Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 2.97
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Consulting with low undergrad GPA -- is it possible? [#permalink]
Yes I dont think the undergrad GPA would be that big of a deal, especially if has been years ago... They'd look at prior work exp I imagine, in addition to the aforementioned GMAT and MBA performance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
Can anyone else chime in on this? Anyone had success getting into a top tier firm with a relatively low undergrad gpa?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 2.97
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Just to update the thread, I was the original poster. The short story is that I was in fact able to get a full time job in management consulting with a boutique firm.

The longer story: Due to having a young family I had soured on wanting a career in management consulting. I figured that the travel would just be overwhelming. I interviewed with the larger firms for internships and was out of luck for an internship to try out the management consulting lifestyle for the summer. I instead took an internship in corporate finance. I liked the hours and then decided I wouldn't pursue consulting for full time recruiting. I didn't apply to any firms but was approached by a boutique firm who explained that they didn't travel as much. I applied and was able to leverage my past experience as a software sales rep to land a job with this firm that was sales operations focused.

It was a great job and the travel was indeed light. Key takeaway was that i was able to find a firm that was interested in my strengths (strong work experience in their key practice area) and cared little about my weak GPA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.1
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Pre777 wrote:
Just to update the thread, I was the original poster. The short story is that I was in fact able to get a full time job in management consulting with a boutique firm.

The longer story: Due to having a young family I had soured on wanting a career in management consulting. I figured that the travel would just be overwhelming. I interviewed with the larger firms for internships and was out of luck for an internship to try out the management consulting lifestyle for the summer. I instead took an internship in corporate finance. I liked the hours and then decided I wouldn't pursue consulting for full time recruiting. I didn't apply to any firms but was approached by a boutique firm who explained that they didn't travel as much. I applied and was able to leverage my past experience as a software sales rep to land a job with this firm that was sales operations focused.

It was a great job and the travel was indeed light. Key takeaway was that i was able to find a firm that was interested in my strengths (strong work experience in their key practice area) and cared little about my weak GPA.

Thank you for updating your story...I wish more posters who came in and had questions like yours years ago would update as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
I dont think the top firms even asked for UG GPA except for BCG which requires you to bring your UG transcript to second round interviews. There might have been a section for it in the original application at some firms but you can opt out if you want and still get interviews. If your GPA is good enough to get you into a decent business school, its going to be good enough to get you an interview. Or, at least it wont be the thing that prevents you from getting one.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
The only time UG GPA really matters is when you're applying to consulting firms right out of college (i.e. without an MBA). As with most applications, it's your most recent stuff that matters (high school grades for college admission, college grades for grad school admission, etc.). For undergraduate recruiting, most consulting firms do have a minimum GPA (usually ~3.5). Under those circumstances, you can still apply, but the chances of getting an interview are really low.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts