC and CR but was struggling with SC.

To prepare to for SC I read all Manhattan prep books, watched Manhattan prep and Veritas online classes and did all SC exercises of OG 2017. The result was disappointing! A meager 30% percentile in SC!!

I tried reviewing and did some more exercises from official tests. Same result 30% percentile in SC!

At that point I started losing hope of achieving 700 or above. I thought "'Maybe that's it! That's the limit of my capabilities!''

Nevertheless, before throwing in the towel I decided to have one more chance but this time with the guidance of a professional. After lots of research on the internet I found Chiranjeev Singh aka CJ.

CJ had an interesting way of addressing the GMAT. He recommended me a completely different way of studying that in the beginning I thought to be too time consuming but that proved to be extremely efficient.

After a handful of tutoring classes via Skype and hours of study and doing SC exercises in detail I did the GMAT and achieved a fantastic 40 in Verbal. This might not sound like much for many but for me was a 5 point increase in 6 to 8 weeks!

Without CJ I would probably have kept doing thousands of exercises learning very little from each one of them! CJ made me re-think my way of studying and that paid off big time.

I would strongly recommend CJ as he is a fantastic verbal tutor. Without his help I would not have been able to achieve my 700.

Good study and the best of the luck for all of you guys that are still fighting against the GMAT.

All the best,

Andre

Originally posted by acosta on 27 Aug 2018, 17:11.
Last edited by acosta on 28 Aug 2018, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Chiranjeev Singh was my key to success in SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 19:38
Hi acosta

Thanks for sharing your debrief.

Quote:
CJ had an interesting way of addressing the GMAT. He recommended me a completely different way of studying that in the beginning I though to be too time consuming but that proved to be extremely efficient.

I am assuming understanding the meaning of the original sentence helped you immensely.
  • Did you scan answer choices for splits when short of time or in a panic state?
  • Could you share additional tips for CR and RC and if you followed any timing strategy for verbal?
  • What was rough split for SC, CR and RC?

Wishing you all the best for your apps!

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 12:05
adkikani wrote:
Hi acosta

Thanks for sharing your debrief.

Quote:
CJ had an interesting way of addressing the GMAT. He recommended me a completely different way of studying that in the beginning I though to be too time consuming but that proved to be extremely efficient.

I am assuming understanding the meaning of the original sentence helped you immensely.
  • Did you scan answer choices for splits when short of time or in a panic state?
  • Could you share additional tips for CR and RC and if you followed any timing strategy for verbal?
  • What was rough split for SC, CR and RC?

Wishing you all the best for your apps!

Hi Adkikani,

Thanks

Answering your questions:
1) I am assuming understanding the meaning of the original sentence helped you immensely.
You are 100% correct. I don't think business schools are looking for MBA candidates who can easily perform mechanical tasks such as finding splits. In my view they are looking for people who can actually understand a complex sentence and eventually make it clearer.

2) Did you scan answer choices for splits when short of time or in a panic state?
Fortunately I had a very good time management and I am lucky enough to never be in panic if I know what I am doing I cannot really answer this question. However, splits were a good help but not the key thing for me. I learned that the key to SC is understanding very well all kinds of tricks that the GMAT throws at you to distort meaning your to create a grammatically incorrect sentence. If you know these problems very well then it gets easier to eliminate. There is not point of identifying a split if then we do not know which one is correct. Moreover, sometimes there are splits that just rephrase the sentence differently but correctly. However, if you find a error and then a split containing that error than you win the jackpot.

3) Could you share additional tips for CR and RC
For CR I used Manhattan prep classes and books. I found their online CR classes extremely helpful. I really liked Manhattan prep for CR because they categorised the CR questions in different types and that knowing what kind of questions were you facing was extremely helpful to know what should you be looking for in the answers. Then mastering elimination is key. In CR you had better not choose the right question but rather eliminate 4 wrong answers!

For RC I never really studied much as I always found it relatively easy and did not have much time left as I struggle quite a lot with Quant. The only thing that I did was reading 2 passages every night before going to bed =) I think this helped me quite a lot improving my timing and accuracy in RC. There are documents with hundreds of passeages in the GMAT club (thanks GMAT club).

4) Did you followed any timing strategy for verbal?
Yes a used the "Yellow pad technique" developed by Stacey Koprince. I found it really nice and effective. You will be able to check this technique using the following link: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... nt-part-3/

5) What was rough split for SC, CR and RC?
Sorry but I cannot remember. I think I got 3 passages though.

I hope I was able to help you a bit.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 20:16
Top Contributor
acosta wrote:
Hi,

I decided to write this topic as it might help people struggling with SC.

I was aiming for a 700 or above score to get into a top European b-school and Verbal was my strongest section but SC was preventing to achieve scores above 35.

I had over percentile 80%in RC and CR but was struggling with SC.

To prepare to for SC I read all Manhattan prep books, watched Manhattan prep and Veritas online classes and did all SC exercises of OG 2017. The result was disappointing! A meager 30% percentile in SC!!

I tried reviewing and did some more exercises from official tests. Same result 30% percentile in SC!

At that point I started losing hope of achieving 700 or above. I thought "'Maybe that's it! That's the limit of my capabilities!''

Nevertheless, before throwing in the towel I decided to have one more chance but this time with the guidance of a professional. After lots of research on the internet I found Chiranjeev Singh aka CJ.

CJ had an interesting way of addressing the GMAT. He recommended me a completely different way of studying that in the beginning I thought to be too time consuming but that proved to be extremely efficient.

After a handful of tutoring classes via Skype and hours of study and doing SC exercises in detail I did the GMAT and achieved a fantastic 40 in Verbal. This might not sound like much for many but for me was a 5 point increase in 6 to 8 weeks!

Without CJ I would probably have kept doing thousands of exercises learning very little from each one of them! CJ made me re-think my way of studying and that paid off big time.

I would strongly recommend CJ as he is a fantastic verbal tutor. Without his help I would not have been able to achieve my 700.

Good study and the best of the luck for all of you guys that are still fighting against the GMAT.

All the best,

Andre

Hi Andre,

Many congratulations on hitting the 700-mark! It was a pleasure teaching such a diligent and sincere person as you! I hope what we learned in the sessions helps you beyond GMAT too!

- CJ

My articles:
My experience with GMAT (Score 780) and My analysis of my ESR
Three pillars of a successful GMAT strategy
Critical Reasoning and The Life of a GMAT Student
The 'Although' Misconception
Dear GMAT Aspirant, You need not swim against the tide

Re: Chiranjeev Singh was my key to success in SC &nbs [#permalink] 04 Sep 2018, 20:16

Chiranjeev Singh was my key to success in SC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap