GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 19:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell Johnson ($) vs. McCombs (Full Ride)

new topic post reply Update application status  

McCombs or Cornell

• 71% [10]
  • 28% [4]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing
GRE 1: Q161 V164
GPA: 3.42
Cornell Johnson ($) vs. McCombs (Full Ride)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Feb 2019, 09:36
Hi All,

Kinda have the gut feeling I want to choose Cornell but I figured I'd get some 3rd-party opinions (I've also applied to Kellogg round 2 and would go there over anything if admitted, but for now, cornell and mccombs are my options). I'm interested in brand management, probably CPG but open. Coming from a financial services background, so I'm a career switcher. I dont mind being far for school, but i do (in the scope of the next decade) want to end up back in the Northeast, where my family is. I'm worried I will get trapped in the southwest if I go to McCombs, and that their brand isn't recognizable enough in the rest of the country. Cornell gave me about 20%, full ride from mccombs...proving very hard to give up, but I worry i've chosen McCombs more for location/cost than anything else.

EDIT: FYI, have visited both schools twice at this point, attended McCombs preview weekend

Thanks!

Originally posted by Mgraynap on 04 Feb 2019, 12:47.
Last edited by Mgraynap on 05 Feb 2019, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Cornell Johnson ($) vs. McCombs (Full Ride)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 09:34
I would visit both schools if you haven’t before. If you haven’t been to Austin before it’s like combining San Francisco and Nashville. Pretty awesome place for young people and the city has a growing business climate.
You are correct that Cornell’s brand is going to be much stronger on the east coast but it’s to you if that difference is worth $100k.

Good luck and congrats on getting into two great schools. I will be applying Oct 2019 to both schools in efforts to move out of accounting and into investment banking. Mind if I follow up with you in a couple months?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 09:36
NonB4taxMBAib wrote:
I would visit both schools if you haven’t before. If you haven’t been to Austin before it’s like combining San Francisco and Nashville. Pretty awesome place for young people and the city has a growing business climate.
You are correct that Cornell’s brand is going to be much stronger on the east coast but it’s to you if that difference is worth $100k.

Good luck and congrats on getting into two great schools. I will be applying Oct 2019 to both schools in efforts to move out of accounting and into investment banking. Mind if I follow up with you in a couple months?

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for the advice! And yes feel free to follow up, just PM me
Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 10:24
It's a brand that will stick to you for life. If money is not important don't miss the chance get an Ivy league MBA on your resume.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 12:13
Congrats on your admits!
Ranking-wise I think there is not that much difference.

At the same time, I think you have legit concerns about Texas and Cornell's network (esp undergrad).
McCombs is big in Tech placement and fairly regional. It is a hard choice and depends a bit on your network in the North East. Can you leverage that recruit for a job there?

It is hard to choose immediate $100K impact vs. potential future job recruiting and value from the alum network. Has to be your gut and whatever you feel more comfortable with. Some people throw caution to the wind and others are very rational with their decisions. I have changed my gut feel personality multiple times and sometimes i change it based on what else happened that day.

If you are a proactive and self-starter, I see picking Texas. If you need a fire under you to deliver results, then go for Johnson.
Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 05:12
bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits!
Ranking-wise I think there is not that much difference.

At the same time, I think you have legit concerns about Texas and Cornell's network (esp undergrad).
McCombs is big in Tech placement and fairly regional. It is a hard choice and depends a bit on your network in the North East. Can you leverage that recruit for a job there?

It is hard to choose immediate $100K impact vs. potential future job recruiting and value from the alum network. Has to be your gut and whatever you feel more comfortable with. Some people throw caution to the wind and others are very rational with their decisions. I have changed my gut feel personality multiple times and sometimes i change it based on what else happened that day.

If you are a proactive and self-starter, I see picking Texas. If you need a fire under you to deliver results, then go for Johnson.
Good Luck!

THanks for the input!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Cornell Johnson ($) vs. McCombs (Full Ride)   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2019, 05:12

Cornell Johnson ($) vs. McCombs (Full Ride)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap