GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 08:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Coach Recommendation and Profile

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Coach Recommendation and Profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 12:59
I am a candidate with a low GPA (2.38) and a story and, assuming I score high enough on the GMAT to make it worth while, I would like to find a coach that can demonstrate previous success with candidates like me. Any recommendations on a coach and thoughts on my profile in general are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Goal: Top ten MBA
GPA: 2.38
Degrees: Dual Bachelors degrees in Psychology and Information Systems
GMAT: TBD
Work Experience: Strong
Extra Curricular: Strong

GPA: Yes, my GPA is horrendous from a non-prestigious school and this is a barrier I'm well aware of. Multiple class failures, sometimes the same class more than once, and on paper it took me from 2007 - 2017 to graduate. In reality, I had finished the majority of my degree work in 2012, but held out on finishing the one class I needed to obtain the dual degrees (you have to graduate with both at once).

Story: In reality, school was a family expectation and not where I wanted to be. I started refereeing soccer in 2003 and have worked up to where I currently referee NCAA Division I and professional soccer. During school, I was chasing this dream and regularly skipped class, didn't do assignments, etc. to pursue my true passion. While in hindsight I would have pursued soccer and then done school at a later time, I stuck with school because of family pressure and my disinterest clearly shows in my gpa. In addition to soccer, I also actively participated in a volunteer organization that I was passionate about and by my senior year (2012) was in a role where I chaired a 12 member board and was responsible for 36 clubs across three states and Washington D.C.

Work Experience: In 2012, during my last semester of school, I began working full time in information technology for a large hospital organization and have advanced quickly. Within 18 months I was in my first team lead role and two years later advanced to a manager role. In my current role I have over 25 reports, including team leads with reports, report directly to the executive level, and lead large projects that span the entire enterprise.

Other Experience: In 2014, I founded a young professionals not-for-profit organization in my local community that has now grown to 25 members with hundreds of community service hours performed each year. I am also now the founding president of the 501C3 foundation we have started.

Why MBA: Long-term, my goals are to either become an executive or to start my own management consulting firm. I believe that completing an MBA at a top ten and then going into a big 4 management consulting role will give me an expanded skills set and level of knowledge as well as diversify my background. In the future, I do not want to be limited to just IT and I believe this would be an excellent catalyst to change that without having to move backwards.

My Ask: I'm sure several will tell me that my GPA rules out top ten, but I have read stories of those with the same or worse being accepted. I'm looking for a coach that believes in my potential to be accepted and can demonstrate previous success with candidates like me. I realize that my GMAT score is going to be critical to this and I plan to take the GMAT at the end of June, but I would like to start seeking out a coach now so I am prepared. Any thoughts or feedback are appreciated.
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Re: Coach Recommendation and Profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 13:32
Hi ITMBA,

Thanks for sharing your background. The most important thing when it comes to a coach/consultant is for you to feel comfortable and to assess whether that person is the right fit for you. At my firm, Ivy Groupe, I believe strongly in authenticity and storytelling to help clients craft compelling and differentiated applications that stand out. You can learn more about my company here. Also, feel free to fill out this form here to schedule a free 30-minute consultation with me if you'd be interested in exploring further.

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 12:02
ITMBA wrote:
I am a candidate with a low GPA (2.38) and a story and, assuming I score high enough on the GMAT to make it worth while, I would like to find a coach that can demonstrate previous success with candidates like me. Any recommendations on a coach and thoughts on my profile in general are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Goal: Top ten MBA
GPA: 2.38
Degrees: Dual Bachelors degrees in Psychology and Information Systems
GMAT: TBD
Work Experience: Strong
Extra Curricular: Strong

GPA: Yes, my GPA is horrendous from a non-prestigious school and this is a barrier I'm well aware of. Multiple class failures, sometimes the same class more than once, and on paper it took me from 2007 - 2017 to graduate. In reality, I had finished the majority of my degree work in 2012, but held out on finishing the one class I needed to obtain the dual degrees (you have to graduate with both at once).

Story: In reality, school was a family expectation and not where I wanted to be. I started refereeing soccer in 2003 and have worked up to where I currently referee NCAA Division I and professional soccer. During school, I was chasing this dream and regularly skipped class, didn't do assignments, etc. to pursue my true passion. While in hindsight I would have pursued soccer and then done school at a later time, I stuck with school because of family pressure and my disinterest clearly shows in my gpa. In addition to soccer, I also actively participated in a volunteer organization that I was passionate about and by my senior year (2012) was in a role where I chaired a 12 member board and was responsible for 36 clubs across three states and Washington D.C.

Work Experience: In 2012, during my last semester of school, I began working full time in information technology for a large hospital organization and have advanced quickly. Within 18 months I was in my first team lead role and two years later advanced to a manager role. In my current role I have over 25 reports, including team leads with reports, report directly to the executive level, and lead large projects that span the entire enterprise.

Other Experience: In 2014, I founded a young professionals not-for-profit organization in my local community that has now grown to 25 members with hundreds of community service hours performed each year. I am also now the founding president of the 501C3 foundation we have started.

Why MBA: Long-term, my goals are to either become an executive or to start my own management consulting firm. I believe that completing an MBA at a top ten and then going into a big 4 management consulting role will give me an expanded skills set and level of knowledge as well as diversify my background. In the future, I do not want to be limited to just IT and I believe this would be an excellent catalyst to change that without having to move backwards.

My Ask: I'm sure several will tell me that my GPA rules out top ten, but I have read stories of those with the same or worse being accepted. I'm looking for a coach that believes in my potential to be accepted and can demonstrate previous success with candidates like me. I realize that my GMAT score is going to be critical to this and I plan to take the GMAT at the end of June, but I would like to start seeking out a coach now so I am prepared. Any thoughts or feedback are appreciated.

Dear ITMBA,
1) Strongly dissuade you to aim for the top 10. Once you are in, you may realize, getting in was the least of the problems (YES, I MEAN IT)... The courses are really tough, and every year, many students crash out. There is no point being struck with a huge debt, if you are not convinced positive returns.
2) Your story looks great; and you may have the right milestones to demonstrate it. Connect with us, talk to us about your mock GMATs, and we can hammer a strategy together. You WILL need a very strong GMAT score to offset most of your GPA (All of it will not get washed away, regardless of what anyone tells you)

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 01:37
Hey ITMBA

Thanks for posting and sharing your story. I think you need to shore up some fundamentals as a first step. You want to show b-schools that you are mature and self-aware and are not the person you were between 2007 and 2017. (Which given how recent this was, may still be tough.) Please complete HBX Core and excel in it! Get a great great. Then, be prepared to write an optional essay that talks about the GPA. Be humble. Own it. Then, you have to ace the GMAT to (help) make up for the GPA. It will never completely mitigate the GPA but a 760 just shows that you have something knocking around upstairs.

In these types of situations, here's what I think...yes of course you should apply to your dream schools. You never know what will happen! But know that your GPA will put you in a very precarious position and nothing is guaranteed. So have a back-up plan. Look at programs outside the Top 20 that you would still be happy attending. Consider part-time as well.

I hope that helps. My suggestion is that once you have the GMAT in the bag, get back in touch! It will be a big factor here.

Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Coach Recommendation and Profile &nbs [#permalink] 05 Apr 2018, 01:37

Coach Recommendation and Profile

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap