GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Comparison in SC with tools like ( compared with/to )

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
Comparison in SC with tools like ( compared with/to ) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 19:00
Hi ,
my question is about comparison tools , such as : (this is from Magoosh Idiom ebook )
(p.10 )
compare A to B
compare to
compared to (or compared with)
in contrast to A, B

"The GMAT does not like the words “compared to” or “compared with” combined with other
comparative words:
Compared to A, B is taller.
A has more money, compared to B.

However , in the preposition "with" , we have 3 idioms :
compare A with B
contrast A with B
consistent with

and here is a right example :
17) Compared with most Old World wines, California wines are simpler and more fruit dominant

so , we used "compared with " AND other
comparative words:more & -er .

so please can you explain clearly what type of these comparison idioms are true ? and when "compared with " is considered wrong ?

Thanks

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Comparison in SC with tools like ( compared with/to ) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 23:49
According to Google , compared with is used to point out differences, on the other hand, compared to is used for pointing out similarity. If one situation is analogous to another, we use compare to.

Hope this helps, it helped me though

Regards !!

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 01:32
'Compare to' is used to show how 2 different things are similar, while, 'compare with' is used to compare similarities between 2 similar things

In short,
If 2 things are similar, use 'with'. Eg: Ram compared his shirt with that of Sham. Here, you will use 'with' as you are comparing 2 similar things,ie, shirts.
If 2 things are not similar, use 'to'.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 08:36
so can we use compared with/to AND more/-er at the same time ?
I am confused because of this point , in the idioms ebook, they made it clear that we CAN'T . but a few pages later , it was used and considered right .
17) Compared with most Old World wines, California wines are simpler and more fruit dominant .

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 14:59
please can you explain clearly what type of these comparison idioms are true ? and when "compared with " is considered wrong ?

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 15:00
Please GMATNinja

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 21:29
foryearss wrote:
Please GMATNinja

I don't think you're going to like my response!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about this at all. For starters, I don't think it's a great use of time to obsess over a single family of idioms. There are more than 25,000 idioms in English, so what are the odds that any individual idiom that you HAPPEN to study is going to make a huge difference? More on that here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html.

Second, I'm not sure that there are any official GMAT questions in which the distinction between "compared with" and "compared to" is actually a deciding factor. I think that ishan92 is broadly correct -- "compared with" would make a bit more sense if two things are similar ("Compared with the GMAT, the GRE almost seems fun and easy."), and "compared to" might be used when two things are more obviously different ("The baby screamed all night, so her exhausted father compared her to a Tasmanian devil.") But there's a blurry line between those two scenarios, and I'm not sure that it will ever really matter on an official question.

The GMAT does, of course, LOVE comparisons -- but comparison questions are mostly concerned with the logic of what, exactly, is being compared. More on comparisons in this long-winded webinar and in this follow-up video.

I hope this helps a bit!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 22:24
Quote:
I hope this helps a bit!

Sure , thanks !
What about this question :
Quote:
so can we use compared with/to AND more/-er at the same time ?

I was confuse because in Idioms E-book they it was mentioned clearly that we CANNOT , but after few pages it was used .
For example ,
17) Compared with most Old World wines, California wines are simpler and more fruit dominant . (considered right)
Compared to A, B is taller. (considered wrong)
A has more money, compared to B. (considered wrong)

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 01:56
GMATNinja wrote:
foryearss wrote:
Please GMATNinja

I don't think you're going to like my response!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about this at all. For starters, I don't think it's a great use of time to obsess over a single family of idioms. There are more than 25,000 idioms in English, so what are the odds that any individual idiom that you HAPPEN to study is going to make a huge difference? More on that here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html.

Second, I'm not sure that there are any official GMAT questions in which the distinction between "compared with" and "compared to" is actually a deciding factor. I think that ishan92 is broadly correct -- "compared with" would make a bit more sense if two things are similar ("Compared with the GMAT, the GRE almost seems fun and easy."), and "compared to" might be used when two things are more obviously different ("The baby screamed all night, so her exhausted father compared her to a Tasmanian devil.") But there's a blurry line between those two scenarios, and I'm not sure that it will ever really matter on an official question.

The GMAT does, of course, LOVE comparisons -- but comparison questions are mostly concerned with the logic of what, exactly, is being compared. More on comparisons in this long-winded webinar and in this follow-up video.

I hope this helps a bit!

Dear GMATNinja

I'm really interested in the question of the poster. However, you seem answer another question. I know the GMAT does not care about the subtle difference between 'compared' to or 'compared with'. But actually, the real question, can we combine 2 types of comparison in 1 sentence. i.e. From your example above can we say:

1- Compared with the GMAT, the GRE is easier.
or
Compared with the GMAT, the GRE is easy.

2- Compared to John, Anne has more money.
or
Compared to John, Anne has significant amount of money.

Which one is correct?

Thanks in advance
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 21:37
foryearss wrote:
What about this question :
17) Compared with most Old World wines, California wines are simpler and more fruit dominant . (considered right)
Compared to A, B is taller. (considered wrong)
A has more money, compared to B. (considered wrong)

Mo2men wrote:

1- Compared with the GMAT, the GRE is easier.
or
Compared with the GMAT, the GRE is easy.

2- Compared to John, Anne has more money.
or
Compared to John, Anne has significant amount of money.

Which one is correct?

Thanks in advance

Hm, this is a little bit tricky. Personally, I think that there's no good reason to write any of the following:

Compared with the GMAT, the GRE is easier.
    Compared to John, Anne has more money.
    Compared to A, B is taller.
    A has more money, compared to B.

These all just seem redundant and silly to me. The fact that you're making a comparison is obvious from the phrase "compared to" or "compared with." So why "double" the comparison by using "easier" or "more" or "taller"? In all four of these cases, there are clearly much better ways to write the sentence.

But this is a little bit different:

1. Compared with most Old World wines, California wines are simpler and more fruit dominant.
    2. Compared with most Old World wines, California wines are simple and more fruit dominant.

In this case, I'd argue that replacing "simpler" with "simple" -- removing the "double comparison" -- would change the meaning in an unfortunate way. If the sentence said "simple", then it would sound like California wines are actually simple, and then you'd be basically insulting California wines. (Speaking as an ex-Californian, ex-bartender: don't mess with California wines.) We want to say that California wines are simpler than their Old World counterparts (and that's not actually true, incidentally -- there have been quite a few blind tasting competitions that suggest the opposite), not that California wines are simple.

To be fair: technically speaking, the phrase "compared with most Old World wines" should make it clear that California wines are simple only relative to Old World wines. But in reality, most readers would understand the meaning much more clearly if the sentence used "simpler" instead of "simple."

So there's really no hard-and-fast rule that you can apply to this situation, unfortunately. I'd love to say that it's ALWAYS REDUNDANT to use "compared with" or "compared to" with another comparison word ("simpler", "easier", etc.), but I think there are cases when it actually makes sense to do so. Those cases are rare, but they certainly exist.

Do I get a prize for writing the least satisfying answers ever? ;)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Re: Comparison in SC with tools like ( compared with/to )   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2018, 21:37

Comparison in SC with tools like ( compared with/to )

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap