GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 01:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Coral reefs are one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Coral reefs are one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 08:12
Took 8 minutes for the passage including 2.30 minutes to read the passage.

Got all questions correct.

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Re: Coral reefs are one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 20:00
jabhatta wrote:
For question 1, OG is B. Why is D not an answer ? Doesnt the first para talk about the way food is prepared ..

jabhatta
Hello,
Your point is true for first paragraph only. The second paragraph is not talking about food preparation by these corals.
When we are asked for the main purpose of a passage, we have to answer keeping all paragraphs in our mind.
That is why B is not the correct answer.

I hope you get the idea.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 20:06
ronr34 wrote:
Question 2: why isn't the answer E?

It's stated in the first sentence of the article.... they are " one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and diverse marine ecosystems on Earth."

What's wrong with option E?

Hello ronr34,
Let me explain your query.
It is truly mentioned that they(Reefs) belong to some of the most fragile, etc.. ecosystems. in the passage, but it is not compared with species on dry land.
So we can't tell the specific comparison between dry land species and these reefs from this passage.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 11:42
i hope i get this passage in the exam
:D

But i got 1 wrong
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 04:39
Simple passage ,all correct
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 18:10
P1 - CR ecosystem defined.
P2- human activities are affecting CR.
Main point - CR ecosystem and HA are affecting it in what manners.

1. The passage is primarily concerned with:

(A) describing the effects of human activities on algae in coral reefs - p2
(B) explaining how human activities are posing a threat to coral reef communities - closest.
(C) discussing the process by which coral reefs deteriorate in nutrient-poor waters - no
(D) explaining how coral reefs produce food for themselves - p1
(E) describing the abundance of algae and filter feeding animals in coral reef areas - no

------------------------------------------------
2. The passage suggests which of the following about coral reef communities?
(A) Coral reef communities may actually be more likely to thrive in waters that are relatively low in nutrients. -
(B) The nutrients on which coral reef communities thrive are only found in shallow waters. -
(C) Human population growth has led to changing ocean temperatures, which threatens coral reef communities. - no
(D) The growth of coral reef communities tends to destabilize underwater herbivore populations. - no
(E) Coral reef communities are more complex and diverse than most ecosystems located on dry land. - no comparison.

3. The author refers to “ filter-feeding animals” (lines 23–24) in order to
Typical symptoms of reef decline are destabilized herbivore populations and an increasing abundance of algae and filter-feeding animals.
(A) provide an example of a characteristic sign of reef deterioration - y

4. According to the passage, which of the following is a factor that is threatening the survival of coral reef communities?
P2 has it.

(E) Waste by-products result in an increase in nutrient input to reef communities. - yes

-------------------------------------------------
5. It can be inferred from the passage that the author describes coral reef communities as paradoxical most likely for which of the following reasons?

(C) They are able to survive in an environment with limited food resources. - best of the lot. they survive even in abundance.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Coral reefs are one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and &nbs [#permalink] 24 Sep 2018, 18:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Coral reefs are one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap