Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [271]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [44]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [25]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [8]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans water [#permalink]
Kudos
+1 for (C)
This is a tricky question.
A. Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by
the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute
particles of dust.PASSIVE INITIALLY BUT ACTIVE IN THE LATER PART-inappropriate
B. Clouds form by the Sun’s warmth evaporating the water in the oceans, which rises
high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.WHICH IS MODIFYING OCEAN-incorrect
C. Warmed by the Sun, ocean water evaporates, rises high into the atmosphere, and
condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form clouds.-Correct
D. The water in the oceans evaporates, warmed by the Sun, rises high into the
atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust, which
forms clouds."WARMED BY THE SUN"IS MODIFYING "EVAPORATES"-incorrect
E. Ocean water, warmed by the Sun, evaporates and rises high into the atmosphere,
which then condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form as
clouds."WHICH" IS MODIFYING ATMOSPHERE-incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [7]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
mymba99 wrote:
Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun
and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

A. Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by
the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute
particles of dust.
B. Clouds form by the Sun’s warmth evaporating the water in the oceans, which rises
high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.
C. Warmed by the Sun, ocean water evaporates, rises high into the atmosphere, and
condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form clouds.
D. The water in the oceans evaporates, warmed by the Sun, rises high into the
atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust, which
forms clouds.
E. Ocean water, warmed by the Sun, evaporates and rises high into the atmosphere,
which then condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form as
clouds.

For similar questions with number of events, We need to cross check the events for parallelism as well as chronological sequence. This will help to eliminate couple of answer choices. Among remaining option choices, wrong ones will have errors such as Subject Verb agreement, Misplaced Modifier error.
Now let's see specifically in this question.

A. Warmed by the Sun and condensing in tiny droplets are not parallel. Ocean water is more correct way to use than Ocean's water.
B. Sun's warmth evaporating is awkward. Ocean water is more correct than verbose usage of water in the oceans. which has unclear referent. Events are not parallel at all.
C. evaporates.. rises high.., condenses..is absolutely correct parallel construction. Sequence of events also correct before formation of clouds.
D. warmed by the Sun is misplaced modifier(This is done correctly in 'E'). It should be placed after water. Formation of cloud is the major event. Usage of which looks awkward as it is trying make sense of sentence with last few words modified by which.
E. evaporates, rises , which then condenses are not parallel. form into cloud is more correct than form as clouds in terms of meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [4]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

Issue: Construction

Analysis:
1. The sentence talks about the various steps that ocean water goes through to form clouds. The correct options should connect these logically and chronologically for proper meaning.

A. Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

B. Clouds form by the Sun’s warmth evaporating the water in the oceans, which rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.
- "Clouds form by the Sun’s warmth" structure does not strongly establish the causality between "formation of clouds" and "condensation of droplets on minute particles of dust".
- "which" incorrectly modifies "ocean", creating non-sensical sentence

C. Warmed by the Sun, ocean water evaporates, rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form clouds.

D. The water in the oceans evaporates, warmed by the Sun, rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust, which forms clouds.
- "which" modifies "dust" creating non-sensical sentence.

E. Ocean water, warmed by the Sun, evaporates and rises high into the atmosphere, which then condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form as clouds.
- "which" modifies "atmosphere" creating non-sensical sentence.
- "as" is unnecessary

Answer: C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
Send PM
Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans water [#permalink]
(A) Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

Here I thought that "condensing" could modify the clause "is warmed by the Sun and rises" . Here, the doer also makes sense with the verb. However, later I realised that the "condensing " could modify the clause "Clouds are formed" too. But in that case, meaning would change.

Because of absence of "that" after "and" , there is an ambiguity as to which clause "condensing" modify! :?

I get caught up with such sentences. Could you please help me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
WE:Research (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
GMATNinja
(B) Clouds form by the Sun’s warmth evaporating the water in the oceans, which rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.
I remember you said that 'which' and 'that' can also jump backwards and violate the touch rule in case a prepositional phrase is involved. In this case, can we see this as, ' which' refers back to water instead of the oceans, as in the oceans is a prepositional phrase?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [4]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ishan261288 wrote:
GMATNinja
(B) Clouds form by the Sun’s warmth evaporating the water in the oceans, which rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.
I remember you said that 'which' and 'that' can also jump backwards and violate the touch rule in case a prepositional phrase is involved. In this case, can we see this as, ' which' refers back to water instead of the oceans, as in the oceans is a prepositional phrase?

Good question! You're right that "which" and "that" don't have to touch what they modify, as long as they're reasonably close. So I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable getting rid of (B) because of the "which." The real issue with (B) is its meaning/clarity.

First, the phrase, "clouds form by the sun's warmth" is at best confusing. Does it mean that the clouds are in the vicinity of the sun's warmth when they form? Worse, the phrase, "sun's warmth evaporating" kind of makes it sound as though the sun's warmth is itself evaporating! That makes no sense. If you reread the sentence a few times, can you figure out what the writer intended? Sure. But compared to (C), which makes the meaning crystal clear, (B) is an inferior option.

The takeaway: "which" can be separated from what it modifies, as long as it's reasonably close, but sentences that are unclear/confusing/illogical are definitely wrong.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
When I read option C I read it like this :-

Oceans water evaporates,
oceans water rises high in the atmosphere and
oceans water condenses

And hence to me it didn't make sense for the ocean's water itself to rise high in the atmosphere. Isn't that an argument or I am missing something?

Kindly advise.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

gb8 wrote:
Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

(A) Clouds are formed from the evaporation of the oceans’ water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere, condensing in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust.

(C) Warmed by the Sun, ocean water evaporates, rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form clouds.

(D) The water in the oceans evaporates, warmed by the Sun, rises high into the atmosphere, and condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust, which forms clouds.

(E) Ocean water, warmed by the Sun, evaporates and rises high into the atmosphere, which then condenses in tiny droplets on minute particles of dust to form as clouds.

Choice A: Option A clearly suffers from a marked lack of parallelism; the noun "evaporation" is not parallel to the verb "warmed", and neither of them is parallel to the verb "rises" as “rises” is in the present tense while "warmed" is in the past tense. These words are also not parallel to "condensing", as it is in the present continuous form. Thus, Option A is incorrect.

Choice B: Option B suffers from a modifier error; in this sentence, the word "which" has been placed such that it modifies "ocean". This incorrect modification implies that the ocean, rather than its waters, rises into the atmosphere. This implication alters the meaning of the sentence; thus, Option B is incorrect.

Choice C: Option C maintains proper parallelism throughout the sentence, as seen in the verbs "evaporates", "rises", and "condenses". This answer choice also has no modifier errors and conveys the intended meaning of the sentence, concisely. Thus, Option C is correct.

Choice D: Option D also suffers from a modifier error. In this answer choice, the placement of the phrase "warmed by the sun" causes it to modify "evaporates"; this modification leads to an illogical meaning, as a process cannot be warmed. Thus, Option D is incorrect.

Choice E: Option E also suffers from a modifier error. In this answer choice, the placement of the phrase "which then condenses..." causes it to modify "atmosphere", implying that the atmosphere, rather than the water, is condensing into clouds. Thus, Option E is incorrect.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

It is also worth noting here that Option A appears to have a subtle error in meaning, as well. In Option A the construction of the phrase "water that is warmed by the Sun and rises high into the atmosphere" seems to imply that the water rises into the atmosphere before it evaporates.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]

Send PM
Expert Reply
shameekv1989 wrote:

Oceans water evaporates,
oceans water condenses

And hence to me it didn't make sense for the ocean's water itself to rise high in the atmosphere. Isn't that an argument or I am missing something?

Kindly advise.

It wouldn't make sense for LIQUID water to rise high in the atmosphere. But it makes perfect sense for water to rise in atmosphere as a GAS.

Water can exist in various forms: solid (ice), liquid, or gas (vapor). Although the form of the water changes throughout the process, it's still water!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

Oceans water evaporates,
oceans water condenses

Kindly advise.

It wouldn't make sense for LIQUID water to rise high in the atmosphere. But it makes perfect sense for water to rise in atmosphere as a GAS. -> This is what I meant, it doesn't makes sense for liquid water to rise high by itself.

Water can exist in various forms: solid (ice), liquid, or gas (vapor). Although the form of the water changes throughout the process, it's still water!

GMATNinja - Doesn't parallel structures require markers as thus, then when they are used to indicate sequencing? For instance it should be Ocean water evaporates, then rises high in the atmosphere and finally condenses.

In this sentence what is the subject for verbs rises and condenses?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]

Send PM
Kudos