GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia (J-Term) VS No MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Columbia J-Term VS No MBA

• 25% [1]
  • 75% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Columbia (J-Term) VS No MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Nov 2015, 17:29
Hey guys,

I've been fortunate to be accepted into Columbia's J-Term program starting this January, and debating whether or not it would be worth it. I would be basically paying out of pocket, but thankfully I have enough cash that I won't go too much (if any) in debt. My background and motivations for pursuing an MBA are below. I have loved reading and posting on the applicant threads, but now would love to hear any of your thoughts or suggestions! Thanks :)

Background
I went to a non-HYP ivy in engineering, worked in quant finance for a while, and have been at a prestigious pre-IPO startup (Dropbox/AirBnB/Uber) for a couple of years in analytics. My college GPA was pretty bad (slightly below 3.0 - I had, I felt, legit reasons for it), and my GMAT was 720. However, I'm in a pretty good spot right now, making more than the median salary (not incl. bonuses) out of Columbia, plus pre-IPO equity (which is obviously very valuable). This is my second year applying to b-school - I got into Duke, Ross last year (and dinged from Booth/Kellogg), but ultimately decided not go to either as it would probably be a perceived "step-down". I came to the conclusion that only an M7 would be worth it for me in the long run, but obviously very difficult given my low gpa.

Why do I even want an MBA?
Most people keep asking me that, given that I'm in a good spot, and MBA's can be looked down upon in Tech. Although I'm making good money, I am in a technical/analytical role (as a data scientist) at a place that can involve a lot of travel and insane amounts of work (banking hours, no kidding), and want to move more into strategy/product management. I actually do believe in the long-term value of an MBA, the brand recognition, the network, the formal/broad business education (it's a good supplement to my engineering background and somewhat narrow minded way of thinking), and the overall advanced degree. My ideal place to work for post-MBA would be an established tech firm (MSoft/Google) as a product manager, and I'm also considering consulting, if I'm fortunate enough to get MBB.

Questions
- Given my background that the J-Term doesn't have an internship - will I be able to find a good job (or even interviews) w/ the goals listed above? Or will I be completely hindered without the internship? For tech, I don't think I'm making that much of a career change, and for MBB, a lot of my past experience is similar to consulting.
- Is the Columbia MBA worth it, paying out of pocket? Alums that I've spoken to have given me a resounding "yes", but others have said I'm crazy (both opinions are biased). I have no shot at H/S/W b/c of my **** grades, but may have a chance at other M7s if I wait a couple of years. Don't know if it's worth waiting either, as opp cost gets even bigger.

Thanks so much!

Originally posted by Fosterizer on 29 Nov 2015, 21:03.
Last edited by Fosterizer on 30 Nov 2015, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Columbia (J-Term) VS No MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 01:15
Fosterizer wrote:
Hey guys,

I've been fortunate to be accepted into Columbia's J-Term program starting this January, and debating whether or not it would be worth it. I would be basically paying out of pocket, but thankfully I have enough cash that I won't go too much (if any) in debt. My background and motivations for pursuing an MBA are below. I have loved reading and posting on the applicant threads, but now would love to hear any of your thoughts or suggestions! Thanks :)

Background
I went to a non-HYP ivy in engineering, worked in quant finance for a while, and have been at a prestigious pre-IPO startup (Dropbox/AirBnB/Uber) for a couple of years in analytics. My college GPA was pretty bad (slightly below 3.0 - I had, I felt, legit reasons for it), and my GMAT was 720. However, I'm in a pretty good spot right now, making more than the median salary (not incl. bonuses) out of Columbia, plus pre-IPO equity (which is obviously very valuable). This is my second year applying to b-school - I got into Duke, Ross last year (and dinged from Booth/Kellogg), but ultimately decided not go to either as it would probably be a perceived "step-down". I came to the conclusion that only an M7 would be worth it for me in the long run, but obviously very difficult given my low gpa.

Most people keep asking me that, given that I'm in a good spot, and MBA's can be looked down upon in Tech. Although I'm making good money, I am in a technical/analytical role (as a data scientist) at a place that can involve a lot of travel and insane amounts of work (banking hours, no kidding), and want to move more into strategy/product management. I actually do believe in the long-term value of an MBA, the brand recognition, the network, the formal/broad business education (it's a good supplement to my engineering background and somewhat narrow minded way of thinking), and the overall advanced degree. My ideal place to work for post-MBA would be an established tech firm (MSoft/Google) as a product manager, and I'm also considering consulting, if I'm fortunate enough to get MBB.

Questions
- Given my background that the J-Term doesn't have an internship - will I be able to find a good job (or even interviews) w/ the goals listed above? Or will I be completely hindered without the internship? For tech, I don't think I'm making that much of a career change, and for MBB, a lot of my past experience is similar to consulting.
- Is the Columbia MBA worth it, paying out of pocket? Alums that I've spoken to have given me a resounding "yes", but others have said I'm crazy (both opinions are biased). I have no shot at H/S/W b/c of my **** grades, but may have a chance at other M7s if I wait a couple of years. Don't know if it's worth waiting either, as opp cost gets even bigger.

Thanks so much!

Congrats for Columbia :good

To give you solid opinion. I'd like to know the following:

1-years of experience you have till now.
2- Opponents' reasons not go to Columbia.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 08:47
Mo2men wrote:

Congrats for Columbia :good

To give you solid opinion. I'd like to know the following:

1-years of experience you have till now.
2- Opponents' reasons not go to Columbia.

Thanks for the response! I have almost 5 years of experience (2 months less). Most of the reasons against Columbia (and MBA in general) have been:

1) I don't directly need an MBA to be where I want to be, and can try to get those jobs directly. However, I believe in the long-term value of the MBA, the network, branding, and formal business education.
2) MBA's are looked down upon in tech. While this may be true, I think that my previous tech experience + engineering background will actually be okay.
3) Columbia's J-Term doesn't have an internship, which will significantly hamper your chances of landing full-time interviews. This point is a little worrisome, but I only plan to apply to MBB and tech shops (for product management or strategy roles).
4) Why do an MBA anyway, when you're making so much money with a lot of valuable equity - anything below H/S/W is not worth it out of pocket. Truth is I probably cannot get into H/S/W because of my low grades and lack of many essays (Columbia itself was a bit surprising b/c I've heard they don't like low stats folks). I didn't apply there this year after my dings from B/K last year.
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2015, 05:42
Hi,
I’m happy to provide you with insights that enlighten you with some ideas.
First off, think in your MBA as valuable journey. Although you stated your long and term goals, you need to reap the benefits of the MBA program. You need to think how MBA will shift or build your mind beside your career. In MBA, you will enhance your experience in life and you will add links and ties to other things. Now are making X amount of money but maybe you will learn new things that will lead to you to 5X. In addition, your tech experience plus engineering are okay but when you get older, you need business mind more than tech mind. Therefore, an MBA will make connect the dots in business.
As you targeting MBB, the internship will be helpful for you. You may come with an offer for full time job or at least, you find if you really want to work for that company or another or abandon consulting to product management. Briefly, you will discover yourself.
Regarding Columbia school, no doubt it is M7 and you will get prestigious education. But in all your words could not see your motive in Columbia. You, even, dumped Ross and Duke, Both are great schools and MIGHT help you achieve your dreams. You mentioned H/W/S. Why do you want to join any one of them? I urge you to search for your real best fit. You need to set real criteria. I give you some examples, if you do not like case method so Harvard is not for you. Do you like big classes? If so, then It might be you school. Do not be afraid of your GPA. You have solid GMAT and also unique experience. With the help of good essays and recommendations, you can go to great schools.
Finally, It is good to listen to others but eventually you need to take your own decision based on real analysis.
I wish you success in your career.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 3.23
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2015, 09:17
Fosterizer wrote:
Hey guys,

Background

Questions

Thanks so much!

Hi

Getting into MBB won't reduce your number of hours or your travel.

However, I sense some hesitation from your side. Therefore, I don't think you should go for it. You should really want to go to a school and not debate on whether it's a mistake.

If I was you, since you have the cash, I would invest in consultants to look over your essays and application and eventually fill in the gaps. GPA is only part of the equation.

Be patient, invest and then re-apply.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2015, 17:11
farrous13 wrote:
Fosterizer wrote:
Hey guys,

Background

Questions

Thanks so much!

Hi

Getting into MBB won't reduce your number of hours or your travel.

However, I sense some hesitation from your side. Therefore, I don't think you should go for it. You should really want to go to a school and not debate on whether it's a mistake.

If I was you, since you have the cash, I would invest in consultants to look over your essays and application and eventually fill in the gaps. GPA is only part of the equation.

Be patient, invest and then re-apply.

Good luck!

Re. MBB - Completely understand, but I'm willing to do that for 2 years. On the consultant part - I already hired a pretty well reputed consultant last year, and another one this year. I don't think I can do much better.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2015, 16:20
Definitely a decision you shouldn't leave to an online blog. I found my time at CBS incredibly useful, but also somewhat changed industries. If it helps with your decision I worked for different VC and Tech companies in NYC during my entire tenure at school while making great connections and really enjoying my time there. An MBA will be what you make of it - if you put effort into it and get to know other students, professors, professionals in NYC and elsewhere, it could be a great boost to your career.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2015, 17:06
The brand recognition and network only matter when you find your first Job... or maybe second if you plan to jump ships within the first 12 months as most do. Having an MBA myself and talking to all those with 5+ years since graduation - in our careers nobody cares where you went to bschool. It won't help you get a better job at this point or at least that's how it feels 5 or 10 years later. Think about the brand as a limited-time advantage you can leverage during the first 1-2 years after graduation. It is very helpful but it is a pretty short expiration.

P.S. Now a less pessimistic perspective - I think MBA is absolutely worth it as it gave me what is pretty hard to describe (closest would be a sense of maturity, confidence, and wisdom). My suggestion would be that you may not be ripe for an MBA just because you make a bit too much money and not desperate enough to jump into a different industry/role. Give it a few more years but don't wait past 28....

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2015, 17:08
Thanks for the responses everyone! I've actually put my deposit down for the J-Term and not looking back. My reasons were:

1) I'm already 26 and getting married this year, and don't want to delay getting an MBA any further. I can also come out of it with little to no debt now.
2) Columbia's probably the best school I can get into because of my grades, and have heard positive things from most alumni I've spoken with. It's really what you make of it as DCTech87 said (btw - would love to connect w/ you!).
3) Bottom line - if I stay at my current job for 2 more years, however well-paying it is, I don't think I'll "move up" much, and would just hone my technical skills, which is not where I want to be long-term.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2015, 23:21
Fosterizer wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone! I've actually put my deposit down for the J-Term and not looking back. My reasons were:

1) I'm already 26 and getting married this year, and don't want to delay getting an MBA any further. I can also come out of it with little to no debt now.
2) Columbia's probably the best school I can get into because of my grades, and have heard positive things from most alumni I've spoken with. It's really what you make of it as DCTech87 said (btw - would love to connect w/ you!).
3) Bottom line - if I stay at my current job for 2 more years, however well-paying it is, I don't think I'll "move up" much, and would just hone my technical skills, which is not where I want to be long-term.

An excellent choice - congratulations on getting into a great program and make the right decision!
Good luck this coming year - should be very exciting.
BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 01:59
Congratulation :gl

I'm happy that you made up your mind.

I wish you success in you life
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 17:18
Curious how your JTerm experience turned out. Where you ended up post graduation, and if you have any follow up advice having gone through the JTerm. Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Columbia (J-Term) VS No MBA &nbs [#permalink] 15 Aug 2018, 17:18

Columbia (J-Term) VS No MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap