Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Columbia vs. MIT Sloan [#permalink]
Apparently, both schools may offer a merit scholarship for your 2nd year based on your 1st year performance:

https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admis ... ellowships
https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/ ... rships.php

The Sloan amount, unfortunately, seems very small, not sure on gsb's.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Here are my thoughts as someone who researched and applied to both programs.

Financial Aid
I believe CBS's policies make it difficult for some internationals to get loans, but that doesn't affect you. Something to keep in mind, though, is that NYC is much more expensive than Cambridge/Boston. So, if you would have to foot the bill yourself at either school, you may emerge with less debt coming out of MIT.

Career Prospects
I agree with others' sentiments that both schools will serve you equally well.

Academics
This is a really personal choice and depends on what you want to get out of your MBA experience. For example, for my goals, the quantitative focus of Sloan's curriculum is a plus.

Student Life
I also got the impression that Sloan students are a more tight-knit bunch. That said, I've spoken to a lot of recent CBS alumni and current students that say CBS's reputation as a commuter school is completely overblown.

Overall Prestige
Personally, I'd argue that the MIT name has a greater cachet than the Columbia name amongst laymen. That said, they are equally "prestigious" in MBA circles (i.e., those doing the post-MBA hiring).

Honestly, I think the schools are virtually even for non-finance and non-tech careers. Although I know I'm biased (see my results to the left), I much prefer MIT to Columbia. I had the chance to visit both schools and feel like Sloanies are more "my" type of people. Will you have the chance to go to either school's admit weekend?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
I vote Sloan.

As everyone else has said, both are about equal in their consulting prospects. As I'm sure you're already aware, Sloan also has a really strong VC/PE community not just at the MBA level, but at MIT in general. Admittedly, I know very little about CBS's resources in that area, but VC is such a strength of Sloan's.

You're clearly very worried about $$ (understandable concern), and Boston, while not cheap, is MUCH less expensive to live than NYC. Considering MIT is in Kendall Square, you could easily live in Central Square (1 stop down on the T or a 15-20 minute walk) for around $700-800 if you're willing to have roommates. You can find even better deals if you're willing to go into Porter/Davis Square (my friends pay between $550-750 for shared housing), which are both a few stops beyond Central or about a 10-15 minute T ride. I didn't apply to any schools in NYC precisely because of cost of living concerns, though I know the city clearly has its merits!

Good luck on your choice! Happy to answer any other questions about Cambridge/Boston/MIT if you have 'em (born & raised here by an MIT alum)!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats on the acceptances! While I won't be attending either, I visited both and would go with Sloan.

Sloan offers better prospects with MBB, a more collaborative environment, WAY better facilities and better and more livable location to study. I'm sure almost every recruiter who is in town to go to Harvard will also visit MIT, so no shortage of top-flight options.

Overall, Sloan is definitely a slightly more prestigious (yet somehow still very under-rated) MBA program. Good luck with your decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Thank you to all who have chimed in so far - this is definitely all good feedback to consider. I'd like to focus a little bit more on the career prospects. It seems that there is a little bit of differing opinion on the odds of breaking into MBB right out of business school. If anyone has anymore insight on which school would better support the transition to MBB (even if its a slight difference). Seems like the consensus is MIT is better for VC - does anyone beg to differ?

Where are all the CBS supporters - I'd be interested to hear from someone who would go for Columbia and why.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
64 wrote:
... into Management Consulting in the short run and then VC/PE in the long run...

Why the scenic route?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I don't think Columbia is more recognized all over the world than MIT is. I'd say the opposite...

https://wallpapers.brothersoft.com/good- ... x1080.html

enough said

for career prospects...I believe McKinsey recruits more CBS MBAs than any school besides INSEAD and HBS - source a CBS class of 2012 alumn currently with McK Dallas office. However, I think at Sloan you'll have great opportunity - they have a consulting track. My bottom line opinion here is you can't really go wrong...you'll land an interview at either school if you work hard to get it.

CBS is a very tight knit community. Yes, it's technically a commuter school, but the program is structured so that you have a cluster and learning-teams who you are incredibly close with. I visited with people in their second year and they mentioned the night before they were out until 2 AM with their cluster...started with dinner and ended at a bar....and they do it monthly at least. He said they're some of his best friends. That added to the fact that people show up at CBS in the AM and spend the day there...some say they think they are closer b/c if it wasn't a 'commuter' school they'd probably split and go home all the time instead of hanging out...this doesnt even cover club involvement...

Sloan's also a clear tight-knit community and I had the most awesome vibe hanging out with students there. I loved my visit to Sloan a lot more than I did with CBS - it jumped to the top of my list with Kellogg.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
64 wrote:
Thank you to all who have chimed in so far - this is definitely all good feedback to consider. I'd like to focus a little bit more on the career prospects. It seems that there is a little bit of differing opinion on the odds of breaking into MBB right out of business school. If anyone has anymore insight on which school would better support the transition to MBB (even if its a slight difference). Seems like the consensus is MIT is better for VC - does anyone beg to differ?

Where are all the CBS supporters - I'd be interested to hear from someone who would go for Columbia and why.

Zero difference in breaking into MBB. Both will get you an interview without a problem, then it is 100% up to you to nail the case interview. I've been through the process, have offers and know many people at MBB, so I can tell you this with confidence
Director
Director
Send PM
64 wrote:

Out of curiosity, which did you choose?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Ultimately ended up going with CBS as they came through with a nice fellowship which MIT couldn't match. Made the decision a little easier. Sloan is an incredible school though - could have easily seen myself being happy there as well. Good luck to all with the decision process.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
64 wrote:
Ultimately ended up going with CBS as they came through with a nice fellowship which MIT couldn't match. Made the decision a little easier. Sloan is an incredible school though - could have easily seen myself being happy there as well. Good luck to all with the decision process.

Congrats on the fellowship!
Director
Director
Send PM
64 wrote:

Makes sense. Money is a great tie-breaker in situations like this. Good luck at CBS!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts